Calculating Transmissivity and Reflectivity Coefficients of a Potential

In summary, the problem involves finding the transmitivity and reflectivity coefficients for a staircase-shaped potential with fixed length regions of a, except for the first and last regions which go off to infinity. The potential can be approximated as a harmonic oscillator, but we need to keep in mind that it is negative for all values of n. The coefficients can be found by solving the Schrödinger equation or using the transfer matrix method. It is important to consider the physical interpretation of the coefficients and ensure they make sense in the context of the potential.
bspoka
Hey people,

So I have a problem where i have to find the transmitivity and reflectivity coefficients of a potential:

V=-(n^2-1)E where (E is positive, constant and is the energy of the particle) Note: V IS NEGATIVE
for n=1,2,...N.

For each "n" the region is of fixed length "a" except first and last one which go off to infinities.

I was thinking of approximating the staircase of the potential as a harmonic oscillator given N is large but i don't really know how that problem should be solved, it's definitely not easier :)
i.e. V=0 for x<0
=1/2m(w^2)(x^2) for 0<x<Na
=(N^2-1)E for x>0

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. I understand the importance of finding the correct coefficients for a potential. Let's break down the problem and see if we can come up with a solution together.

Firstly, let's define the transmitivity and reflectivity coefficients. The transmitivity coefficient, denoted as T, is the ratio of the transmitted wave to the incident wave. In other words, it tells us how much of the wave is able to pass through the potential. The reflectivity coefficient, denoted as R, is the ratio of the reflected wave to the incident wave. This tells us how much of the wave is reflected back.

In order to find these coefficients, we need to understand the behavior of the wave as it encounters the potential. As you mentioned, the potential has a staircase shape with fixed length regions of a, except for the first and last regions which go off to infinity. This can be approximated as a harmonic oscillator, but we need to keep in mind that the potential is negative for all values of n.

To solve this problem, we can use the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of a quantum particle in a potential. We can solve this equation for each region (x<0, 0<x<Na, x>Na) and then match the solutions at the boundaries to find the coefficients. This approach will give us a set of equations that we can solve for T and R.

Another approach could be to use the transfer matrix method, which is a powerful tool for solving problems involving potentials. This method involves breaking down the potential into smaller regions and using matrix operations to find the coefficients. However, this method may be more complex for your specific potential, so I would recommend starting with the Schrödinger equation approach first.

I hope this helps get you started on solving your problem. Remember to always consider the physical interpretation of the coefficients and make sure they make sense in the context of your potential. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of calculating transmissivity and reflectivity coefficients of a potential?

The purpose of calculating transmissivity and reflectivity coefficients is to understand how a material or surface interacts with electromagnetic radiation. These coefficients indicate the amount of energy that is transmitted or reflected by a material, which can have important implications for various applications such as solar energy, optics, and electronics.

2. How are transmissivity and reflectivity coefficients calculated?

Transmissivity and reflectivity coefficients are calculated using the Fresnel equations, which describe the behavior of light waves at the interface between two materials with different refractive indices. These equations take into account the angle of incidence, polarization of the incident light, and the refractive indices of the two materials.

3. What factors can affect the transmissivity and reflectivity coefficients?

The transmissivity and reflectivity coefficients are affected by the properties of the materials involved, such as their refractive indices and thickness. The angle of incidence and polarization of the incident light also play a role in determining these coefficients. Additionally, the wavelength of the incident light can also impact the transmissivity and reflectivity coefficients.

4. Why is it important to accurately calculate transmissivity and reflectivity coefficients?

Accurately calculating these coefficients is important because they provide valuable information about the behavior of light at material interfaces. This information can be used to design and optimize various optical devices and systems, such as solar panels, lenses, and mirrors. Additionally, understanding these coefficients can help in predicting the performance of these devices under different conditions.

5. Can transmissivity and reflectivity coefficients be measured experimentally?

Yes, transmissivity and reflectivity coefficients can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as spectrophotometry, ellipsometry, and reflectometry. These methods involve measuring the intensity of incident and transmitted or reflected light at different angles and wavelengths and then using mathematical models to calculate the coefficients. However, these techniques can be complex and require specialized equipment, so theoretical calculations are often used instead.