Standard gravitational parameter

In summary, the standard gravitational parameter of an object (G*M) is more accurately known than the gravitational constant (G) due to the difficulty in separating G from G*M. This is because G*M can be measured through observations of other objects' orbits, while G can only be measured with a complex experiment. However, this also means that the exact mass of the Earth is not precisely known due to the uncertainty in G. Remote sensing projects can provide some insight into the Earth's dimensions and composition, but these observations are only sensitive to G*Me and not the Earth's mass alone.
Sanjay87
Hi,

Is it true that the standard gravitational parameter of an object (G*M) is more accurately known than the the gravitational constant (G)? If so, why? Any references would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
San

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, its true. We can measure the standard gravitational parameter of some object by observing other objects orbits about the object in question. With hundreds of years of observing planets in orbit about the Sun, we have the standard gravitational parameter for the Sun nailed down extremely well (11 significant digits). We know the standard gravitational parameter for the Earth to 9 or 10 significant digits. While we can measure G*M very precisely, untangling G (or M) from G*M is a much harder task. We only know G to 4 or 5 significant digits.

i think what this also means (and i don't know which is cause and effect) is that we don't know the mass of the Earth precisely. i know it's true that G*M is known to 10 digits and that G only to 5 (by measurement with a Cavendish-like experiment) but i find it unexpected that knowing the dimensions and composition of the Earth well, of the mutual orbit of these (unequal) twin planets around their common center of gravity, that with years of astronomical observation of the Moon, that we wouldn't have gotten that more precisely.

Why do you think we know the composition of the Earth well? (Better than 10 parts per million, which is what 5 digits of accuracy means) Most of it is underground. :)

rbj said:
i think what this also means (and i don't know which is cause and effect) is that we don't know the mass of the Earth precisely.
That is exactly right. The uncertainty in the Earth's mass is for, all practical purposes, entirely due to the uncertainty in G.
but i find it unexpected that knowing the dimensions and composition of the Earth well
Vanadium 50 already asked the key question here. Piling on, one of the key sources of insight into the dimensions and composition of the Earth comes from remote sensing projects such as http://grace.jpl.nasa.gov/" . The problem here is that these remote sensing experiments are sensitive only to the product G*Me.
... of the mutual orbit of these (unequal) twin planets around their common center of gravity, that with years of astronomical observation of the Moon, that we wouldn't have gotten that more precisely.
What these observations give us insight into is the Earth's standard gravitational parameter, the Earth/Moon mass ratio, and the Sun/(Earth+Moon) mass ratio. They do not give direct insight to the Earth's mass unencumbered with G.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the standard gravitational parameter?

The standard gravitational parameter, denoted as μ, is a constant that describes the gravitational field of a celestial body. It is the product of the gravitational constant, G, and the mass of the celestial body, M.

Why is the standard gravitational parameter important?

The standard gravitational parameter is important because it allows scientists to calculate the trajectories of objects in orbit around a celestial body, such as planets, moons, or artificial satellites. It is also used in the field of astrodynamics to calculate the energy required for a spacecraft to enter or exit orbit.

How is the standard gravitational parameter calculated?

The standard gravitational parameter is calculated by multiplying the gravitational constant, G, by the mass of the celestial body, M. The value of G is a fundamental constant of nature and is known to a high degree of precision. The mass of the celestial body can be determined through various measurements or calculations.

What are some common units for the standard gravitational parameter?

The standard gravitational parameter can be expressed in various units, depending on the system of measurement used. Some common units include meters cubed per second squared (m^3/s^2), kilometers cubed per second squared (km^3/s^2), and astronomical units cubed per day squared (au^3/d^2). These units can be converted to each other using appropriate conversion factors.

Is the standard gravitational parameter the same for all celestial bodies?

No, the standard gravitational parameter varies depending on the mass of the celestial body. For example, the standard gravitational parameter for Earth is different from that of the Moon or Mars. It also varies for different points on the same celestial body, such as the equator or the poles.