Stern-Gerlach spin probability

In summary, the Stern-Gerlach apparatus measures the z component of particles' spin angular momentum, with results of either 1/2ħ or -1/2ħ. The probability of getting 1/2ħ is 0.75, and the probability of getting -1/2ħ is 0.25. If 20000 particles are sent through, approximately 50% will have a z component equal to -1/2ħ. The average z component of spin for all particles will depend on the initial polarization of the particles.
sweetdreams12
So I've just been reading about the Stern-Gerlach apparatus/experiment and had some questions about the half spin probabilities...

First let's say a collection of spin-half particles are sent through a S-G apparatus (which I know measures the z component of particles spin angular momentum) it is known that the results are always either 1/2ħ or -1/2ħ. And though the result cannot be predicted before it has been calculated by quantum mechanics that the probability of getting 1/2ħ is 0.75. So then what is the probability of getting the result -1/2ħ? I saw some sites referring to cosine and sine while others said it was 1 so it confused me

So for example if say 20000 particles are sent through, how many will have a z component equal to -1/2ħ (I'm thinking 50%?) then what would be the average z component of spin for all the particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a binary measurement. If you are not measuring +1/2 you are measuring -1/2 and the probability should add up to one. Thus, if you know that the probability of measuring 1/2 is 75%, then the probability of measuring -1/2 must be 25%.

Of course, in order to have such a setup, the incoming spins must already be polarized or the probabilities will be 50-50.

1. What is the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is a famous experiment in quantum mechanics that was conducted in 1922 by Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach. It involves passing a beam of particles, usually silver atoms, through a non-uniform magnetic field and observing the deflection of the particles.

2. What is the significance of the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment was the first experimental evidence of quantization of angular momentum, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It also played a crucial role in the development of quantum theory and our understanding of the behavior of particles at the atomic level.

3. What is the concept of spin probability in the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

In the Stern-Gerlach experiment, the particles are deflected by the magnetic field based on their spin, which is a quantum mechanical property. The spin probability refers to the probability of a particle having a certain spin value, either up or down, when it is passed through the magnetic field.

4. How do we measure the spin probability in the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The spin probability is measured by observing the deflection of the particles on a screen placed at the end of the magnetic field. The particles will form distinct bands on the screen, representing the different spin states and their probabilities. The number of particles in each band can be counted to determine the spin probability.

5. What is the relationship between spin probability and superposition in the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

In the Stern-Gerlach experiment, particles can have a spin state of either up or down, but they can also exist in a superposition of both states. The spin probability shows the likelihood of a particle being in a particular spin state when it is observed, and it can be affected by the superposition of states. This demonstrates the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.