How to Evaluate the Integral of x^2e^(-x^2) Using the Integral of e^(-x^2)

• Thread starter spaniks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses using the fact that the integral evaluated from -∞ to +∞ of e^(-x^2) is sqrt(∏) to evaluate the integral from -∞ to +∞ of x^2(e^(-x^2)). The person tried using integration by parts but was unsure of their solution. Another person suggested trying integration by parts again, this time setting u = x and dv = x*e^(-x^2)dx. This method led to the correct answer.
spaniks

Homework Statement

Use the fact that the integral evaluated from -∞ to +∞ of e^(-x^2) is sqrt(∏) to evaluate the integral from -∞ to +∞ of x^2(e^(-x^2)).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using integration by parts and I came down to an indefinite integral of sqrt(∏)*x^2. I know the answer is sqrt(∏)/2 but I don't see how. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong please.

Physics news on Phys.org
spaniks said:

Homework Statement

Use the fact that the integral evaluated from -∞ to +∞ of e^(-x^2) is sqrt(∏) to evaluate the integral from -∞ to +∞ of x^2(e^(-x^2)).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using integration by parts and I came down to an indefinite integral of sqrt(∏)*x^2. I know the answer is sqrt(∏)/2 but I don't see how. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong please.

That doesn't seem right. Try doing integration by parts by setting [itex]u = x \text{ and } dv=xe^{-x^2}dx[/itex].

Thanks I got the answer using that method

1. What is the formula for finding the integral of x^2e^(-x^2)?

The formula for finding the integral of x^2e^(-x^2) is ∫x^2e^(-x^2)dx = -1/2e^(-x^2) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve the integral of x^2e^(-x^2)?

To solve the integral of x^2e^(-x^2), you can use the substitution method by letting u = -x^2. Then, du/dx = -2x and dx = -du/2x. Substituting these values into the integral, we get ∫x^2e^(-x^2)dx = ∫-(u/2)e^u(-du/2x) = 1/4∫ue^u du. This can be solved using integration by parts or the power rule.

3. What is the graph of the integral of x^2e^(-x^2)?

The graph of the integral of x^2e^(-x^2) is a curve that starts at the origin and asymptotically approaches the x-axis on both sides. It has a maximum value of 0.5 at x = 0 and decreases as x increases.

4. How do you interpret the integral of x^2e^(-x^2) geometrically?

Geometrically, the integral of x^2e^(-x^2) represents the area under the curve y = x^2e^(-x^2) from x = 0 to infinity. This area is bounded by the x-axis and the curve and can be approximated by dividing the area into small rectangles and summing their areas.

5. What are some real-life applications of the integral of x^2e^(-x^2)?

The integral of x^2e^(-x^2) has various real-life applications, such as in physics, to calculate the electric field produced by a charged ring, or in statistics, to calculate the probability of a random variable following a normal distribution. It is also used in engineering and economics for modeling and analyzing various systems and processes.