2012 Physics and Astronomy REU Programs

In summary: LIGO?Did anyone apply/heard back to/from the Columbia Nevis...they are having a summer symposium on LIGO?
My lack of response back is beginning to trouble me .-. At least I can be happy knowing I got into some schools for summer transfer ;-; at least I can take classes if I don't hear back soon?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't start worrying yet. Some schools may just start looking over applicants now and won't be sending out stuff just yet. Theres also students who were offered a position, but haven't replied yet or asked for an extension...for multiple internships...

Anyway I know UCD started making offers. I know this bc I found out I was #2 on the list for the project with Carlip and they were waiting on the #1 guy to respond. Unfortunately he accepted. At UCD they do an offer a week and they go down the list so it could take a while.

It looks like I'll be doing some particle theory at Indiana. My deadline is tomorrow and I haven't heard back from any other schools. If anyone else here is going there feel free to message me.

Congratulations to all who got accepted. Has anyone had trouble with their professor sending out recommendation letter? On one hand I had one professor who never answers their email and is almost impossible to find in their office hours-- and he actually complained about sending them out. On another hand, I had a professor who was very very nice, would answer my emails immediately, and send them enthusiastically-- only to ask if I wanted anything else.

I've applied to:

Purdue
LSU
Stony Brook
University of Idaho
Brookhaven & Fermilab under SULI program
Brookhaven CCI
Toledo
ISU

I've got to say, sometimes applying to internships can be a huge time sink.

Elwin.Martin said:
My lack of response back is beginning to trouble me .-. At least I can be happy knowing I got into some schools for summer transfer ;-; at least I can take classes if I don't hear back soon?

I've been getting a lack of response also (well I did get one but he chose another applicant), but I should add that my applications were sent late and near the deadline -- though mostly in part of my professor who likes to send everything literally last minute. I would love to get accepted but I'm not getting my hopes up, I've accepted the fact that I'm at a keen disadvantage compared to other applicants. One I'm a community college student who came very late into discovering his love for science, and secondly, I'm only up to Calculus II and Physics II at the moment.

And if I don't get accepted, I can still take summer classes--which I want to take anyways because I have a lot of classes to cram for next fall. Point is, it helps to be a bit positive. :) And at any rate, it is still too early to tell.

Nano-Passion said:
I've been getting a lack of response also (well I did get one but he chose another applicant), but I should add that my applications were sent late and near the deadline -- though mostly in part of my professor who likes to send everything literally last minute. I would love to get accepted but I'm not getting my hopes up, I've accepted the fact that I'm at a keen disadvantage compared to other applicants. One I'm a community college student who came very late into discovering his love for science, and secondly, I'm only up to Calculus II and Physics II at the moment.

And if I don't get accepted, I can still take summer classes--which I want to take anyways because I have a lot of classes to cram for next fall. Point is, it helps to be a bit positive. :) And at any rate, it is still too early to tell.

I had someone tell me I was too early in my college career for one of my applications and I was kind of offended. He didn't even look at my transcript, which would have showed that I was already doing work at the level he had requested for preparation and he didn't look at my recommendation either, again simply because he saw that I had only been in college for a year... so much sigh.

I got offers from Notre Dame and Old Dominion on 2/26 and 2/27. Turned down ODU, took ND. Other people in my department got offers at Michigan State (2/20) and Indiana University (2/15?). All three of us did research the previous summer and are currently juniors.

Elwin.Martin said:
I had someone tell me I was too early in my college career for one of my applications and I was kind of offended. He didn't even look at my transcript, which would have showed that I was already doing work at the level he had requested for preparation and he didn't look at my recommendation either, again simply because he saw that I had only been in college for a year... so much sigh.

Oh wow haha. By the way, your up to Calc II and Physics II right?

My professors for some reason tried reassuring me that others aren't looking for people with lots of experience but to help raise future scientists. This obviously isn't the sole case and mentors are looking for someone who can be a useful contribution. Some won't consider people that have only had 1 year of college classes, which I expected. And its a good thing I didn't listen to their over-optimistic claims or I would have only applied to one internship.

Concerning REUs wanting students who are in the earlier parts of their college career, I do remember seeing a math REU last year that explicitly didn't want people with a lot of courses past calculus. Not sure about physics.

I've been accepted to RPI and U Toledo's programs so far. I'll probably end up going with RPI since they let you know who your advisor is, and I received the person I mentioned in my statement, which is nicely situated in an area of physics to which I'd like to be exposed in a meaningful way. Applied to 5 other programs as well (would have been 7 more if not for the acceptance the day I was going to finish two apps), but have yet to hear back.

Cider said:
Concerning REUs wanting students who are in the earlier parts of their college career, I do remember seeing a math REU last year that explicitly didn't want people with a lot of courses past calculus. Not sure about physics.

Really? I actually wanted to do a math internship but I lost all hope in applying to one. But since then I've started taking a liking more to physics anyways. I don't have much experience in math but I'm a bit bored of the plug and chug nature of calculus.

Cider said:

I noticed a couple of programs that said they had projects suitable for freshman, but that seems fairly rare.

Stengah said:
I noticed a couple of programs that said they had projects suitable for freshman, but that seems fairly rare.

I second that observation.

Apparently UC Davis had 550 applicants and LIGO (Caltech) had 1600. I got an offer from University of Michigan, so I'll probably take it. Anyone else going there?

I_wonder_why said:
Apparently UC Davis had 550 applicants and LIGO (Caltech) had 1600.
...sigh... I doubt they'll even look at sophomore's applications with that many applicants...

I applied to:

Rochester
Brookhaven (through SULI)
Cornell
Kansas State
Rice
Duke

By a divine occurrence I was already accepted to Cornell's program, and accepted immediately (if anyone else has gotten in there I would be glad to speak to you!). Being a "name school" I feel like they have to have had a great deal of applicants. Since I go to a school you are probably...unfamiliar with, I was totally shocked I actually seem to have gotten a first-round offer.

Dirac_Man said:
I applied to:

Rochester
Brookhaven (through SULI)
Cornell
Kansas State
Rice
Duke

By a divine occurrence I was already accepted to Cornell's program, and accepted immediately (if anyone else has gotten in there I would be glad to speak to you!). Being a "name school" I feel like they have to have had a great deal of applicants. Since I go to a school you are probably...unfamiliar with, I was totally shocked I actually seem to have gotten a first-round offer.

Congratulations! Out of curiosity, what is your background, what type of research did you apply for, and what research will you be working on?

Nano-Passion said:
Congratulations! Out of curiosity, what is your background, what type of research did you apply for, and what research will you be working on?

I said I wanted to do some kind of atomic-level experimental work, or something with x-ray imaging in my personal statement. I did the SULI program at SLAC last summer.

I was just really surprised by my admittance since, while my school has a very good physics program, it is very small and not especially well-known name-wise.

Dirac_Man said:
I said I wanted to do some kind of atomic-level experimental work, or something with x-ray imaging in my personal statement. I did the SULI program at SLAC last summer.

I was just really surprised by my admittance since, while my school has a very good physics program, it is very small and not especially well-known name-wise.
Actually, I heard that lots of times most REUs like to accept lots of students from small schools, because people from smaller schools usually don't have as much opportunity to do research. I also applied to Cornell, but my fortunes are starting to look a little grim. Congrats to you though it'll be a great experience! Are you a Junior or a sophomore?

ktb said:
Actually, I heard that lots of times most REUs like to accept lots of students from small schools, because people from smaller schools usually don't have as much opportunity to do research. I also applied to Cornell, but my fortunes are starting to look a little grim. Congrats to you though it'll be a great experience! Are you a Junior or a sophomore?

I am currently a junior (which means I need to start crossing my fingers about grad. school at some point in the immediate future...).

Has anyone heard back from UChicago or Seattle yet?

I applied for Biophysics and astrophysics at:

Wayne State
Michigan State
University of Toledo
Hope College in Michigan
lehigh
Purdue

I was wondering if anyone else applied at Wayne state or were they turned off by the fact that it is in Detroit.

SLAC offered, Accepted!
:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Elwin.Martin said:
SLAC offered, Accepted!

Congratulations! Do you know what you will be working on?

Stengah said:
Congratulations! Do you know what you will be working on?
Heavy Photon Search
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/gen/grad/openhouse2011/Heavy-Photon-Search-at-SLAC.pdf
Which is not really something I am familiar with, but I'm so glad it's in HEP haha :P

I know they like students from smaller schools, but I am still sort of shocked I got in.

Very, very excited though! I'm not really concerned about stipend, but housing and such would be great to know soon. @.@ It says they'll reimburse some of my travel expense, so I'm hoping they do because I live on the East coast. . .

I understand you accepted Idaho, right? It would be great to know if anyone else on the forums is going to SLAC ^^; there are quite a few interns in total, though working on very different things.

Elwin.Martin said:
SLAC offered, Accepted!

Congratulations! I think I said earlier that that was where I was last summer. It was a great experience. I assume you are going through SULI?

They put us up in regular Stanford housing, and I understand they did something similar the year before as well. It was really cool because we were all in a collection of dorms that open into the same enclosed courtyard area, so there was a real communal feel (Governor's Corner, if you end up in the same place).

The program director is a real trip as well. He takes some...getting used to, but he is actually a really fascinating kind person. Do not underestimate how knowledgeable he actually is about things. He sets up these weekly dinners with various people that initially (at least to me) sounded somewhat lame, but I found them to be one of the best parts of the program. I got to meet people who went to lectures Dirac gave, people who used to be office mates with Steve Weinberg, and people who played outside while their father ate dinner with Feynman, among others.

On a side note, Martin Perl, who discovered the tau lepton, eats at the same table in the SLAC cafeteria everyday, and you can just go up and talk to him. And get pictures and autographs. Just throwing that out there (it did not dawn on me who he was until about half way through the program).

Got an Offer from Ohio Wesleyan University for Stellar Surfacing Imaging via Light Curve Inversion.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I'm just glad I landed an REU. Good Luck to everyone else!

Congratulations to everyone so far!

I've been declined from UCLA so far.

Haven't heard back from any other place yet :/

Just got accepted into Kansas State.
I'm not sure whether or not I'll accept at the moment because I'm still holding onto the hope that I'll somehow get into Seattle or Chicago. But, KSU looks like a good REU, so I'm not complaining at all. Just happy I actually got accepted somewhere. I can stop panicking! :biggrin:

Congrats. The other day you were bumed about UCLA now I better your feeling much better. What is you research about?

Dela91 said:
Congrats. The other day you were bumed about UCLA now I better your feeling much better. What is you research about?

Yes, so much better. Relieved actually :) When I read the email I did a little happy dance around my flat (which thank goodness none of my flatmates were up for, they already think I'm a crazy American [study abroad student] ).

Projects aren't posted until April, but looking at last years, I'd like to work on something revolving around particle physics. Nuclear would be my top choice, but I don't think that will be an option.

I'm going to hold out for a few days to see if I hear back from any other places, but if not, I'm quite happy with where I got in. Anyone else possibly going there?

d3nat said:
I'm going to hold out for a few days to see if I hear back from any other places, but if not, I'm quite happy with where I got in. Anyone else possibly going there?

I applied, but withdrew after I got the offer from Idaho State. But I have a professor who went to grad school there, and he had great things to say about the department. Update us with what your project is if you accept!

Accepted at Cornell and rejected at Duke?

?

That seems very strange to me. Cornell has much more highly-ranked physics program than Duke; I cannot image their program is less competitive than Duke's. I sent almost identical personal statements to each one as well; I only altered the section where I discuss specific past projects that interest me. I suppose it does not actually matter, since I already have an REU. It just strikes me as very odd.

I've applied:
Cornell- CLASSE (didn't send rejection, but didn't make it)
Cornell- CCMR (they said they are sending out offers this Wednesday)
Colorado- heard nothing.. I don't think I made it.
SUNY- will decide next week.
Lehigh- nothing yet.
Wisconsin (engineering)- nothing yet
Penn State- accepted. Only a week to decide.

I thought Penn State had an excellent program but it seems no one on here even applied. Any insight? Should I accept?
Anyone heard from Colorado? They don't email status of applicants.

?

That seems very strange to me. Cornell has much more highly-ranked physics program than Duke; I cannot image their program is less competitive than Duke's. I sent almost identical personal statements to each one as well; I only altered the section where I discuss specific past projects that interest me. I suppose it does not actually matter, since I already have an REU. It just strikes me as very odd.
--
I think it's just where they feel you will fit in based on your academic background, habits (from what your refs said) and personality written in your essay. Congrats on Cornell!

Late last week, I contacted all of the places I've applied to and most responded that they have had record numbers of students apply and that they were just about done finalizing the selections and I was probably not going to get in. Congrats to all that made it. Anyone hear back from LSU or Texas A&M yet? Sadly these two might be my last hope. Ironically I applied to 13 programs, I've never been superstitious but... yeah.

Dirac_Man said:

?

I thought the two programs had different focuses?