Square roots in quadratic trinomial inequalities

In summary, when treating expressions under a square root in inequalities, it is helpful to first ignore the inequality sign and treat it as an equal sign. Then, after finding solutions for the equality, test them in the original equation to determine the solutions for the inequality. By testing points greater than, between, and less than the solutions, we can determine the range of values that satisfy the inequality.
Kartik.
How do we treat expressions under a sqaure root in inequalities ? Like for ex.

x+4< Math.sqrt(-x^2-8x-12) (sorry, using m.physicsforums, so i don't know what to use for a root, so JAVA :p)
I request the use of this very example.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So what I like to do is ignore the inequality sign. Treat it as an = sign. Then when I have solutions for the equality I go back and test in the original equation to find the solutions to my inequality.

So for your example.

Square both sides.

(x+4)^2 = -x^2 - 8x -12

Expand

x^2 + 8x + 16 = -x^2 - 8x - 12

Get variables on one side and combine like terms

2x^2 + 16x + 28 = 0

Divide by 2

x^2 + 8x + 14 = 0

Solve

x = (-8 +/- SQRT(64 - 4*1*14) ) / 2*1

x = (-8 +/- SQRT(64 - 56 ) / 2

x = (-8 +/- SQRT(8) / 2

x = (-8 +/- 2*SQRT(2) / 2

x = -4 +/- 1*SQRT(2)

x = -4 +/- SQRT(2)

So now that we have our two solutions we want to treat these as critical points and see what happens between them to find what our solution is.

So I like to test points.

I will test a point greater than both our solutions (0), a point between our two solutinos (-4) and a point less than our two solutions (-10).

For x = 0 we get

0+4< Math.sqrt(-0^2-8*0-12)

4 < SQRT(-12)

This does not solve our inequality.

For x = -4

-4+4< Math.sqrt(-(-4)^2-8(-4)-12)

0 < SQRT(-16 + 32 -12)

0 < SQRT(4)

0 < 2

Success!

For x = (-10)

(-10)+4< Math.sqrt(-(-10)^2-8(-10)-12)

-6 < SQRT(-100 + 80 -12)

-6 < SQRT(-32)

This does not solve our equation.

Now let's just double check our endpoints.

x = -4 +/- SQRT(2)

Remember that this solution is going to make the original equation EQUAL. That means that since we have strictly less than (<) they will not be solutions,

So the solution to the original will be

-4 - SQRT(2) < x < -4 + SQRT(2)

I hope I have helped.

1. What is a square root in a quadratic trinomial inequality?

A square root in a quadratic trinomial inequality is a mathematical operation that involves finding the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. In quadratic trinomial inequalities, the square root is used to find the solutions to the inequality.

2. How do you solve for square roots in quadratic trinomial inequalities?

To solve for square roots in quadratic trinomial inequalities, you can use the quadratic formula or factor the trinomial. If the inequality is in the form of x^2 < a, you can take the square root of both sides. If the inequality is in the form of x^2 > a, you can square both sides and then solve for x.

3. What is the difference between solving for a square root and solving for a quadratic trinomial inequality?

Solving for a square root involves finding the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. Solving for a quadratic trinomial inequality involves finding the solutions to an inequality that contains a quadratic trinomial. The process for solving each may be different, depending on the specific problem.

4. Can square roots be negative in quadratic trinomial inequalities?

Yes, square roots can be negative in quadratic trinomial inequalities. When solving for square roots in quadratic trinomial inequalities using the quadratic formula, you may get both a positive and a negative solution. Both solutions should be considered when finding the solutions to the inequality.

5. How do you graph quadratic trinomial inequalities that involve square roots?

To graph quadratic trinomial inequalities that involve square roots, you can first graph the related quadratic trinomial without the square root. Then, you can plot the solutions to the inequality, which will be the points where the graph of the quadratic trinomial intersects the x-axis. If both positive and negative solutions are obtained, the graph will have two parts, representing the two solutions.