Doomsday Preppers: Are They Mentally Ill?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the families on this show believe in doomsday scenarios that could destroy the Earth. One family is preparing for a solar flare that will destroy the planet, while the other family is preparing for a terrorist attack that will result in a nuclear holocaust. Both families have children that are living in constant fear and anxiety. Is this child abuse? Should mentally ill people be allowed to do this to children?
Willowz said:
What about Tom Cruise and his $10 million bunker under his house. Built for the same 'reason' this family is. I saw a program showing how some bunker manufacturer is getting tons of orders after the Fukushima disaster. Everyone is so insecure and atomized. Might as well hide in a bunker for the rest of your life. Not
Willowz,

Maybe Crew's took his role in "War of the Worlds" too seriously, and/or his belief in the Church of Scientology might have something to do with it. If this is true, then it begs the question, why isn't John Travolta (also a member) not like Crews ?

Rhody...

P.S. I thought you might like this... "www.tomcruiseisnuts.com"[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
There is when you are expecting hoards of people attacking you in your underground bunker because of some imaginary doomsday event.

That's irrational.
Everybody that I know on this road and surrounding area has firearms. Most everybody hunts (one guy doesn't, except to kill garden pests), plus there is extra incentive to stay armed and trained in marksmanship: Burglaries and home invasions are up locally over the last 5 years or so due to an increase in the abuse of meth and prescription pain-killers. When you live at least 20 minutes from the nearest possible 911 responder, it's just common sense to be prepared to defend yourself.

The notion that we'd have to kill each other to fight over food and other resources is so far removed from reality... Those people on Nat Geo are nuts!

In fact, if the power grid failed catastrophically, we'd probably all share the contents of our freezers, so it wouldn't go to waste, and sun-dry as much food as possible to preserve it. We'd probably also take turns killing and butchering deer, moose, and whatever other game we could bring down, so that everybody would have fresh meat for as long as possible. Nobody here is entirely dependent on fossil fuels, and we all have plenty of wood on our properties.

One guy is a notoriously poor shot (he takes a lot of low-percentage shots), so we'd have to assign him to something other than hunting just to conserve ammunition. :devil:

Evo said:
Viktor, I appreciate you speaking with us. You sound more rational than the families on tv. What is your opinion on these *preppers* stockpiling guns and teaching their family to shoot to kill humans, (and they were usung tagets with human outlines for practice), not surprised that Nat Geo has hidden that segment from their website.

Do you, or do you plan to build an underground complex, do you expect you will need to kill off people in your community if a doomsday scenario happened? What to you would be a doomsday scenario?

On guns I hope that I never have to use mine against another human being. If the situation gets that bad it means that it's a life or death scenario.

I would hope the community would band together in a doomsday scenario but there are cities where it's simply impossible to feed everyone locally and I plan to live as far away as possible from those places.

When it comes to finding a place to live it's always complicated and a source of debate in "the community". I don't want a bunker like the last person we saw on the show because the probability of nuclear war is so low that it makes little sense to sacrifice so much money into building an underground nuclear proof structure unless an individual is truly rich.

As for doomsday scenarios it varies, they range from the impossible to the somewhat realistic but there are some very concerning scenarios that are much more plausible.
Here is a good rule: The deadlier the event, the more people it affects or kills the less likely it is!

rhody said:
Willowz,

Maybe Crew's took his role in "War of the Worlds" too seriously, and/or his belief in the Church of Scientology might have something to do with it. If this is true, then it begs the question, why isn't John Travolta (also a member) not like Crews ?
I don't know how it begs the question or why Travolta isn't a member. But, the point is that this isn't a single case amongst the masses. I mean this show does generate interest? There are people who actually believe in this 2012 stuff?. But, overall life will go on, hopefully.

I once heard a good quote in reference to doomsday scenarios. I don't remember who said it, so forgive me for not giving the source. Paraphrased below:

Something about doomsday scenarios speaks to a certain type of person. For some, it's easier to imagine taking the whole world with you when you die than it is to imagine the world going on without you.

Willowz said:
I don't know how it begs the question or why Travolta isn't a member. But, the point is that this isn't a single case amongst the masses. I mean this show does generate interest? There are people who actually believe in this 2012 stuff?. But, overall life will go on, hopefully.

Most don't but some do. I know one thing for sure is that in 2013 there's going to be great deals on camping gear, long term food and generators :tongue2:

Just like in 2001 ;)

G01 said:
I once heard a good quote in reference to doomsday scenarios. I don't remember who said it, so forgive me for not giving the source. Paraphrased below:

Something about doomsday scenarios speaks to a certain type of person. For some, it's easier to imagine taking the whole world with you when you die than it is to imagine the world going on without you.

Egocentrism? Possibly...

So I started digging a hole in the sand out back next to the railroad. I can't quite get my whole head in there, but I'm practicing. But wow! Sand going down my nostrils is the worst experience I've ever had preparing for disaster.

And all the while people keep driving past me, going to work, hanging out with friends and family, and just generally enjoying life. What a bunch of fools!

I consider myself a prepper. Am I prepping for some end-of-the-world scenario? No, I doubt there is much out there that will end the world.

Scenario one, A CME could knock out several dozen of our major transformer substations. Guess what, we don't manufacture them in the states and there is an 18 month lead time for them.

Scenario two, North Korea (and I am sure several other of our enemies) is developing a major EMP weapon. Deploy it from 30 to 300 miles up over central USA and no more power grid, many vehicles disabled and severe disruption of communications, again with several months to years needed to fix it.

Scenario three: Failure of our economic system with breakdown in all supply trains. Only 3 days of food in most food distribution centers. Think about what happens in stores with the slightest emergency. What will you eat after three days is gone by and you can't just hop over to the supermarket? Not to mention no gas. And what will all those nice reasonable folks on the public dole do when their checks stop arriving? Just say "well, thanks for all you have given us in the past" and roll over and starve?

Scenario four: Major outbreak of disease (either natural or terroristic) like the Spanish flu epidemic or other large pandemic that wipes out a majority of the population and the support for the technological grid that holds us together.

Then add in local events such as flood, tornadoes, hurricanes. My father and step-mom were recently without water for a week, power for 2 weeks and telephone/internet for 4 weeks after the tornadoes in Alabama.

I would rather have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it.

With the me-first attitudes, entitlement generation(s), and lack of preparedness out there (oh Obama will take care of me, after all I voted for him!) you better think of defending what you have from your neighbors as when you are at the narrow passage there is no brother and no friend and they will come for what you have.

turbo-1 said:
Everybody that I know on this road and surrounding area has firearms. Most everybody hunts (one guy doesn't, except to kill garden pests), plus there is extra incentive to stay armed and trained in marksmanship: Burglaries and home invasions are up locally over the last 5 years or so due to an increase in the abuse of meth and prescription pain-killers. When you live at least 20 minutes from the nearest possible 911 responder, it's just common sense to be prepared to defend yourself.

The notion that we'd have to kill each other to fight over food and other resources is so far removed from reality... Those people on Nat Geo are nuts!

In fact, if the power grid failed catastrophically, we'd probably all share the contents of our freezers, so it wouldn't go to waste, and sun-dry as much food as possible to preserve it. We'd probably also take turns killing and butchering deer, moose, and whatever other game we could bring down, so that everybody would have fresh meat for as long as possible. Nobody here is entirely dependent on fossil fuels, and we all have plenty of wood on our properties.

One guy is a notoriously poor shot (he takes a lot of low-percentage shots), so we'd have to assign him to something other than hunting just to conserve ammunition. :devil:

You're better prepared than most and yet you miss the point ;)

What happens when the grid is down and your well pump doesn't work?
How much gas do you have for that generator to power that well pump?

What happens to animals that are over-hunted? Do they stay in place?

Newai said:
So I started digging a hole in the sand out back next to the railroad. I can't quite get my whole head in there, but I'm practicing. But wow! Sand going down my nostrils is the worst experience I've ever had preparing for disaster.

And all the while people keep driving past me, going to work, hanging out with friends and family, and just generally enjoying life. What a bunch of fools!

That's another part of the show that makes me cringe the "I gave up gold and this and bla bla bla" of COURSE it's partly staged and faked for TV (just like that night delivery of food).

The ONLY thing that's required to be sacrificed for prepping is DEBT. You cannot prepare if every month you're choked by credit cards, car payments and TV loans. Of course you need a mortgage but the faster you pay it off the better.

I enjoy life a lot, so do many people in this movement.

ASK YOURSELF QUESTIONS, and if you do not like the answers do something about it!

PrepperMike said:
I consider myself a prepper. Am I prepping for some end-of-the-world scenario? No, I doubt there is much out there that will end the world.

Scenario one, A CME could knock out several dozen of our major transformer substations. Guess what, we don't manufacture them in the states and there is an 18 month lead time for them.

Scenario two, North Korea (and I am sure several other of our enemies) is developing a major EMP weapon. Deploy it from 30 to 300 miles up over central USA and no more power grid, many vehicles disabled and severe disruption of communications, again with several months to years needed to fix it.

Scenario three: Failure of our economic system with breakdown in all supply trains. Only 3 days of food in most food distribution centers. Think about what happens in stores with the slightest emergency. What will you eat after three days is gone by and you can't just hop over to the supermarket? Not to mention no gas. And what will all those nice reasonable folks on the public dole do when their checks stop arriving? Just say "well, thanks for all you have given us in the past" and roll over and starve?

Scenario four: Major outbreak of disease (either natural or terroristic) like the Spanish flu epidemic or other large pandemic that wipes out a majority of the population and the support for the technological grid that holds us together.

Then add in local events such as flood, tornadoes, hurricanes. My father and step-mom were recently without water for a week, power for 2 weeks and telephone/internet for 4 weeks after the tornadoes in Alabama.

I would rather have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it.

With the me-first attitudes, entitlement generation(s), and lack of preparedness out there (oh Obama will take care of me, after all I voted for him!) you better think of defending what you have from your neighbors as when you are at the narrow passage there is no brother and no friend and they will come for what you have.
Most of this is because people don't understand how things work. Local disasters are just that, local, and trucks, planes and helicopters can bring in supplies or take people out. I've been in a blizzard where we had no electricity for over 2 weeks, but after the roads were cleared (within 48 hours) I put the kids in the car and went to stay with a friend that had electricity. Just for the convenience, I could have just as easily stayed.

What I find spurs hoarding is pimarily a lack of knowlege. Irrational fear pushes people past hoarding to become completely incapable of thinking clearly. They become obsessed with imaginary fears . Doomsday tv, films, and webites just feed that irrational fear.

Just a reminder that this is a science forum, and fear mongering, overly speculative posts, crackpottery, etc... are not allowed.

Last edited:
PrepperMike said:

Is that really how you think of your neighbours and friends?? People who will come after you to steal everything of you? Wow, I find that actually quite sad. I honestly don't think you will survive long with such an attitude.

In Japan, there were two nuclear power plants that got destroyed and did we see any rioting there? Did we see people killing other people for food? No, the emergency workers operated quite swiftly and helped as many as they could. This is how it will go in almost every disaster!

It's clear you don't like Obama and your government, but there are people out there who will protect you and who will help you in emergencies. The nature of humans is cooperation, not isolation.

Viktor_Reznov said:
You're better prepared than most and yet you miss the point ;)What happens when the grid is down and your well pump doesn't work?
How much gas do you have for that generator to power that well pump?

I have a dug well and a drilled well. I do not need a pump to get water. My nearest neighbors' son (the one who is a bad shot) has water running out of the ground. (Artesian well that flows all year long. All of my neighbors except from one on the opposite side of the road can tap that brook. We'll be OK. You might not be.

I fear (dripping sarcasm) that this thread does not have much shelf life left...

Rhody... :rolleyes:

micromass said:
Is that really how you think of your neighbours and friends?? People who will come after you to steal everything of you? Wow, I find that actually quite sad. I honestly don't think you will survive long with such an attitude.

In Japan, there were two nuclear power plants that got destroyed and did we see any rioting there? Did we see people killing other people for food? No, the emergency workers operated quite swiftly and helped as many as they could. This is how it will go in almost every disaster!

It's clear you don't like Obama and your government, but there are people out there who will protect you and who will help you in emergencies. The nature of humans is cooperation, not isolation.

I am not worried about my immediate neighbors. I worry about the thousands outside the neighborhood I live in who depend entirely on the government for existence. Home invasions, car break-ins, burglaries are already on the rise across the country, will it get better or worse in a real emergency?

Japan is not the USA. Japan has a greater work ethic and innate sense of honor built into their culture. Comparing what happens there to what would happen here shows a lack of understanding of the fundamental structures of the two societies. Just look at the looting in the aftermath of almost every major disaster. Look at riots happening sometimes for no other reason than a sports team won or lost. Look at the new random violence being done in the name of fun by gangs of young people.

What would you do to feed your children 3 weeks into an emergency when no one can come help because it is a country or world-wide situation? Would you steal someone elses food? Would you let your kids or wife starve?

A few final questions:

Do you have car insurance? If yes why? Are you planning on having a wreck?
Do you have life insurance? If yes, why? Are you planning on dying tomorrow?
Do you have home insurance? If yes, why? Are you going to burn down your house tomorrow?

You do all of the above to prepare for the unknown. Prepping for disasters which the local government or national governments may not be able to handle is another form of insurance against the unknown.

PrepperMike said:
I am not worried about my immediate neighbors. I worry about the thousands outside the neighborhood I live in who depend entirely on the government for existence. Home invasions, car break-ins, burglaries are already on the rise across the country, will it get better or worse in a real emergency?

Japan is not the USA. Japan has a greater work ethic and innate sense of honor built into their culture. Comparing what happens there to what would happen here shows a lack of understanding of the fundamental structures of the two societies. Just look at the looting in the aftermath of almost every major disaster. Look at riots happening sometimes for no other reason than a sports team won or lost. Look at the new random violence being done in the name of fun by gangs of young people.

What would you do to feed your children 3 weeks into an emergency when no one can come help because it is a country or world-wide situation? Would you steal someone elses food? Would you let your kids or wife starve?

A few final questions:

Do you have home insurance? If yes, why? Are you going to burn down your house tomorrow?

You do all of the above to prepare for the unknown. Prepping for disasters which the local government or national governments may not be able to handle is another form of insurance against the unknown.
You sound very paranoid. Most hoarders have a form of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder).

Nothing wrong with with being cautious, it's fearing disasters of catastrophic proportions that are over the top. I think most people have extra batteries, candles, a flashlight, a BBQ grill, etc...

If you are afraid you will run out, and keeping more makes you less anxious, then I am all for it. When you start worrying that you will have to fight off neighbors, or people in your community, even prepare to kill them, then you've crossed the line of what's ok.

Last edited:
PrepperMike said:

I don't have a car. I don't need it.

I see no reason to have a life insurance really. You're just paying money to the insurance company for no reason. Everybody dies some time, it's nothing special to me.

I have this one, but you got to admit, something happening to your house is far more likely than a world-wide disaster. The point of insurance is to insure you for things which are likely to happen, I'm not going to insure myself for an asteroid impact.

All these disasters you mention (EMP's, CME's,...). How many times have they occurred and caused serious damage?? Never. OK, it might happen, but there are a lot of things that might happen. Floods and storms might destroy your house and your food supplies, nuclear power plants might explode and put radiation over your food supplies. Your house might go up in flames together with your food supplies. Your food supplies might be contaminated. A gamma ray burst might happen and eredicate all life on this planet. A lion might escape the zoo and eat you. Apart from the last ones, all of this is much more likelier than an EMP.

I prefer to help people who need it now, not preparing to help myself in future events that will most likely not happen.

So far, my local and national government have done quite well. I see no reason to doubt them.

PrepperMike said:
A few final questions:

I have car insurance because without it I couldn't get it licensed. It's the law here. Plus, if someone else hits me and doesn't have coverage, mine takes it.
I have no life insurance, but then I don't have a family. But I have health insurance. Even though I don't plan on being in an emergency, health problems almost always pop up at some point.
I don't have home insurance. I live in an apartment and most of my property value is less than what I have in my bank account.

None of these have anything to do with disasters.

And none of the basic preparation for disaster is wrong, but what started this thread were examples of people taking it to insane degrees. I suppose I could buy a hazmat suit, but I'll take my chances with the sun god.

Evo said:
Most hoarders have a form of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder).

I'm sorry, Evo, but I have OCD myself and these "preppers" don't sound like they have OCD. The thing is that people with OCD know that their fears are irrational. They make very illogical connections and they know that it is illogical. They are simply unable to confront their fears.

Preppers also have irrational fears, but they rationalize their fears. They actually convince themselves that their fears might become reality. This is not the behaviour of somebody with OCD.

micromass said:

It is true that looting in natural disasters is much rarer than public thinks. A lot of that has to do with looting being a very visually compelling image when shown on television. People also overestimate the danger of being a victim of crime when any crime in the entire nation feels like local crime when people watch it on TV in their own living rooms.

If you live in a high crime neighborhood, crime won't stop just because there's a natural disaster. It will decrease, though. If you live in a neighborhood with a low crime rate, criminals won't suddenly come flocking to your door just because there's a natural disaster, either. In fact, the crime rate in your neighborhood will usually decrease.

So, I don't see preparing to kill the neighbors as a necessary precaution.

None the less, it is reasonable to be prepared for power outages or a lack of transportation or a lack of clean water. Have some idea of how you'd handle the situation without the assistance of emergency workers for a few days, at least. And, usually, having neighbors would be an asset in that type of situation; not a threat.

But, if you live in the wrong place and the wrong time, there's just a chance that being prepared to kill your neighbors could make you one of the lucky ones. I still remember reading about the siege of Leningrad. Holy cow! I think some situations are just beyond preparing for and situations where an entire city is so weak from hunger that they've given up counting the dead, let alone burying them, would be one of those situations. But one could certainly say that those who were prepared to kill other humans for food had a better chance of living than those who weren't. Those who had a little too much flesh and a little bit too healthy of a complexion were regarded as goulish and frightening, whether their health was a result of their ability to hoard wealth in a siege or the result of outright cannabilism.

micromass said:
I just think they are really sensitive people who are really scared by all the fear mongering of the media. There might be some paranoid people out there (certainly the ones you described in the national geographic show)
That's what I'm talking about, people that have underground bunkers, put their children through drills, stuff that's really beyond normal.

There is a town in france that has been swarmed with Raelians that believe that it is the only place on Earth that will escape the Mayan 2012 doomsday.

I'll get the articles.

I love one guy's comment "every year as December 31st approaches on my calendar, I realize that the end of my calendar means the end of time. Then my kids get me a new calendar for Christmas and everything is ok for another year".

He actually said it better, but you get the gist.

Last edited:
Evo said:
That's what I'm talking about, people that have underground bunkers, put their children through drills, stuff that's really beyond normal.

There is a town in france that has been swarmed with Raelians that believe that it is the only place on Earth that will escape the Mayan 2012 doomsday.

I'll get the articles.

I love one guy's comment "every year as December 31st approaches on my calendar, I realize that the end of my calendar means the end of time. Then my kids get me a new calendar for Christmas and everything is ok for another year".

He actually said it better, but you get the gist.

Is this the one?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...vive-2012-Armageddon-plagued-by-visitors.html

The mayor of a picturesque French village has threatened to call in the army to seal it off from a tide of New Age fanatics and UFO watchers, who are convinced it is the only place on Earth to be spared Armageddon in 2012.

I feel bad for those villagers.

Post disaster crisis handling is job of the government not of individuals.

All the government agencies advice on what kind of measures should be taken during crisis.

550paracord said:
I say who cares what others teach their children, it is THEIR children NOT yours.

Children are not your private property, you can't just do with them whatever you like. Hitting your children hard is child abuse. Telling children that other people are after you and want to steal whatever you have is child abuse. Lletting children do drills and instilling fear in them is child abuse. I don't think this should be tolerated.

The point is that the people in the superdome just didn't have the money to stock up food.

all it takes is 10 or 15 dollars a week and a bit of creativity to stock-pile several weeks worth of food and water...

If your home is under water, and all of your survival kits are under water, what's your point?

BOB... a bug-out-bag. a small kit to grab should you have to flee. some water and food and clothing and medical supplies and a few other goodies to keep you going until you reach somewhere safe :)

Pigpen said:
A few cans of beans, some water, ramen noodles. Does not seem like that would cost a lot.

Well, perhaps the people did that. But then suddenly they find their houses underwater and their supplies ruined. What to do then?
The thing with Katrina was that nobody expected the levees would break. If they didn't break, then most would have been fine.

We all saw Katrina comming a week in advance. Plenty of time to prepare, be it stocking up on food and stuff or hoofing it out of there. People chose to be lazy and not do anything.

Haha, that's not the first time I heard that poor people are lazy. Well, I guess it says quite a lot about you.

To be clear, we are discussing armageddon, holocaust nutters in this thread.

We are not discussing hurricane or other storm preparedness scenarios.

We're not discussing people that fear a few weeks of a power outage. We are discussing people that, as that woman on the show said
Mother: We have no other purpose in life than to prepare for armageddon.

Last edited:
Everyone has their own limits for the risks they're willing to take, and if someone wants to stockpile a few days' worth of food just in case a disaster hits, I think that's fine. However, stockpiling weeks of food for an EMP when there's absolutely no credible threat of an EMP is just ridiculous. You're probably much more likely to die while driving or crossing the road than you are to ever use those supplies.

Pigpen said:
Point is preparations are not only physical things. Like I said, we all saw it coming people chose to do nothing. Don't throw the "they were too poor to do anything for themself" card, been played already.

So basically you're saying that I can't throw that card because you don't like that argument?? It happens to be the reality here.

Everyone has their own limits for the risks they're willing to take, and if someone wants to stockpile a few days' worth of food just in case a disaster hits, I think that's fine. However, stockpiling weeks of food for an EMP when there's absolutely no credible threat of an EMP is just ridiculous. You're probably much more likely to die while driving or crossing the road than you are to ever use those supplies.
i wouldn't put the risk at 0% for an EMP. It has happened before: the sun can cause an EMF blast (happened in the eighteen hundreds and fried telegraph lines. Today, potentially, it could be much much worse). Rare it is... but not impossible. Better to need it and have it then need it and not have it.

And as an aside (not that I have or will do this...but for the sake of argument), if I want to stock-pile 5 years of food and can afford to do so, what gives you the right to say that its stupid or should not be allowed. Am I hurting you? Nope. If I want to teach myself to defend myself in a dozen ways? is that hurting you? Nope. If I want to grow all of my own food and am not bugging anyone? SHould I not be allowed to do that?

Granted, you should not be scaring young kids like that. Now that being said, there is nothing wrong with teaching kids to defend themselves (once they are old enough to realize what they are learning and are mature enough too). Heck, better this then letting the TV raise your kids imho, or letting them get into drugs and alcohol and the such...

BavarianRaven said:
i wouldn't put the risk at 0% for an EMP. It has happened before: the sun can cause an EMF blast (happened in the eighteen hundreds and fried telegraph lines. Today, potentially, it could be much much worse). Rare it is... but not impossible. Better to need it and have it then need it and not have it.
The 1800's, yeah, post that. How many people had phones in the 1800's?

And as an aside (not that I have or will do this...but for the sake of argument), if I want to stock-pile 5 years of food and can afford to do so, what gives you the right to say that its stupid or should not be allowed. Am I hurting you? Nope.
And if you had bothered to read this thread, you'd see that we have no problem with hoarders, if that's all you are.

Last edited:
BobG said:
Saying nobody expected the levees to break is an exaggeration. In fact, the fear of the levees breaking was one of the reasons for trying to evacuate the entire city.

It is true that many of the people that stayed didn't believe the levees would break. Or that believed they could take care of themselves and weather it out in their attic. Hence the other warnings also put out on TV that those foolish enough to try to weather it out in their attic should at least take something with them so they could cut through the roof when the water got too high.

And, even some of those that believed there was a possibility of the levees breaking stayed - either because of a lack of transportation or because they were afraid someone would loot their house while they were gone.

The possibility of the levees breaking was no surprise to the overwhelming majority of people in the town. It was only a surprise to those that refused to believe the warnings.

I would be shocked if there were even one household that was prepared to evacuate in an emergency that found their supplies suddenly ruined because the levees broke.
Bob, you live in Colorado, how much food have you stockpiled? :tongue2:

And no more hurricanes and tornadoes, this is about wacko armageddon. Any more off topic posts will be deleted and infractions given.

Last edited:
BavarianRaven said:

It's not impossible, but if it's much less likely than me dying of a heart attack or in a car crash, I'd rather focus on those scenarios.

And as an aside (not that I have or will do this...but for the sake of argument), if I want to stock-pile 5 years of food and can afford to do so, what gives you the right to say that its stupid or should not be allowed. Am I hurting you? Nope.

The fact that you're not hurting me doesn't automatically make your opinions 100% correct. You're perfectly free to stockpile 5 years of food, just as I'm perfectly free to believe that Earth is flat, but that doesn't mean either is rational.

Ok this has gone off to the deep end.

I don't care to debate my lifestyle and what I feel is right for my family in good days or bad.

Some people are making a case from a TV show which was cut and edited to make it more spectacular than it is.

If you want more info PM me, also my email should be in my profile.

Want some more information? Go listen to something like the survival podcast who're motto is:
Helping You Live the Life You Want, If Times Get Tough, Or Even If They Don't

Ciao ;)

And if you had bothered to read this thread, you'd see that we have no problem with hoarders, if that's all you are

evidently you do. its called being prepared...not hoarding ;)
sure a small percent do have OCD and the such... most are just people who want to see their family and friends cared for should the worse happen.

he 1800's, yeah, post that. How many people had phones in the 1800's?

thats the whole point. no one knows how bad it would be today? it might be nothing... or it could nock out everything from computers to cars to planes and the such... and imagine the hell that could create. the odds are low. but i like playing it safe =D