Sakurai Degenerate Perturbation Theory: projection operators

In summary: So the third term contributes to the order λ2 term in the power series expansion of the expression in the brackets.
maverick280857
Hi,

So, I am working through section 5.2 of Sakurai's book which is "Time Independent Perturbation Theory: The Degenerate Case", and I see a few equations I'm having some trouble reconciling with probably because of notation. These are equations 5.2.3, 5.2.4, 5.2.5 and 5.2.7.

First, we define a projection operator [itex]P_0[/itex] onto the space defined by [itex]\{|m^{(0)}\rangle\}[/itex]. We define [itex]P_1 = 1-P_0[/itex] to be the projection onto the remaining states. There are g different eigenkets with the same unperturbed energy [itex]E_{D}^{(0)}[/itex]. So, we have

[tex](E-E_{D}^{(0)} - \lambda P_0 V)P_0|l\rangle - \lambda P_0 V P_1|l\rangle = 0[/tex]
[tex]-\lambda P_1 V P_0 |l\rangle + (E - H_0 - \lambda P_1 V)P_1 |l\rangle = 0[/tex]

So the second equation supposedly gives equation 5.2.5

[tex]P_1 |l\rangle = P_1 \frac{\lambda}{E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V P_1}P_1 V P_0|l\rangle[/tex]

Question 1: How does one get the extra [itex]P_1[/itex] on the RHS sticking to the left?

Now if we substitute this into the second of the two equations above, we supposedly get

[tex]\left(E-E_{D}^{(0)} - \lambda P_0 V P_0 - \lambda^2 P_0 V P_1 \frac{1}{E-H_0-\lambda V}P_1 V P_0\right)P_0|l\rangle = 0[/tex]

Question 2: In the third term, in the denominator, how does one get [itex]\lambda V[/itex] instead of [itex]\lambda P_1 V P_1[itex]?

Finally, using this last expression, Sakurai obtains for [itex]|l^{(0)}\rangle[/itex] the condition

[tex](E-E_{D}^{(0)}-\lambda P_0 V P_0)(P_0 |l^{(0)}\rangle) = 0[/tex]

Question 3: How does one arrive at this condition? The operator in the brackets is written to order [itex]\lambda[/itex], but the third term also has an order [itex]\lambda[/itex] term. Isn't the idea here to expand both the big bracket and the ket as two power series in [itex]\lambda[/itex] and then equate the "coefficients" of each term order by order to the right hand side, which is identically zero?

Any help or hints will be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
maverick280857 said:
Question 1: How does one get the extra [itex]P_1[/itex] on the RHS sticking to the left?
I only have time to look at this one right now. You multiply both sides of the second equation by this:
\begin{align}
(E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V)^{-1} &=P_1P_1^{~-1}(E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V)^{-1} =P_1\big((E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V)P_1\big)^{-1}\\
&=P_1\big((E-H_0)P_1-\lambda P_1VP_1\big)^{-1}
\end{align} I guess we must have ##(E-H_0)P_1=E-H_0## somehow. Hm...I think that this is not true, but we can pretend that it is as long as the operator above only acts on states of the form ##P_1|\text{something}\rangle##. To put it differently, the restriction of ##E-H_0## to the subspace ##P_1(\mathcal H)## (where ##\mathcal H## is the Hilbert space) is equal to the restriction of ##(E-H_0)P_1## to that subspace.

Edit: D'oh, this doesn't make sense. Projection operators aren't invertible. Unfortunately I have to leave the computer for a couple of hours now.

Last edited:
maverick280857 said:

I believe Sakurai gives the answer to this. E - H0 - λP1VP1 is singular and can't be inverted. But it is nonsingular in the P1 subspace. So we invert its projection, P1(E - H0 - λP1VP1)P1, gettting P1(E - H0 - λP1VP1)-1 P1.

Likes 1 person
maverick280857 said:
Question 3: How does one arrive at this condition? The operator in the brackets is written to order [itex]\lambda[/itex], but the third term also has an order [itex]\lambda[/itex] term.
No, the third term already has a λ2 in front, and if you expand (E - H0 - λV)-1 in a power series for small λ, it will contribute only more positive powers of λ.

Last edited:

1. What is Sakurai Degenerate Perturbation Theory?

Sakurai Degenerate Perturbation Theory is a mathematical method used in quantum mechanics to solve for the energy states and wavefunctions of a system when there are multiple degenerate states, meaning states with the same energy. It involves the use of projection operators to remove the degeneracy and calculate the perturbed energy levels and wavefunctions.

2. How does Sakurai Degenerate Perturbation Theory differ from regular perturbation theory?

Regular perturbation theory assumes that the perturbation is small compared to the unperturbed Hamiltonian of the system. However, Sakurai Degenerate Perturbation Theory allows for the perturbation to be large and still yields accurate results. It also takes into account degeneracy, which regular perturbation theory does not.

3. What is the role of projection operators in Sakurai Degenerate Perturbation Theory?

Projection operators are used to project out the degenerate states in a system, making it non-degenerate. This allows for the application of regular perturbation theory to calculate the perturbed energy levels and wavefunctions. The projection operators also ensure that the perturbed states are orthogonal to the unperturbed states.

4. Can Sakurai Degenerate Perturbation Theory be applied to all systems?

No, Sakurai Degenerate Perturbation Theory is only applicable to systems with a finite number of states and a discrete spectrum. It cannot be used for continuous systems or systems with an infinite number of energy levels.

5. What are the limitations of Sakurai Degenerate Perturbation Theory?

One limitation of Sakurai Degenerate Perturbation Theory is that it cannot be used for systems with non-degenerate ground states. It also assumes that the perturbation is time-independent and does not take into account any time-dependent effects. Additionally, it may not accurately predict higher-order perturbation corrections for systems with strong perturbations.