Under what conditions does L=Iw hold?

• Thread starter BrunoIdeas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conditions
In summary, under certain conditions, the product L=Iw holds. This includes the case where the axis of rotation is not a ppal axis.
BrunoIdeas
So, that is the question: Under what conditions does L=Iw hold? Where L,I,w are all scalars.
Some specifics perhaps:
1) Supose a fixed axis of rotation, with accel, does is hold?
2) Suppose de axis of rot is not a ppal axis
3) Suppose there is fixed axis of rot, but I choose neither x nor y nor z to be in that direction, I'll have to use the I tensor, right?

Anyway this are just suggestions.
Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
For any FIXED axis, you can find a scalar I that satisfies L=Iw. It's only when the axis of rotation changes, such as in tumbling or if torque is applied, that tensor qualities of moment of inertia become important.

L=I*ω should hold in zero gravity on the International Space Station. See video of rotating book flipping axis of rotation in the video
In this video, neither I nor ω is constant, although the product is.

In this video clip, Pettit demonstrates stable and unstable modes for solid body rotation on the ISS. Using a hard cover textbook, he demonstrates that it will rotate stably about the longest and shortest axis, which represent the maximum and minimum movements of Inertia. Trying to rotate the book around an intermediate axis results in an unstable rotation in which the book appears to flip-flop while it rotates.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not what he's asking. He's asking under what circumstances I can be treated as a scalar. Axis flipping is inherently an outcome of tensor properties.

K^2 said:
That's not what he's asking. He's asking under what circumstances I can be treated as a scalar. Axis flipping is inherently an outcome of tensor properties.
Doesn't a book [see video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgVpOorcKqc] have three principal moment of inertia axes I1, I2, and I3, anyone of which can be treated as a scalar, even if I1 < I2 < I3?

1. What does L=Iw stand for?

L=Iw is an equation in physics that represents the relationship between angular momentum (L), moment of inertia (I), and angular velocity (w). It is also known as the angular momentum equation.

2. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of moment of inertia and angular velocity.

3. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass of the object and how its mass is distributed around the axis of rotation.

4. What are the conditions for L=Iw to hold?

To use the equation L=Iw, the object must be rotating around a fixed axis, and there must be no net external torque acting on the object. In other words, the object must be in a state of rotational equilibrium.

5. How is L=Iw useful in science?

L=Iw is a fundamental equation in mechanics and is used to understand and predict the behavior of objects in rotational motion, such as spinning tops, planets, and galaxies. It is also used in engineering applications, such as designing rotating machinery.