Satellite Orbit around the earth, speed?

In summary: In this case, the units of the period should be in seconds, the mass in kilograms, and the universal gravitational constant in cubic meters per kilogram per second squared. In summary, to find the speed at which the satellite travels in a circular orbit around the Earth, you can use Kepler's Third Law and the fact that the gravitational force of attraction between the Earth and the satellite is equal to the centripetal force experienced by the satellite. The formula for speed is equal to (2piR)/T, where T is the period of the satellite and R is the radius of the orbit, which can be calculated using Kepler's Third Law. Just remember to use the correct units when plugging in values for the formula.
neoncrazy101
The question is...
A satellite is in a circular orbit about the Earth (M = 5.98 x 1024 kg). The period of the satellite is 6.72 x 104 s. What is the speed at which the satellite travels?

I know the speed is equal to (2piR)/6.72x10^4s But I can't figure out the radius. I know the Earth's radius is 6.38x10^6 but how can I go about figuring out the radius that the satellite travels?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use the fact that the gravitational force of attraction between the Earth and the satellite is equal to the centripetal force experienced by the satellite.

You know T, so you can get ω using ω =2π /T.

alright thanks but one question, I am not familiar with the w looking thing nor the 2n. What are they?

neoncrazy101 said:
alright thanks but one question, I am not familiar with the w looking thing nor the 2n. What are they?

ω = omega = angular velocity

n = constant pi = 3.1415...

neoncrazy101 said:
The question is...
A satellite is in a circular orbit about the Earth (M = 5.98 x 1024 kg). The period of the satellite is 6.72 x 104 s. What is the speed at which the satellite travels?

I know the speed is equal to (2piR)/6.72x10^4s But I can't figure out the radius. I know the Earth's radius is 6.38x10^6 but how can I go about figuring out the radius that the satellite travels?

You could apply Kepler's Third Law to get the radius. The square of the period divided by the cube of the orbital radius equals 2pi divided by GM (i.e., the universal gravitational constant times the mass of the body at the center of the orbit).

Just be careful with units.

1. What is the average speed of a satellite in orbit around the Earth?

The average speed of a satellite in orbit around the Earth is approximately 17,500 miles per hour, or about 28,000 kilometers per hour. This speed is necessary for the satellite to maintain its orbit and counteract the pull of Earth's gravity.

2. How does the altitude of a satellite's orbit affect its speed?

The altitude of a satellite's orbit has a direct impact on its speed. The higher the altitude, the slower the satellite's speed. This is because the pull of Earth's gravity is weaker at higher altitudes, allowing the satellite to maintain its orbit with less speed.

3. Can the speed of a satellite in orbit be changed?

Yes, the speed of a satellite in orbit can be changed. This is usually done by firing the satellite's onboard thrusters, which can increase or decrease its velocity. However, changing the speed of a satellite in orbit requires careful calculation and planning to avoid disrupting its orbit or causing it to fall back to Earth.

4. How does the shape of a satellite's orbit affect its speed?

The shape of a satellite's orbit, also known as its eccentricity, does not have a significant impact on its speed. However, a more elliptical orbit (higher eccentricity) may cause the satellite's speed to vary slightly as it moves closer to and further from Earth during its orbit.

5. What factors can cause a satellite's speed to change while in orbit?

The primary factor that can cause a satellite's speed to change while in orbit is atmospheric drag. As a satellite moves through the Earth's upper atmosphere, it experiences friction, which can slow it down. Other factors that can affect a satellite's speed include gravitational pull from other celestial bodies and external forces, such as solar wind.