Is there an alternate nth power function without exponents?

In summary, "alternate nth power function" refers to a function in which a variable is raised to a constant power (xn) without using any exponents. This can be achieved by decomposing the original function into integer and non-integer parts and using a power series expansion with integer powers. However, this method may not lead to a finite computation for non-integer values and may require multiple transformations. Alternatively, the function can be expressed as a summation of n terms (p_n) related to n.
eddybob123
Hi guys I am just wondering if there exists an alternate nth power function that doesn't involve any exponents. Thank you in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
eddybob123 said:
Hi guys I am just wondering if there exists an alternate nth power function that doesn't involve any exponents. Thank you in advance.

What is an "alternate n-th power function"?

DonAntonio

"nth power" is another way of saying that the exponent is n.

Mark44 said:
"nth power" is another way of saying that the exponent is n.

That I know, what is "aternate" such a function, though? Perhaps he meant "alternative"? But then he'd be asking whether there's an exponential function that doesn't involve exponents...!

DonAntonio

if n is an integer you can just express it as a sum or product.

eddybob123,
If by "power function" you mean a function in which a variable is raised to a constant power (xn), then no, there is no way to express it without an exponent.

If that's not what you mean by power function, then please clarify for us what you're asking.

dipole said:
if n is an integer you can just express it as a sum or product.
I don't see what this has to do with what the OP asked.

But there should obviously be one that exists. For example, if one lists out the squares of the integers and find their differences, one will achieve all the positive odd numbers. Likewise, if one lists out the cubes of the integers, and find their differences and the differnece of their difference, one will achieve all the multiples of 6. I was just wondering whether their was a general formula for all the nth powers.

eddybob123 said:
But there should obviously be one that exists. For example, if one lists out the squares of the integers and find their differences, one will achieve all the positive odd numbers. Likewise, if one lists out the cubes of the integers, and find their differences and the differnece of their difference, one will achieve all the multiples of 6. I was just wondering whether their was a general formula for all the nth powers.

What does this have to do at all with your original question??

DonAntonio

eddybob123 said:

Hey eddybob123.

One way that you could do it is first decompose into integer and non-integer parts (i.e. x^(a+b) = x^a * x^b where a is an integer and b is the fractional part).

From this you can reduce the x^a to a summation (humungous but huge non-the-less) which then leaves how to resolve x^b.

For this part you can use a power-series expansion that is of the form of an 'infinite-polynomial'.

Technically you can't calculate this result in a finite-manner, but you can write the summation out in terms of a power series with integer powers and because they are in integer powers, you can use the ideas for summations from integer powers and do it this way.

So for example let's look at x^(2.5).

Take x^(2.5) = x^2 * x^(1/2). x^2 can be written out as a summation (you need to take into account the fractional part of x as well).

Now x^(1/2) has a power series expansion with integer powers. Again you will need to take into account the fractional parts and deal with these in a way that translates to summation.

Your answer most likely won't lend itself to finite-computation of integers or rational numbers, but it still can be expressed in terms of a summation.

When x is not an integer you have x = c + d where c is an integer and d is the fractional part. So now from this you have to consider (c+d)^f for some f.

The thing is though, that you may have to do many of these transformations repeatedly to get something in terms of rational numbers, but it can be done. Just don't expect the final transformation to be a simple one.

If x is an integer or a rational number, use the method presented first in this response. If however it is not rational, then you will need to use more general tools which will be a lot harder.

eddybob123 said:
if one lists out the cubes of the integers, and find their differences and the differnece of their difference, one will achieve all the multiples of 6.
Yes, you can achieve rn (plus smaller terms) by doing n summations up to r of the constant n!:
1! S(1, r) = Ʃ 1 = r
2! S(2, r) = 2! Ʃ S(1, r) = r(r+1) = r2 + r
3! S(3, r) = 3! Ʃ S(2, r) = r(r+1)(r+2) = r3 + 2r2 + 2r
etc.
Is that what you had in mind?

Mark44 said:
eddybob123,
If by "power function" you mean a function in which a variable is raised to a constant power (xn), then no, there is no way to express it without an exponent.

If that's not what you mean by power function, then please clarify for us what you're asking.

I don't see what this has to do with what the OP asked.

xn = x*x*x*x... n times. This can also be written as a sum.

Yes, haruspex, except with just general powers x^n expressed in summation form [n{SUM}k=1]f(x,n)

dipole said:
xn = x*x*x*x... n times. This can also be written as a sum.
OK, I'm game - show me.

haruspex said:
3! S(3, r) = 3! Ʃ S(2, r) = r(r+1)(r+2) = r3 + 2r2 + 2r

Er.. I mean = r3 + 3r2 + 2r

I know that for all x^n, that the terms p_n are related to n, and that x^n=p_1 + p_2 + p_3 + ... + p_n. I just need to find a direct function relating all values of p.

1. What is an alternate nth power function?

An alternate nth power function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = x^n, where n is a positive integer. It is called an "alternate" function because it is a variation of the traditional nth power function, which is defined as f(x) = x^n for all real numbers x.

2. How is an alternate nth power function different from a traditional nth power function?

The main difference between an alternate nth power function and a traditional nth power function is that the alternate function is only defined for positive values of x, whereas the traditional function is defined for all real numbers. Additionally, the alternate function can have a different behavior for negative values of x compared to the traditional function.

3. What is the domain and range of an alternate nth power function?

The domain of an alternate nth power function is the set of all positive real numbers, denoted as (0, ∞). The range depends on the value of n: for even values of n, the range is also (0, ∞), while for odd values of n, the range is the set of all positive and negative real numbers, denoted as (-∞, ∞).

4. What are the key properties of an alternate nth power function?

Some key properties of an alternate nth power function include: it is an increasing function when n is even and a decreasing function when n is odd, it is continuous and differentiable for all values of x in its domain, and it has a horizontal asymptote at y = 0 for n > 1.

5. How is an alternate nth power function used in science?

An alternate nth power function is used in science to model relationships between variables that have a power or exponential nature. For example, it can be used to represent growth rates, decay rates, or other processes that follow a power law. It is also commonly used in physics, chemistry, and biology to describe physical phenomena and natural laws.