Torque & Speed Graphs - What Does No Torque Mean?

In summary, torque is the force that creates rotation and is similar to acceleration. When the motor is at its top speed, it requires very little torque to maintain that speed due to internal friction and other losses. This is why there is no torque at the shaft output, but it is still being produced.
Jones1987
When the motor is producing its top speed, and there is no torque, I cannot picture what this means. I understand that low speeds = high torques, as I can picture an object moving slowly because of its torque.

I undersrtand torque as the force that creates rotation, so if a shaft is rotating at its max speed, and it reads out no torque, why is this? Is this due to the momentum the shaft has therefore it no longer needs torque?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Think of torque like acceleration. One you hit top speed, you need very little acceleration to counteract drag/friction to maintain that top speed.

There is no torque at the shaft output, but there is still torque being produced. It is only all taken by internal friction and other losses.

1. What is torque and speed graph?

A torque and speed graph is a graphical representation of how torque and speed vary with respect to each other. It shows how the speed of an object changes as torque is applied to it, and vice versa.

2. How is torque measured?

Torque is measured in units of force multiplied by distance, such as Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft). It is typically measured using a torque wrench or a dynamometer.

3. What does it mean when there is no torque on a graph?

When there is no torque on a torque and speed graph, it means that there is no force being applied to the object, or the force is being applied at a zero distance from the axis of rotation. This results in no change in speed.

4. What does a negative torque on a graph indicate?

A negative torque on a torque and speed graph indicates that the force is being applied in the opposite direction of the object's motion. This can result in a decrease in speed or even a change in direction.

5. How does the slope of a torque and speed graph relate to the object's inertia?

The slope of a torque and speed graph is directly proportional to the object's inertia. A steeper slope indicates a higher inertia, meaning that more torque is required to achieve the same change in speed compared to a flatter slope.