Can anybody see a mathematical relationship here?

In summary, eNathan was trying to find a relationship between different sets of numbers, but could not find one. He found that if he multiplied the numbers in the first column together, the result was the same as the number in the second column. He was also able to find a relationship between numbers that have an '!' in them, such as 4!=24.
eNathan
Hi. I was playing with the square of numbers for a few hours, and I can up with this set of numbers, can anybody show me a relationship?

P X D
______
2 2 2
_______
3 3 6
_______
4 4 24
_______
5 5 120
_______

I cannot see a relationship But there has to be. Any help?

--eNathan (3.14)

Physics news on Phys.org
eNathan said:
Hi. I was playing with the square of numbers for a few hours, and I can up with this set of numbers, can anybody show me a relationship?

P X D
______
2 2 2
_______
3 3 6
_______
4 4 24
_______
5 5 120
_______

I cannot see a relationship But there has to be. Any help?

--eNathan (3.14)

What exactly were you playing around with ? That'll help us to explain the relationship better.

Anyway, [tex]2 ! = 2, 3 ! = 6, 4 ! = 24, 5 ! = 120[/tex], the last column appears to comprise factorials of the identical first two column numbers.

What do all the '!' mean? I though != is innequality <>

eNathan said:
What do all the '!' mean? I though != is innequality <>

No that's computer speak (for example, C programming uses that).

'!' in Maths is factorial. [tex]n! = 1.2.3...(n-1)(n)[/tex], the sequential product of all natural numbers less than or equal to n. It is only defined for nonnegative integers, with 0! = 1 (by definition). (There is an extension of factorial for non-integers called the gamma function, but you don't have to worry about that for now).

OK, so what were you doing, maybe I or someone else can help you understand the pattern.

Last edited:
n, n, n! Other than that what were you looking for?

I am asking, givin this set

P X D
______
2 2 2
_______
3 3 6
_______
4 4 24
_______
5 5 120

I am saying, is there any way to mathematicly manipulate P, and X to get the value of D? For the first one, I guess you could do P / X * P = D, but that would not work for the second one. For the second one you could do P + X = D, but that would not work for the third one. And I don't even know how you can mathematicly manipulate 4 and 4 to get 24, I suppose (PX + (2X)) but that makes no sense. I will try to explain how I got these numbers when I have the time I am at school ATM.

The answer, from that set, is D=P! and is independent of X (though as X=P that is debatable).

I think everyone wishses you to state what P, X and D are.

eNathan said:
I am asking, givin this set

P X D
______
2 2 2
_______
3 3 6
_______
4 4 24
_______
5 5 120

I am saying, is there any way to mathematicly manipulate P, and X to get the value of D? .

Yes of course. As already pointed out D=factorial(P) and X is just redundant.

What does it mean to see a mathematical relationship?

Seeing a mathematical relationship means being able to identify patterns or connections between different mathematical elements or variables.

Why is it important to see a mathematical relationship?

Recognizing mathematical relationships allows for a deeper understanding of concepts and can help in problem-solving and making predictions.

How can I determine if there is a mathematical relationship present?

One way to determine if there is a mathematical relationship is by creating a graph or table to visually represent the data and look for patterns or trends.

Is it necessary to see a mathematical relationship in every situation?

No, there may be situations where the data does not exhibit a clear mathematical relationship. In these cases, it is important to analyze the data further and consider other factors that may be influencing the results.

Can mathematical relationships be seen in non-numerical data?

Yes, mathematical relationships can also be seen in non-numerical data such as shapes, patterns, and geometric figures.