2012 Physics and Astronomy REU Programs

In summary: LIGO?Did anyone apply/heard back to/from the Columbia Nevis...they are having a summer symposium on LIGO?
Elwin.Martin said:
I thought the two programs had different focuses?

They do (Duke is nuclear-focused, while Cornell is more accelerator-geared), but I adjusted the interests sections of the personal statements I submitted to reflect the different missions of each program (nuclear and accelerator physics really are both of great interest to me).

Of course, I should probably be far enough along in academia to recognize by now that trying to uncover deeper reasons for getting rejected by one program and accepted by another is akin to divining with tea leaves...

Physics news on Phys.org
ktb said:
Late last week, I contacted all of the places I've applied to and most responded that they have had record numbers of students apply and that they were just about done finalizing the selections and I was probably not going to get in. Congrats to all that made it. Anyone hear back from LSU or Texas A&M yet? Sadly these two might be my last hope. Ironically I applied to 13 programs, I've never been superstitious but... yeah.
Don't lose hope yet! Apply at Vermont. Their deadline is early April.
http://www.uvm.edu/physics/?Page=complexmaterials.html
It's materials and I don't know what your focus is, but it's worth a shot. The late deadline indicated it's less competitive (top ranking applicants are decided by now). I freaked out over the weekend about not getting offers yet and found it. Google physics REU april 2012 and maybe find some more last minutes.

Dirac_Man said:
Of course, I should probably be far enough along in academia to recognize by now that trying to uncover deeper reasons for getting rejected by one program and accepted by another is akin to divining with tea leaves...

^This

Waiting to hear back from LIGO, Princeton and Montana State.
Those were pretty much the only programs I could find that consider int'l students. Kinda worried since it's already mid-March and I haven't heard from anyone yet, though I know the selection process at Princeton might continue until late April. Sounds like it's still up in the air...anyone got into one of these already?

erogard said:
Those were pretty much the only programs I could find that consider int'l students. Kinda worried since it's already mid-March and I haven't heard from anyone yet, though I know the selection process at Princeton might continue until late April. Sounds like it's still up in the air...anyone got into one of these already?
I contacted Princeton and they sent me a rejection. It appears that they have already filled all of their spots, so you should contact them as well and see.

Does anyone think it would be a good idea if I went around and emailed each of the REUs I can find for this year, and asked about the size of their applicant pools?

That or have the work of emailing people be distributed some, say each person just contacts where they applied to?

It would be great to have a thread on the forum with some information for next year's applications.

Maybe applicant pool size and number of offers available to start with?

Elwin.Martin said:
Does anyone think it would be a good idea if I went around and emailed each of the REUs I can find for this year, and asked about the size of their applicant pools?

I did that for a few I applied for. The pool size averaged a few hundred (400-600). I was somewhat shocked at how many applicants there were. (This was mainly West Coast)

I know I've asked already, but has anyone heard from Seattle or Chicago/know if they have completely finalized their decisions?

I'm assuming if I haven't heard back from those two I've been wait-listed. I really really want to get into one of those, but I don't want to wait too long to accept my other offer in the case that I'm far down on the wait list.

Seattle said that they would put a notice up on their website when all their positions are filled.

ktb said:
I contacted Princeton and they sent me a rejection. It appears that they have already filled all of their spots, so you should contact them as well and see.

Are you sure about that? I just got rejected at Montana State (they said they had over 30 applications for every opening), which I'm assuming to be less competitive than LIGO and Princeton...

erogard said:
Are you sure about that? I just got rejected at Montana State (they said they had over 30 applications for every opening), which I'm assuming to be less competitive than LIGO and Princeton...
Is this the program you applied to? http://science-education.pppl.gov/NUF/Overview.html

If so, I would send an e-mail to mortiz@pppl.gov and they'll let you know your status. It could be you're wait listed.

ktb said:
Is this the program you applied to? http://science-education.pppl.gov/NUF/Overview.html

If so, I would send an e-mail to mortiz@pppl.gov and they'll let you know your status. It could be you're wait listed.

I meant the material science one through PRISM, my bad. But thanks for your suggestion. Maybe there's still hope then.

erogard said:

Just got an offer from LIGO today, I think I'll accept.
Anyone else going there?

I_wonder_why said:
Just got an offer from LIGO today, I think I'll accept.
Anyone else going there?

Congratulations on getting the offer!

I'm waiting on them, it's probably the only thing I'd take over SLAC. I'm doubting I'll be accepted though.

Last edited:
I got accepted to Minnesota about a month ago and took it after waiting a bit over a week to hear back from any others. Then last week I got accepted to an internship at Argonne National Labs that would have sent me to the US Particle Accelerator School but turned it down. Minnesota is one of the schools I want to apply to for grad school so hopefully this helps me in.

I've been rejected from UCLA, Columbia, and RIT so far. The only one left for me is Stony Brook's program which was really the one I wanted most from the start. The director of the program emailed me last Sunday asking me when and how he could contact me to discusss my application but since then hasn't responded or called. Getting a bit nervous. Should I call him myself?

barrinmw said:
I got accepted to Minnesota about a month ago and took it after waiting a bit over a week to hear back from any others. Then last week I got accepted to an internship at Argonne National Labs that would have sent me to the US Particle Accelerator School but turned it down. Minnesota is one of the schools I want to apply to for grad school so hopefully this helps me in.

Oh wow, the Internship at Argonne looked really good. Hopefully the Minnesota program works out well.

raluu said:
I've been rejected from UCLA, Columbia, and RIT so far. The only one left for me is Stony Brook's program which was really the one I wanted most from the start. The director of the program emailed me last Sunday asking me when and how he could contact me to discusss my application but since then hasn't responded or called. Getting a bit nervous. Should I call him myself?

I haven't got any rejection mails so far? Are rejection mails actually sent out or you are assuming your rejected because it is past a certain date?

Nano-Passion said:
I haven't got any rejection mails so far? Are rejection mails actually sent out or you are assuming your rejected because it is past a certain date?

I got rejection mails from UCLA and RIT. Columbia's program doesn't email a rejection and rather just updates their site when all the spots are filled up.

Called the Stony Brook director yesterday. Looks like I'm 0/4 on REUs this year unless a person they took decided to reject their offer. Disappointing, but I guess it's okay since I'm only a freshman. Sadly, I now have nothing to do over the summer and it seems like I passed the deadline for just about every internship.

raluu said:
I got rejection mails from UCLA and RIT. Columbia's program doesn't email a rejection and rather just updates their site when all the spots are filled up.

Called the Stony Brook director yesterday. Looks like I'm 0/4 on REUs this year unless a person they took decided to reject their offer. Disappointing, but I guess it's okay since I'm only a freshman. Sadly, I now have nothing to do over the summer and it seems like I passed the deadline for just about every internship.

If you are freshman I wouldn't fret too much...actually, as a freshman it would have been extremely remarkable if you had gotten an REU. I do not think I have ever heard of a freshman getting an REU through the NSF before. I am sure it happens, but I think it is quite rare.

Dirac_Man said:
If you are freshman I wouldn't fret too much...actually, as a freshman it would have been extremely remarkable if you had gotten an REU. I do not think I have ever heard of a freshman getting an REU through the NSF before. I am sure it happens, but I think it is quite rare.

Not to be a jerk, but I did this year. Only one of my 11 applications was accepted though, :uhh: . They do seem mostly aimed at Juniors and occasionally Sophomores, which I think *can* be unfair at times. I was rejected by one program for being in my first year and they hadn't even checked my transcript, which would have showed more substantial courses.

@raluu: Good luck for next year, maybe you can ask around at your uni. for someone who is willing to let you work for free this summer? The biggest concern is usually funding ^^; but if you are covering your own room and board, they'll probably be happy to let you work if you have skills they are looking for!

You might want to check out the summer course listings, or if they are lacking take courses through cross-registration at another school!

I just got an email back from LSU. They had more than 350 applicants! And I wasn't accepted.

I'm kind of getting the feel for the competition that is to come in my later career. :biggrin:

I applied to:

Louisiana State University
University of Idaho
University of Chicago
University of Illinois
Vanderbilt University
Notre Dame
Michigan State

I heard back from LSU yesterday and I'm on the wait list, and I wasn't accepted to Notre Dame. Has anyone heard from any of the other schools?!

erin526 said:
I applied to:

Louisiana State University
University of Idaho
University of Chicago
University of Illinois
Vanderbilt University
Notre Dame
Michigan State

I heard back from LSU yesterday and I'm on the wait list, and I wasn't accepted to Notre Dame. Has anyone heard from any of the other schools?!
I'm also wait listed for LSU. Hopefully we get in! A few weeks ago, I contacted all the programs on my list and they all eventually responded with my status. I would recommend doing the same.

ktb said:
I'm also wait listed for LSU. Hopefully we get in! A few weeks ago, I contacted all the programs on my list and they all eventually responded with my status. I would recommend doing the same.

Where are you on the wait list? I'm in the third group of ten so I'm not expecting much, but it still makes me feel better about my applications! And thanks for the advice, I just emailed my top two choices. Fingers Crossed!

Anyone get a reply from UPenn yet?

I applied to 20 REUs (probably overkill) and have not been accepted to any yet. I did get put on a wait list at two though. Was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? These are the ones I applied to.

X-Rejected O-Haven't Heard W-Wait-listed C-Cancelled

O SUNY
X Columbia
X Washington
O MSU
X ND
O Hawaii
O UNLV
O Wisconsin
O KSU
X Rochester
X Cern
X Minesotta
C UT (McDonald)
W NRAO
X MIT
O NAU
X KPNO
X LSU
W Caltech (LIGO)
O TAMU

orion726 said:
I applied to 20 REUs (probably overkill) and have not been accepted to any yet. I did get put on a wait list at two though. Was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? These are the ones I applied to.

X-Rejected O-Haven't Heard W-Wait-listed C-Cancelled

O SUNY
X Columbia
X Washington
O MSU
X ND
O Hawaii
O UNLV
O Wisconsin
O KSU
X Rochester
X Cern
X Minesotta
C UT (McDonald)
W NRAO
X MIT
O NAU
X KPNO
X LSU
W Caltech (LIGO)
O TAMU
I contacted NAU(Northern Arizona University?) a few weeks ago and they said that they only had a couple positions left... probably full by now. I also contacted TAMU and they said they handed out first round acceptances around March 13th and were going to hand out second round acceptances between March 26- April 1. As I did I'd advise you to contact the REU's you haven't heard from, if you don't it is likely that you just never will hear from them at all.

Has anyone heard from Vanderbilt? I've yet to hear and I applied before the early application deadline.

DougUTPhy said:
Has anyone heard from Vanderbilt? I've yet to hear and I applied before the early application deadline.

I just emailed them today, The actual deadline wasn't until March 15th, so maybe they are reviewing all applications before sending anything out? I applied before the early application date too. I'll let you know if I get a response from them!

erin526 said:
I'll let you know if I get a response from them!

Same here, good luck! I'm kind of thinking the same thing -- Maybe they're not sending anything out until all decisions are made.
I guess the other possible outcomes are I've already been rejected by the early application and I'm in the running for the regular, or I've been completed rejected ah! Haha we'll see.

Not sure what is happening with Vanderbilt...
I applied to 6 programs:
  1. Notre Dame - Rejected
  2. Colorado-Boulder - Nothing heard
  3. UC-Davis - Rejected
  4. TAMU - Nothing heard
  5. LIGO - Rejected
  6. Lehigh - Offered, Accepted

Good luck to those who are waiting! I received 3 rejection letters within about a week, it was pretty disheartening.

Last edited:
Just got a rejection from Stony Brook, they noted that they had several hundred applicants. Wow. :eek:

I just got rejected from colorado boulder. Can't say I'm too surprised or upset because I never actually finished the application. lol. I submitted the online form but never actually submitted the essay because there was nothing i wanted to do there.

I'm going to Indiana but I still haven't heard back from purdue, michigan state, texas, or Illinois. Kinda curious still.

Just got a rejection from Stony Brook, they noted that they had several hundred applicants. Wow.

Yeah that seems to be a general trend. Colorado got 500 applicants, Columbia got ~400 as did UM CERN. These programs are incredibly competitive and I'd be interested in comparing the competitiveness of REUs in comparison to grad schools if anyone has done this.

I imagine REUs are more competitive because there are fewer spots, a greater pressure for minority and gender equality (which is understandable), and less top tier schools offering REU programs, but that's just my opinion.

LBloom said:
Yeah that seems to be a general trend. Colorado got 500 applicants, Columbia got ~400 as did UM CERN.

Notre Dame told me they had 300 applicants. Wow!

LBloom said:
I just got rejected from colorado boulder. Can't say I'm too surprised or upset because I never actually finished the application. lol. I submitted the online form but never actually submitted the essay because there was nothing i wanted to do there.

I'm going to Indiana but I still haven't heard back from purdue, michigan state, texas, or Illinois. Kinda curious still.

Yeah that seems to be a general trend. Colorado got 500 applicants, Columbia got ~400 as did UM CERN. These programs are incredibly competitive and I'd be interested in comparing the competitiveness of REUs in comparison to grad schools if anyone has done this.

I imagine REUs are more competitive because there are fewer spots, a greater efor minority and gender equality (which is understandable), and less top tier schools offering REU programs, but that's just my opinion.

I fully applied at Colorado and haven't heard anything. I've accepted an offer, but they don't respond to any inquiries. I also got rejected from from SUNY even though I told them to withdraw my application. Lehigh told me they got 700 applications (how?) when I got their acceptance. According to USNews they don't have a super high-ranked program so I wonder where they get all these people.

I applied to 4 programs:

SUNY- Stony Brook: rejected
LSU- Waitlist
Oklahoma-received an offer
Idaho- Haven't heard anything.

Haven't made a decision yet, will decide by the end of the week.