How Does Delta_k Transform in a Uniformly Moving Frame in Fourier Space?

In summary, the conversation is about finding an expression for the density contrast (in Fourier space; delta_k) in a moving frame and how various quantities like power spectrum P(k) will look in a uniformly moving frame. The suggested approach is to use relativistic perturbation theory on a Robertson-Walker spacetime and perform a coordinate transformation. However, the usual approximations used in perturbation theory in Minkowski space may not be valid due to the expansion of space. The person is asking for ideas on how to proceed with this second step. They mention finding some discussions on this topic in two sources and the basic problem is finding how delta_k will change when a coordinate transformation is performed.
cosmoboy
can somebody help me to find an expression for the density contrast
(in fouruer space; delta_k) in a moving frame. Basically I am trying to
figure out how various quantities like power spectrum P(k) etc., will look in a uniformly moving frame .

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I would say you need to consider the relativistic perturbation theory on a Robertson-Walker spacetime (this is described in chapter 10, p. 275 to 280 of "Principles of Physical Cosmology", Peebles) and then you need to perform a coordinate transformation. But I have no clue how to proceed with this second step, because it seams to me that the usual approximations which can be done for perturbation theory in Minkowski space (background Lorentz transformation as described in chapter 8 of "A first course in general relativity", Schutz) are not valid due to the expansion of space. So probably I have not tell you anything new, but I would be also interested in the answer to this question. Have you any idea how to proceed?

delta_k

In Peebles physical cosmology nothing of that sort is dicussed on that page; I am basically interested in Fourier space. I have found this discussion at two places.
1. In Peebles "The large scale structure of the Universe" in chapter 11 page 134; on top of this page it is discussed how to go in the center of mass frame.

2. There is some discussion of this type on page 210 of http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0112551

Basic problem is: if x -----> x' = x + dx , we have to find:
delta_k -----> ? ; note : point is that for finding delta_k ; x is integrated out. I am wondering will delta_k change at all ?

1. What is linear perturbation theory?

Linear perturbation theory is a mathematical tool used in various scientific fields, such as physics and economics, to analyze the behavior of a system around a stable equilibrium point. It involves breaking down a complex system into simpler linear equations and then studying the effects of small perturbations on the system's behavior.

2. How is linear perturbation theory applied in physics?

In physics, linear perturbation theory is used to study the small changes in the behavior of a physical system caused by small disturbances or fluctuations. It is particularly useful in studying the evolution of the universe, the behavior of fluids, and the motion of particles in a gravitational field.

3. What are the assumptions of linear perturbation theory?

The main assumptions of linear perturbation theory are that the perturbations are small and that the system is linear. This means that the perturbations do not significantly alter the behavior of the system and that the system's response to different perturbations can be added together to get the overall response.

4. How accurate is linear perturbation theory?

The accuracy of linear perturbation theory depends on the system being studied and the size of the perturbations. In some cases, it can provide highly accurate results, while in others, it may only offer a rough approximation. In general, it is most accurate for small perturbations and becomes less accurate as the perturbations increase in size.

5. What are the limitations of linear perturbation theory?

One of the main limitations of linear perturbation theory is that it can only be applied to systems that are linear and have small perturbations. This means that it cannot be used to study highly non-linear systems or large perturbations. Additionally, it may not accurately capture the long-term behavior of a system, as it only considers the immediate effects of perturbations.