What's Happening in the Night Sky? Upcoming Astronomy Events to Look Out For!

In summary: Jupiter: Last night the sky was overcast, but Jupiter still shown through the clouds. (At least by Notre Dame.) Amazing.Mars: For neat and detailed stuff, you can go to JPL's calendar and click on the month of your choice.Saturn: Phobos: Do you mean ANY sky watch? There's one here in Sacramento, I think. It's supposed to be every last Friday of the month. Star parties are ok to list here too. In general, I meant things like letting everyone know about upcoming astronomical events (like, events in the sky). For example, you amateur astronomers

I never considered the weather in space to be an event but you never know.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Two Asteroids to Pass by Earth Wednesday
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/asteroidwatch/newsfeatures.cfm?release=2725 [Broken]

Asteroids 2010 RX 30 and 2010 RF12 will make their closest approach to Earth this Wed. At time of closest approach for 2010 RX 30 (2:51 a.m. PDT), it will be approximately 154,000 miles (about 248,000 kilometers) above the North Pacific, south of Japan. At time of closest approach for 2010 RF12 30 (2:12 p.m. PDT ), the asteroid will be approximately 49,088 miles (about 79,000 kilometers) above Antarctica.

Last edited by a moderator:

why auroras exist near alaska ??

Its bcoz of something called "Magnetc bottle" phenomenon. Near poles Earth's magnetic field lines converge.

Anyone checking out the Geminid shower?
I believe it starts tonight through 12/15

I was out this morning around 2AM, and lost count after seeing about 30. I believe it was at its peek last night. It was beautiful.

hypatia said:
I was out this morning around 2AM, and lost count after seeing about 30. I believe it was at its peek last night. It was beautiful.

I had a brief look for 5 minutes last night, through thin patchy cloud, and saw one small flash and one surprisingly bright reddish-orange glowing ball which seemed to move relatively slowly, leaving a bright trail, visible for a few seconds.

hypatia said:
How long were you out?

I was frozen stiff under perfectly clear skies, by 4AM.

The darkest I have ever seen was one night when a magnitude 6.9 star could be seen, but this is very rare. Magnitude 11 is usually considered near the limit for a good 8 inch telescope. I heard from a math major who's taking the astronomy class at my school that there is a nebula or a new star forming in Orion's belt.

http://www.watch-eureka-online.com/" [Broken]

Lunar eclipse and winter solstice to coincide, first time since the year 1378

Coincidences: This lunar eclipse falls on the date of the northern winter solstice. How rare is that? Total lunar eclipses in northern winter are fairly common. There have been three of them in the past ten years alone. A lunar eclipse smack-dab on the date of the solstice, however, is unusual. Using NASA's 5000 year catalog of lunar eclipses and JPL's HORIZONS ephemeris to match eclipses and solstices, author Dr. Tony Phillips had to go back to the year 1378 to find a similar "winter solstice lunar eclipse."

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/17dec_solsticeeclipse/

Here are the times at which the upcoming lunar eclipse will occur.

Night of Dec. 20 / morning of Dec. 21
The three times listed are Pacific (USA) and Eastern (USA)

Partial phase begins: 10:33 PM / 1:33 AM
Total phase begins: 11:41 PM / 2:41 AM
Total phase ends: 12:53 AM / 3:53
Partial phase ends: 2:01 AM / 5:01

Last edited:

Well, I got a crappy hand-held pic...

Sorry, it's the best I could do.

I did see the ruddy red after midnight, though... Wonderful!

- Mugs

Attachments

• IMG_3609.jpg
    IMG_3609.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 387

Greetings:

I am looking for a formula to find the duration of sun's meridian transit for a given location and date.

Can anyone help out?

Saturn has been a joy to view this month. Even with a very small scope, you can clearly see the rings. If you look to the east, you will see 2 bright objects. One is the star Spica in the constellation Virgo, the slightly brighter one above it, is Saturn.

Saturn is still out. Second time I've seen it in 5 years. Very bright, and it seemed as though I could see between the planet at the rings. I may be crazy though.

Someone who knows if anything astronomical is happening in the northern hemisphere (Northern Europe) this July? :)

Moderator's note: Please, let's keep the posts in this thread on-topic. We have had to delete a number of off-topic posts in recent months.

Any local event in NOVA, near DC? Send a PM if anyone knows of any please

http://news.yahoo.com/largest-sunspot-years-observed-sun-215806669.html"
The sunspot behemoth isn't yet facing our planet, but was spotted today (Nov. 3) by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) satellite. The spacecraft 's photos of the giant sunspot show the solar region as it comes into view on the northeastern edge, or limb, of the sun.

When it does turn our way in the days ahead, it should be an "easy target for backyard solar telescopes," according to SpaceWeather.com.

It's November now ricci!

"When it does turn our way in the days ahead, it should be an "easy target for backyard solar telescopes," according to SpaceWeather.com."

Some of my friends told me it is also visible with the naked eye (using protection of course).

good view of totality after the clouds cleared minutes before totality started :)

looking forward to the Venus transit next year, last one of the pair and a long time before the next set. no one alive today will see it.

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• IMGP0106b.jpg
    IMGP0106b.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 429

Quadrantids Meteor Shower tonight. Starting at about 3AM when the moon sets to dawn will be the best viewing time. Only happens today.

toxicity_27 said:
Quadrantids Meteor Shower tonight. Starting at about 3AM when the moon sets to dawn will be the best viewing time. Only happens today.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Have only arrived back in the country after xmas and NY overseas and haven't had a chance to catch up on up coming events

cheers
Dave

Start planning your trips now. On June 5-6 the last transit of Venus across the Sun for the next 105 years will occur. Observers in the US can only see part of the transit, as it starts to occur at sunset.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_of_Venus,_2012

Drakkith said:
On June 5-6 the last transit of Venus across the Sun for the next 105 years will occur.
In which all countries is it view-able? Please let me know.

Follow links from the wikipedia article to find out details, it is all there.

Borek said:
Follow links from the wikipedia article to find out details, it is all there.
Yup, the map with the caption "Where the 2012 transit will be visible" is pretty informative.

Thanks a lot.

Annular Solar Eclipse

May 20 - Annular Solar Eclipse. The path of annularity will begin in southern China and move east through Japan, the northern Pacific Ocean, and into the western United States. A partial eclipse will be visible throughout parts of eastern Asia and most of North America.

Bump: Venus transit is on Wednesday.

Borek said:
Bump: Venus transit is on Wednesday.

Woohoo!

Tuesday for the United States.

Tuesday around 5:00 pm Central is first contact and it lasts just over 6 hours... well past sunset. That's Wednesday about midnight Central European Time. Sorry Borek. You should be able to follow it via GLORIA though.

If not for the weather it should be visible here around sunrise.

<h2>1. What is the best time to see a meteor shower?</h2><p>The best time to see a meteor shower is typically in the early morning hours, around 2-3 am, when the sky is darkest. However, this can vary depending on the specific meteor shower and your location.</p><h2>2. When is the next total solar eclipse?</h2><p>The next total solar eclipse will occur on December 4, 2021, but it will only be visible from Antarctica. The next total solar eclipse visible from North America will be on April 8, 2024.</p><h2>3. How can I see the International Space Station in the night sky?</h2><p>The International Space Station can be seen in the night sky as a bright, fast-moving object. You can track its location and find out when it will be visible in your area by using a website or app such as NASA's Spot the Station.</p><h2>4. What is a supermoon and when is the next one?</h2><p>A supermoon occurs when the full moon coincides with the moon's closest approach to Earth, making it appear larger and brighter in the sky. The next supermoon will occur on April 27, 2021.</p><h2>5. What is the best way to view a comet?</h2><p>The best way to view a comet is with binoculars or a telescope. Comets can be unpredictable, so it's important to keep an eye on astronomy news and updates to know when a comet will be visible in the night sky.</p>

1. What is the best time to see a meteor shower?

The best time to see a meteor shower is typically in the early morning hours, around 2-3 am, when the sky is darkest. However, this can vary depending on the specific meteor shower and your location.

2. When is the next total solar eclipse?

The next total solar eclipse will occur on December 4, 2021, but it will only be visible from Antarctica. The next total solar eclipse visible from North America will be on April 8, 2024.

3. How can I see the International Space Station in the night sky?

The International Space Station can be seen in the night sky as a bright, fast-moving object. You can track its location and find out when it will be visible in your area by using a website or app such as NASA's Spot the Station.

4. What is a supermoon and when is the next one?

A supermoon occurs when the full moon coincides with the moon's closest approach to Earth, making it appear larger and brighter in the sky. The next supermoon will occur on April 27, 2021.

5. What is the best way to view a comet?

The best way to view a comet is with binoculars or a telescope. Comets can be unpredictable, so it's important to keep an eye on astronomy news and updates to know when a comet will be visible in the night sky.