How can the expression (a^n+b^n)/(a+b) be simplified?

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying an expression involving a prime number and elements of a specific ring. It is determined that if the number is even, it cannot be simplified. If it is odd, it can be expressed as a sum of powers. The concept of modular arithmetic and its application in this scenario is also briefly discussed.
eddybob123
Hi I was wondering if there is any way to simplify this expression or if it's already in its simplest form. Thank you in advance: (a^n+b^n)/(a+b)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If n is prime and a,b are elements of Z/nZ then that is (a + b)^(n-1)

eddybob123 said:
Hi I was wondering if there is any way to simplify this expression or if it's already in its simplest form. Thank you in advance: (a^n+b^n)/(a+b)

If n is even, it cannot be simplified.

If n is odd, you can do long division without a remainder to get the following expression:

[tex]a^{n-1} - ba^{n-2} + b^2a^{n-3} - ... + b^{n-1}[/tex]

which is

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}a^{n-k-1}.(-b)^k[/tex]

Of course, I wouldn't call the latter form "more simplified". The greatest exponent is lower, though.

Last edited:
@Mandlebra
n should be prime but what exactly do you mean by "Z/nZ. As you can probably see, I am an amateur mathematician.

Znz is the ring of integers mod n. 0,1,2,..., n-1. Check out modular arithmetic on wiki for an idea

Does this work for all values of a and b (positive, negative, integral, non-integral, etc.)?

Mandlebra said:
If n is prime and a,b are elements of Z/nZ then that is (a + b)^(n-1)

I don't think the OP was talking about [itex]\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}[/itex]. So I don't think it's good to post this kind of information since it only confuses the OP.

OP: the answer you want has been given by curiouspi.

micromass said:
I don't think the OP was talking about [itex]\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}[/itex]. So I don't think it's good to post this kind of information since it only confuses the OP.

OP: the answer you want has been given by curiouspi.

Who knows. He didn't provide much info

What was the "Z/nZ" you were talking about in your previous post?

eddybob123 said:
What was the "Z/nZ" you were talking about in your previous post?

The numbers on a clock are Z/12Z, for example. 7+8=3 mod 12. What time is it 8 hours after 7:00?

You don't really need these numbers till you take abstract algebra (AKA advanced algebra AKA modern algebra AKA algebra, not too be confused with those of the same name for high school, or linear algebra), or number theory or maybe combinatorics.

But, if you do, then you learn that in Z/pZ, where p is prime, then you have "the freshman's dream" (a+b)^p=a^+b^p, which is based off a quick application of the binomial theorem and applying multiples of p in Z/pZ are 0 (mod p).

What does it mean to "simplify" an expression?

Simplifying an expression means to rewrite the expression in a more condensed form without changing its value. This is usually done by combining like terms, using the order of operations, and reducing fractions.

Why is it important to simplify expressions?

Simplifying expressions can make them easier to work with and solve. It can also help identify patterns and relationships within the expression.

How do I simplify an expression?

To simplify an expression, start by combining like terms, then use the order of operations to simplify any remaining terms. Finally, reduce any fractions and rewrite the expression in its simplest form.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying expressions?

Some common mistakes when simplifying expressions include forgetting to distribute negative signs, not following the correct order of operations, and incorrectly combining unlike terms.

Can all expressions be simplified?

No, not all expressions can be simplified. Some expressions, such as those containing variables with different exponents, cannot be simplified further without knowing the values of the variables.