Chandrashekhar limit for relativistic fermion gas

In summary, the individual has been working on Chandrashekhar limit and has found a mass-radius relationship for nonrelativistic fermi gases using a specific formula. However, they are now looking for a way to plot a mass-radius relationship for relativistic fermi gases and are seeking suggestions for further reading on differentiating between the two types of gases. They have also asked a question in another thread about an equation for nonrelativistic gases where the radius goes to zero as the mass approaches 1.44.
cooper607
hi fellas, I have been working on Chandrashekhar limit, and I found a mass-radius relationship for the nonrelativistic fermi gases using this formula and i got the graph of this

R=((18pi)^(2/3))/10 *H^2/(GmM^(1/3) ) (0.5/n)^(5/3)

where H=(6.63*10^-34)/2pi
G=6.67*10^-11
m=9.11*10^-31
n=1.67*10^-27
M is the independent variable

but what changes should I make if i want to plot a mass-radius relationship for relativistic fermi gases? actually can you suggest me a reading for differentiating between relativistic and non relativistic fermi gases?
thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

all i found out is the relation of radius vs mass for non relativistic gas, but is there any equation of R for non relativistic one where the radius goes to zero as mass goes to 1.44 ?

for your question and for sharing your research on the Chandrashekhar limit for relativistic fermion gas. It is great to see that you are exploring this important concept in astrophysics.

To answer your question, there are a few changes that need to be made in order to plot a mass-radius relationship for relativistic fermi gases. First, the formula you have provided is for nonrelativistic fermi gases, so it will not accurately represent the behavior of relativistic fermi gases. Instead, you will need to use the relativistic fermi gas equation, which takes into account the effects of special relativity on the particles.

The relativistic fermi gas equation is given by:

R = (18π^2 / 10) * (ħc)^2 / (GmM)^(1/3) * (1/ξ)^(4/3)

where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and ξ is a dimensionless constant that depends on the particular type of fermions in the gas.

As you can see, the main difference between the two equations is the inclusion of the relativistic factor (1/ξ)^(4/3) in the relativistic fermi gas equation. This factor accounts for the relativistic effects on the fermions, which become more significant at higher energies.

In order to plot a mass-radius relationship for relativistic fermi gases, you will need to use this equation and vary the value of ξ to see how it affects the curve. Different types of fermions will have different values of ξ, so this will give you a better understanding of the behavior of different types of relativistic fermi gases.

As for resources to learn more about the difference between relativistic and nonrelativistic fermi gases, I would recommend looking into textbooks or articles on astrophysics and particle physics. You can also consult with experts in the field or attend conferences and seminars on the topic. Good luck with your research!

What is the Chandrashekhar limit for relativistic fermion gas?

The Chandrashekhar limit for relativistic fermion gas, also known as the Chandrashekhar mass limit, is the maximum mass that a white dwarf star can support against gravitational collapse. It is named after the Indian astrophysicist, Subrahmanyan Chandrashekhar, who first calculated this limit in 1931.

How is the Chandrashekhar limit calculated?

The Chandrashekhar limit is calculated using a combination of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It takes into account the mass, density, and pressure of the gas inside the white dwarf. The resulting formula is known as the Chandrashekhar mass formula, which gives the maximum mass in terms of the fundamental constants of nature.

Why is the Chandrashekhar limit important?

The Chandrashekhar limit is important because it determines whether a star will end its life as a white dwarf or continue to undergo gravitational collapse. Stars that exceed this limit will eventually become neutron stars or black holes. It also provides valuable insights into the structure and evolution of stars.

How does the Chandrashekhar limit relate to the degeneracy pressure of fermions?

The Chandrashekhar limit is directly related to the degeneracy pressure of fermions, which is a quantum mechanical effect that counteracts the force of gravity. As the density of fermions increases, their degeneracy pressure also increases, eventually reaching a point where it can no longer support the star against gravitational collapse. This is the Chandrashekhar limit.

What is the current value of the Chandrashekhar limit?

The current accepted value for the Chandrashekhar limit is approximately 1.4 times the mass of our Sun, or 2.765 x 10^30 kg. This value was determined by subsequent calculations and observations, and it is an important parameter in the study of stellar evolution and the formation of compact objects in the universe.