Is the Ruvo Sleem X a Better Choice than a Laptop for Studying Abroad?

• Thread starter darkar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary, the person is considering buying the Ruvo Sleem X instead of a laptop for their upcoming studies abroad. They are impressed with its desktop-level performance and the affordable price in Malaysia Ringgit, which translates to around $1,157 in USD. However, they are concerned about the graphic card, which is an Intel Extreme onboard card and may not be suitable for serious activities like gaming or modeling. The person acknowledges that the Ruvo may not be as expensive as initially thought, but the performance may not be up to par.
darkar
I m planning to buy a new laptop when i go to overseas to study in this sept. However, i found this new product and was wondering would it be a good idea to bring this Ruvo Sleem X instead of using Laptop?

The Ruvo Sleem X : www.ruvo.com

Computer science news on Phys.org
... appears to have in principle desktop comparable performance (although I couldn't vouch that completely on the basis of those specs)... price compared to laptops , found any info on that ? Interesting system overall.

It is in the currency of Malaysia Ringgit, suggested retail price of RUVO Sleem X is RM4,399. Which is about USD $ 1,157.69 .

... to me that would be really cheap, unfortunately we're ripped quite a bit more for our hardware :smile: ... how does it compare to mid-priced laptops in Malaysia (performance wise could be comparable to something like that)?

Well, quite expansive. Cost around RM 7500, but with processor of Pentium M 1.73. Which is roughly about USD $1980.

The think i dun like is the graphic card... Is Intel Extreme good?

I've the impression that Intel Extreme as an onboard card isn't really top of the line, and as such is probably the biggest weakness of the system. At least if you're going to do some serious modeling, gaming or something like. The problem is similar in cheaper laptops, but I think the mid priced newer ones the last time I checked are starting to have good enough graphics cards (first sign of a good one seems to be that it's not onboard :biggrin: ) to do serious stuff. Seems like the Ruvo isn't that expensive afterall, but rather it's whether you can live with the performance it can provide.

1. Should I buy a laptop or a desktop computer?

It depends on your needs and preferences. Laptops offer portability and convenience, while desktops tend to have more powerful hardware and are better for tasks like gaming or video editing. Consider what you will primarily use the computer for and make your decision based on that.

2. What factors should I consider when buying a laptop?

Some important factors to consider include the processor speed, RAM, storage capacity, graphics card, and battery life. You should also think about the size and weight of the laptop, the operating system, and any additional features such as touchscreen or 2-in-1 capabilities.

3. Is it better to buy a laptop online or in-store?

Both options have their pros and cons. Buying online can offer a wider selection and potentially better prices, while buying in-store allows you to physically see and test the laptop before making a purchase. Consider your preferences and make a decision based on that.

4. How much should I spend on a laptop?

The cost of a laptop can vary greatly depending on the brand, specifications, and features. It is important to set a budget and research different options within that price range. Keep in mind that more expensive does not always mean better, and it’s important to consider your needs and priorities when determining how much to spend.

5. What are the most important specs to look for in a laptop?

The most important specs will vary based on your intended use for the laptop. Generally, a good processor, sufficient RAM, and enough storage are essential for most tasks. If you plan on using the laptop for gaming or video editing, a dedicated graphics card is also important. Consider your specific needs and do some research to determine which specs are most important for you.