Newton's logic behind taking force as change in momentum w.r.t time?

In summary: Energy is a core concept in physics that refers to the ability to do work or cause change. It is measured in joules and can take various forms, such as kinetic energy, potential energy, and thermal energy.In summary, Newton observed that the change in momentum can be important in equations, leading to the concept of force. Force is defined as the derivative of momentum with respect to time. Energy is a core concept in physics that refers to the ability to do work or cause change and can take various forms.
joseph_seb
why Newton had taken force as change in momentum per time?
i mean i need to get physical interpretation?what is this force actually?
also help me to get an idea about energy in sense(core concept)?
not with some equations?
i see these equations every time?but didn't know meanining?
somebody please help with these or give the name of texts which i should refer to?
Calculus was invented by Newton in order to discuss the way that things vary in a concise way,ie,if it is integral calculus,it is the summation of continuous values represented by function,ie we it has a meaning;i'd like to get a simliar kinda explanation,ie,how the eqn f=dp/dt states what happens so much better than a long sentence involving instances and examples;ie,if u were the one to formulate this eqn, why would you define force like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton observed that the change in momentum can be important in equations. Therefore, he named this quantity. It is now known as "force".

what is this force actually?
The derivative of the momentum with respect to time ("its change in time"), using the definition from above.

also help me to get an idea about energy in sense(core concept)?
More energy available -> more stuff you can move around, break, heat, whatever

1. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How did Newton come up with the concept of force as change in momentum over time?

Newton's concept of force as change in momentum over time was a result of his experiments with forces and motion. He observed that when an object was in motion, it would continue moving unless acted upon by an external force. He also noticed that the change in an object's momentum was directly related to the force acting on it and the time over which the force was applied.

3. What is the significance of using momentum rather than just velocity in Newton's second law?

Using momentum in Newton's second law allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. Velocity only takes into account the speed of an object, while momentum takes into account both the speed and direction of motion. This is important because it allows for a more nuanced understanding of how forces affect objects in motion.

4. Why is time an important factor in Newton's second law?

Time is an essential factor in Newton's second law because it determines the rate at which a force acts on an object. The longer a force is applied, the greater the change in momentum and acceleration of the object will be. This is why a greater force applied over a shorter period of time can have the same effect as a smaller force applied over a longer period of time.

5. How does Newton's second law relate to the conservation of momentum?

Newton's second law is closely related to the conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that any changes in the momentum of one object must be balanced by equal and opposite changes in the momentum of another object. This principle is evident in Newton's second law, as the change in an object's momentum is directly proportional to the net force acting on it.