Ant crawls on a meter strick with acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the acceleration and position of an ant crawling on a meter stick. The ant's initial velocity and position are given, and the equations for velocity and position are determined. The question is asked about the ant's average velocity over the first 3 seconds and first 6 seconds of its journey. The conversation also discusses a mistake made in integrating the velocity instead of the acceleration. The correct method is then used to find the average velocity over the first 3 seconds, which is determined to be 2.375m/s.
Alem2000
I have a question ..an ant crawls on a meter strick with acceleration

[tex]a(t)=t-1/2t^2[/tex]. After t seconds the ants intiial velocity is 2cm/s.

The ants initial poistion is the 50cm mark. So ten [tex]\int_{a}^{b}f(t)dt[/tex]

and [tex]v(t)=1/2t^2-1/6t^3+c[/tex] and because [tex]v(0)=2m/s[/tex]

the equation is [tex]v(t)=1/2t^2-1/6t^3+2[/tex] and I did the same thing for

the position function and came up with the final function for positon of

[tex]s(t)=1/6t^3-1/24t^4+2t+50[/tex]...the problem is when asked what

was the ants average velocity over the first 3 seconds of its journey. Using

the [tex]\frac{1}{b-a}\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx[/tex]

theorem...[tex]\frac{1}{3}\int_{0}^{3}t-\frac{1}{2}t^2dt[/tex] then I

got [tex]\frac{1}{3}(\frac{9}{2}-\frac{27}{6})-\frac{1}{3}(0)[/tex]...Right

here where the lower limit is [tex]0[/tex] I dicided that since

[tex]v(0)=2[/tex] I would enter that value in for

it...[tex]\frac{1}{3}(\frac{9}{2}-\frac{27}{6})-\frac{1}{3}(2)[/tex] but

my answer came out to be [tex]-\frac{2}{3}[/tex] which I wouldn't get if i

averaged the regualr function without using the theorem

[tex]\frac{1}{b-a}\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx[/tex]. Am I wrong?

And the second qustion is the same question except.."over the first 6 seconds of its journy" so [tex][0,6][/tex]...the graph for this function goes down into the negatives...?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you averaging the acceleration, instead of the velocity ?

Hmm that's seems like a dumb mistake :uhh: I should be integrating the velocity
ay?
[tex]\frac{1}{b-a}\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{3}\int_{0}^{3}\frac{1}{2}t^2-\frac{1}{6}t^3+2dt[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{3}(\frac{57}{8})-\frac{1}{3}(0)[/tex] comes out to be

[tex]2.375m/s[/tex]. Does anyone have any comment on that answer? I think its right from looking at the graph.

Last edited:
Use the basic definition of "average velocity". Since you already have the distance function, how far did the ant crawl between t= 0 and t= 3? Now divide the distance by 3 seconds.

What is the concept of "Ant crawls on a meter strick with acceleration"?

The concept refers to a scenario in which an ant crawls along a meter stick while experiencing acceleration. This means that the ant's speed increases or decreases over time while it moves along the stick.

What factors affect the acceleration of the ant?

The acceleration of the ant is affected by several factors, including the force applied to the ant, the mass of the ant, and the friction between the ant's legs and the meter stick. These factors can either increase or decrease the ant's acceleration.

How does the ant's acceleration change over time?

The ant's acceleration changes over time because of the constant forces acting on it. As the ant moves along the meter stick, the forces may change, causing the ant's acceleration to increase, decrease, or remain constant.

What is the relationship between the ant's acceleration and its speed?

The ant's acceleration and speed are directly related. This means that as the ant's acceleration increases, its speed also increases. Similarly, when the acceleration decreases, the ant's speed also decreases.

How does the angle of the meter stick affect the ant's acceleration?

The angle of the meter stick can affect the ant's acceleration by changing the direction of the force acting on the ant. For example, if the stick is inclined, the force of gravity will cause the ant to accelerate downward, while a horizontal stick will provide a more balanced force on the ant, resulting in a constant acceleration.