Deriving displacement, velocity and acceleration projecticle motion

In summary, we derived equations for the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object of mass M, projected into the air with an initial vertical component of velocity Vo, with air resistance being proportional to the instantaneous velocity with constant of proportionality K, as functions of time. Using traditional techniques, we obtained the following equations: Velocity: v = (v0 + mg/k)e^(-kt/m) - mg/k Displacement: s = (-m/k)(v0 + mg/k)(e^(-kt/m) - 1) + (v0 - mg/k)t Acceleration: a = (-mg - kv)/m
TheYoungFella
1. An object of mass, M, is projected into the air with an initial vertical component of velocity, Vo. If the air resistance is proportional to the instantaneous velocity, with the constant of proportionality being, K, derive the equations for the displacement, velocity and acceleration as functions of time.

appologies for the way this is wrote if anyone has a better way of notating this it would be much appreciated.

my work
m dv/dt=(-mg-kv)

so first I got my V's on one side and my T's on the other

mdv/(mg+kv)=-dt then added the integral sign to this equation and integrated it too get

m/k ln(mg+kv)=-t+c

next I tidied it up

mg+kv=e^-((k/m)*t)+c that goop in the middle is meant to be exp to the power of what's in the brackets

mg+kv=ce^-((k/m)*t) movin the c for more tidiness

now I tried to get V on its own

V=ce^-((k/m)*t)-mg/k

sub in t=0 and V=Vo

Vo=C-mg/k therefore c is

C=Vo + mg/k

subbing back into my previous I got

v=(Vo + mg/k)e^-((k/m)*t)-mg/k that is my velocity part right

thats pretty much it for me any help would be appreciated for displacement and acceleration[/b]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheYoungFella said:
1. An object of mass, M, is projected into the air with an initial vertical component of velocity, Vo. If the air resistance is proportional to the instantaneous velocity, with the constant of proportionality being, K, derive the equations for the displacement, velocity and acceleration as functions of time.

appologies for the way this is wrote if anyone has a better way of notating this it would be much appreciated.

my work
m dv/dt=(-mg-kv)

so first I got my V's on one side and my T's on the other

mdv/(mg+kv)=-dt then added the integral sign to this equation and integrated it too get

m/k ln(mg+kv)=-t+c

next I tidied it up

mg+kv=e^-((k/m)*t)+c that goop in the middle is meant to be exp to the power of what's in the brackets

mg+kv=ce^-((k/m)*t) movin the c for more tidiness

now I tried to get V on its own

V=ce^-((k/m)*t)-mg/k

sub in t=0 and V=Vo

Vo=C-mg/k therefore c is

C=Vo + mg/k

subbing back into my previous I got

v=(Vo + mg/k)e^-((k/m)*t)-mg/k that is my velocity part right

thats pretty much it for me any help would be appreciated for displacement and acceleration[/b]

I'm not tracking this part:

m/k ln(mg+kv)=-t+c

Integrated with respect to what? You have a differential equation... what method are you trying to use to solve this DiffEq?

Sorry I just took that part from my notes I just have first

mdv/(mg+kv)=-dt

then adding the intergration symbol

integrate mdv/(mg+kv)= integrate -dt

So I am quessing it's with respect to time as its to be as a function of time I really have only a vague idea what's going on here.

I believe its a separable equation yes no

Last edited:
TheYoungFella said:
Sorry I just took that part from my notes I just have first

mdv/(mg+kv)=-dt

then adding the intergration symbol

integrate mdv/(mg+kv)= integrate -dt

So I am quessing it's with respect to time as its to be as a function of time I really have only a vague idea what's going on here.

Ah, confusing lecture notes, eh? Okay, writing your original post's first equation in the traditional form for inhomogeneous differential equations:

[tex]m\frac{dv(t)}{dt} + kv(t) + mg = 0[/tex]

You can then solve it using the traditional techniques discussed here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Math/deinhom.html

Hope that helps.

[tex]\frac{mdv}{mg+kv}=-dt[\tex]

[tex]\int\frac{mdv}{mg+kv}=\int-dt[\tex]

[tex]\frac{m}{k}\ln{mg+kv}=-t+c[\tex]

[tex]mg+kv=\exp^\frac{-k}{m}t+c[\tex]

ah I can't for the life od me figure this fancy way of displaying the functions like you would on paper so I will gracefully withdraw.

TheYoungFella said:
ah I can't for the life od me figure this fancy way of displaying the functions like you would on paper so I will gracefully withdraw.

Use a forward slash in the [noparse][/tex][/noparse] tag:

[tex]\frac{mdv}{mg+kv}=-dt[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{mdv}{mg+kv}=\int-dt[/tex]

[tex]\frac{m}{k}\ln{mg+kv}=-t+c[/tex]

[tex]mg+kv=\exp^\frac{-k}{m}t+c[/tex]

Redbelly98 said:
Use a forward slash in the [noparse][/tex][/noparse] tag:

[tex]mg+kv=\exp^\frac{-k}{m}t+c[/tex]

Thanks for the tip man

[tex]F=ma[/tex]

[tex]F=ma=(-mg-kv)[/tex]

[tex]a=\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{mdv}{dt}=(-mg-kv)[/tex]

[tex]mg+kv=\exp^\frac{-k t}{m}+c[/tex]

[tex]v=C\exp^\frac{-k t}{m}-\frac{mg}{k}[/tex]

[tex]v=v0[/tex] [tex]t=0[/tex]

[tex]v0=C\exp^\frac{-k}t{m}-\frac{mg}{k}[/tex]

[tex]v0=C\exp^0-\frac{mg}{k}[/tex]

[tex]c=v0-\frac{mg}{k}[/tex]

[tex]V=(v0-\frac{mg}{k})\exp^\frac{-k (0)}{m}-\frac{mg}{k}[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex]F=ma[/tex]

[tex]F=ma=(-mg-kv)[/tex]

[tex]a=\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{mdv}{dt}=(-mg-kv)[/tex]

[tex]mg+kv=\exp^\frac{-kt}{m}+c[/tex]

[tex]v=C\exp^\frac{-kt}{m}-\frac{mg}{k}[/tex]

[tex]v=v0[/tex]
[tex]t=0[/tex]

[tex]v0=C\exp^\frac{-k(0)}{m}-\frac{mg}{k}[/tex]

[tex]v0=C\exp^0-\frac{mg}{k}[/tex]

[tex]c=v0+\frac{mg}{k}[/tex]

[tex]V=(v0+\frac{mg}{k})\exp^\frac{-k t}{m}-\frac{mg}{k}[/tex] Velocity

displacement is [tex]s=\int vdt[/tex]

[tex]s=\int(v0+\frac{mg}{k})\exp^\frac{-k t}{m}-\frac{mg}{k}dt[/tex]

[tex]s=\frac{-m}{k}(v0+\frac{mg}{k})\exp^\frac{-k t}{m}-\frac{mg}{k}t-c[/tex]

[tex]s=0[/tex]
[tex]t=0[/tex]

[tex]0=\frac{-m}{k}(v0+\frac{mg}{k})\exp^\frac{-k (0)}{m}-\frac{mg}{k}(0)+c[/tex]

[tex]0=\frac{-m}{k}(v0+\frac{mg}{k})\exp^0-0+c[/tex]

[tex]0=\frac{-m}{k}(v0+\frac{mg}{k})1+c[/tex]

[tex]c=\frac{m}{k}(v0+\frac{mg}{k})[/tex]

[tex]s=\frac{-m}{k}(v0+\frac{mg}{k})\exp^\frac{-k t}{m}-\frac{mg}{k}t+\frac{m}{k}(v0-\frac{mg}{k})[/tex]

[tex]s=\frac{-m}{k}(v0+\frac{mg}{k})(1-\exp^\frac{-k t}{m}-\frac{mg}{k}t[/tex] Displacement

Last edited:

1. What is projectile motion and how is it related to displacement, velocity, and acceleration?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air that is affected by gravity. It is related to displacement, velocity, and acceleration because these are all measurements that describe the motion of a projectile.

2. How do you calculate displacement in projectile motion?

To calculate displacement in projectile motion, you need to know the initial velocity, the angle at which the object is launched, and the time it takes to reach its destination. Using these values, you can use the formula d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is displacement, v0 is initial velocity, a is acceleration due to gravity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity gives a general overview of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity gives a more detailed view at a specific point in time.

4. How does acceleration affect projectile motion?

Acceleration due to gravity is a constant force that affects all objects in projectile motion. It causes the object to accelerate downward, changing its velocity and thus its displacement. Without acceleration, an object would move at a constant speed in a straight line.

5. Why is it important to understand projectile motion in scientific research?

Projectile motion is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to explain many real-world phenomena, such as the trajectory of a ball thrown in the air or the motion of a rocket. Understanding how to calculate displacement, velocity, and acceleration in projectile motion allows scientists to make accurate predictions and design experiments to test their hypotheses.