Force on door from two hinges - easy - help anyone?

In summary, the problem involves finding the forces on two door hinges that support a large door with a height of 2.1 m and width of 0.95 m, with each hinge located 0.30 m from the top and bottom. The door has a mass of 28 kg and is acted upon by gravity along the y-axis. The force at the top hinge can be found by taking the moment about the bottom hinge, and the force at the bottom hinge can be found by swapping to the top hinge. The problem can be solved by drawing a free body diagram and using the equations derived from it.
vtech
torque/force problem - two door hinges - help anyone?

A large door of height - 2.1 m - along y-axis that extends vertically upward and width - 0.95 m - along x-axis that extends outward from the hinged edge of the door. A hinge at 0.30 m from the top and a hinge at 0.30 m from the bottom, each support half the door's mass which is 28 kg.

(a) In unit-vector notation, what is the force on the door at the top hinge?
___ N i +____ N j
(b) In unit-vector notation, what is the force on the door at the bottom hinge? ___ N i +____ N j

------------------------------

I don't understand where the horizontal force - vector in i direction - is coming from if there's no horizontal movement and only gravity is acting along the y-axis or j hat

so my answers for the j hat vectors are simply 9.8x14= 137.2N which is the correct answer... but i don't understand parts A and C?

help anyone?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
help please~!

anyone out there? i don't need to give me the answer... could anyone just point me in the right direction? how to find the i-hat vector forces in this problem?

thanksss a lot

Take the moment about the bottom hinge to find the answer for a) and then swap to the top hinge to find b)

i, too, am stuck on this problem, and what do you mean by take the moment? I am a bit rusty, and trying to remember that, but can't seem to remember... any help?

First you draw the free body diagram. Putting in all the forces into the diagram, there are altogether 5 forces, 2 at each hinge and the door's self weight. There are 2 unknown forces in the diagram since you have been told that the vertical component at each hinge is half of the door weight. 2 unknown forces and 3 equations derived from the diagram, it can be solved.

1. What is the purpose of having two hinges on a door?

The main purpose of having two hinges on a door is to distribute the weight of the door evenly and provide stability. This helps prevent the door from sagging or warping over time.

2. How do I calculate the force on a door from two hinges?

The force on a door from two hinges can be calculated by dividing the weight of the door by the number of hinges. This will give you the amount of force that each hinge needs to support.

3. What factors can affect the force on a door from two hinges?

The weight of the door, the type and strength of the hinges, and the distance between the hinges can all affect the force on a door from two hinges. The material and construction of the door frame can also play a role.

4. Can I use different types of hinges for a door?

It is not recommended to use different types of hinges for a door, as this can create an uneven distribution of force and potentially cause the door to sag or become misaligned. It is best to use the same type and size of hinges for optimal support.

5. How can I ensure that the force on my door is evenly distributed between the hinges?

To ensure that the force on your door is evenly distributed between the hinges, it is important to use hinges that are of the same size and strength, and to place them at an equal distance from each other. Proper installation and regular maintenance of the hinges can also help distribute the force evenly.