Convincing a female friend to buy an aluminium bicycle

In summary, an aluminium bike is lighter and can be made to have similar stiffness to a steel frame. However, a steel framed bike is a smoother ride and will last longer.
bill nye scienceguy!
So one of my friends is buying a bicycle and I'm trying to convince her to plump for an aluminium model over some ridiculous 'retro' steel thing.

I want to illustrate how aluminium allows for lighter structural members even taking into account the wider diameter tubes that ensure similar stiffness.

I'm not sure how to display it graphically though, any ideas?

(ps I'm just doing this for fun. She's already gone on record as saying 'this is getting too technical. i just want a blue one with a basket' :p)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Get her to ride both, then apologise when she prefers the feel of a steel frame.

brewnog said:
Get her to ride both, then apologise when she prefers the feel of a steel frame.
Yep! Sometimes high-tech has little advantage over old-school when personal preferences are factored in. My wife and I bought nice alloy-framed mountain bikes about 15 years ago, and I think she really would like to have her old English-style 3-speed back for use on back roads. The only time she rides trails anymore is when she goes with her sister, and they ride a really flat rail-bed from Embden to Bingham and back. No need for 18 speeds, ultra-light frame and big knobby tires for that. Plus, the straight-up seating on her old bike was easier on her back.

Just buy the blue one with a basket.

Women don't care about performance or technical criteria. We went to buy my missus a new Beetle, the only thing she was actually adamant about was getting a flower in the little vase on the dash when she picked it up.

Why get a boring alumimun framed bike, when you can pay at least 10 times as much for a custom-made-to-measure carbon fiber frame? :smile:

My company ran a 'bike to work' scheme last year, I spent a small fortune on a bike but couldn't afford the steel version to had to go aluminium instead.

Tell her the steel model makes her look fat.

jack action said:
Tell her the steel model makes her look fat.
:rofl:

bill nye scienceguy! said:
So one of my friends is buying a bicycle and I'm trying to convince her to plump for an aluminium model over some ridiculous 'retro' steel thing.
Why?

I want to illustrate how aluminium allows for lighter structural members even taking into account the wider diameter tubes that ensure similar stiffness.
So what?

I'm not sure how to display it graphically though, any ideas?
What is you motive for wanting her to get an aluminum one?

(ps I'm just doing this for fun. She's already gone on record as saying 'this is getting too technical. i just want a blue one with a basket' :p)
It sounds to me like she's already made up her mind.

Nothing wrong with a solid steel framed bike. They might be a bit heavier, but its actually a smoother ride compared to aluminum. Regardless, a decently built steel bike will beat the heck out of a walmart aluminum bike any day. So if anything make sure she gets a decent bike for her money at a reputable bike shop. I used to be a mechanic in a shop. Trust me, there's a huge difference in quality between the two.

1. How is an aluminium bicycle different from other types of bicycles?

An aluminium bicycle is made from a lightweight and durable metal that is commonly used in the aerospace industry. This makes it much lighter than steel or carbon fiber bicycles, making it easier to ride and transport.

2. Is an aluminium bicycle more expensive than other types of bicycles?

The cost of an aluminium bicycle can vary depending on the brand and model, but in general, they are more affordable than carbon fiber bicycles. They also tend to be more durable, which can save money on repairs and replacements in the long run.

3. What are the benefits of owning an aluminium bicycle?

Aluminium bicycles are known for their lightweight and durable frames, making them easier to ride and less susceptible to damage. They also tend to have a more responsive ride, making them a popular choice for road and mountain biking. Additionally, aluminium is a recyclable material, making it a more environmentally-friendly option.

4. Can an aluminium bicycle handle rough terrain?

Yes, aluminium bicycles are designed to handle a variety of terrains, including rough and uneven surfaces. They are commonly used for mountain biking and can withstand the impact of rocks and bumps on the trail.

5. How can I convince my female friend to buy an aluminium bicycle?

You can highlight the benefits of owning an aluminium bicycle, such as its lightweight and durable frame, affordable cost, and versatility in handling different terrains. You can also suggest trying out a rental or test ride to see if it is a good fit for her. Additionally, you can mention that aluminium bicycles come in a variety of styles and designs, making it a fashionable and practical choice for female cyclists.

Back