How atheistic are you? How many gods do you NOT believe in?

• Thread starter FlexGunship
  • Start date
In summary: No.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of religious beliefs and how they are often used to rate individuals. A poll is introduced regarding the number of gods one does not believe in, with a specific range given for various levels of belief. The conversation also touches on the idea of monotheism and polytheism within Christianity and the potential for a "NA" option in the poll. The conversation ends with a humorous twist about becoming a politician.

How many gods do you NOT believe in?

Votes: 21 60.0%

Votes: 3 8.6%

Votes: 3 8.6%

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters
Lacy33 said:
Love and laughter= light release.

Just a light release? Well, let me know when you're ready for the whole thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
FlexGunship said:
Just a light release? Well, let me know when you're ready for the whole thing.

Oh man... now the phrase, "full release" is just rattling around my head like a penny in duct-work! Pure evil man...puuuure evil. Now it's Rick Astley singing full release. Great... I'm going to have some really weird dreams now. :tongue:

Thank you for not having made me a man! Thank you for not having made me a slave!
Signed,
Freedom!~

Lacy33 said:
Thank you for not having made me a man! Thank you for not having made me a slave!
Signed,
Freedom!~

Oh, come on now, really?! OK, we're not always the brightest or cleanest creatures, but thank god?! :cry:

*talks to groin* "It's OK lads, she didn't mean a word of it, stop crying!"

:rofl:

Oh, I am going to the bad place, whatever and wherever that is...note: Not having made me a slave? Is that a traditional ending to prayer or are you intimating about just which organs are in charge of guys? In case you're wondering the organ is:...
... The Phneebenhompherfrackabrack! It's a little-known organ first isolated by Mary Poppins and the Marx Brothers.

Last edited:
nismaratwork said:
Oh, come on now, really?! OK, we're not always the brightest or cleanest creatures, but thank god?! :cry:

Oh, I am going to the bad place, whatever and wherever that is...

note: Not having made me a slave? Is that a traditional ending to prayer or are you intimating about just which organs are in charge of guys? In case you're wondering the organ is:...

... The Phneebenhompherfrackabrack! It's a little-known organ first isolated by Mary Poppins and the Marx Brothers.

The answer is Both. Thank you for asking.

Well indeed very small but well known ... to some.

To the OP, I think you might consider adding "how many do you not believe in but fear going to some place, whatever and where ever that may NOT be... :biggrin:

Why ever would Mary Poppins feel a need to isolate Phnee ben hompher frackabrack? Was he not behaving?

Oh Dear! :blushing:

How many little lads do you have staying with you? Poor Dear. :redface:

Lacy33 said:
To the OP, I think you might consider adding "how many do you not believe in but fear going to some place, whatever and where ever that may NOT be... :biggrin:

Ah, the converse of Pascal's wager? Or is it inverse? You've asked that question in a profoundly confusing way.

Lacy33 said:
The answer is Both. Thank you for asking.

Well indeed very small but well known ... to some.

Why ever would Mary Poppins feel a need to isolate Phnee ben hompher frackabrack? Was he not behaving?

Oh Dear! :blushing:

How many little lads do you have staying with you? Poor Dear. :redface:

Hmmm, if you mean do we fear going to, "the bad place"... probably not... if you mean a fear of possible extinction, I think the universal answer would be yes.

Oh, and Phnee would have to be one unlucky guy to be the son of Hompher! Kids can be cruel, but I think that's a name-set that would really haunt a kid.

Flex: It's a decent wager, but it's not called a wager for nothing. Personally, I decline, but I know some atheists so superstitious that it may as well be religious sans organization.

FlexGunship said:
"hey, I just invented this god--"

Not so fast my dear lad. All new inventions must be approved by the Supernatural Patent Office. My client has since the beginning of time been in office as the head clerk.

In case your invention is not sufficiently incompatible with the other 2870, and thus capable of creating a great deal of pandemonium, it will not be accepted. End of story.

If you do not get the point – we have all the papers ready for a comprehensive lawsuit, thank god.

fwmv76.png

So many Lads, so little time.
:rofl: :devil: :rofl:...

What about the Great Green Arkleseizure? or Almighty Bob?

:bugeye:
So if I only believe in one God, then I don't believe in zero gods, right? This is a similar type of poll used in politics. Confusing enough to get the desired result by the pollster.

drankin said:
:bugeye:
So if I only believe in one God, then I don't believe in zero gods, right? This is a similar type of poll used in politics. Confusing enough to get the desired result by the pollster.
If there are 2,870 gods and you only believe in one then you don't believe in 2,869. That would be your choice.

Evo said:
If there are 2,870 gods and you only believe in one then you don't believe in 2,869. That would be your choice.

But not 0 could mean 1 as well. And who counts these things anyway?? Poor guy.

Lacy33 said:
So many Lads, so little time.
:rofl: :devil: :rofl:...

Yup. The only reason for time is so that every lad doesn't happen ... at once ...
Chicken soup? Yes please!

drankin said:
But not 0 could mean 1 as well. And who counts these things anyway?? Poor guy.
No he explains it in the OP. Choosing zero means that means that you believe in all gods because the number of gods that you "don't believe" in are zero. In other words, out of 2,870, you choose to disbelieve none, which means you believe in all.

drankin said:
But not 0 could mean 1 as well. And who counts these things anyway??

I think the Indian scholar Pingala counts all the 0 and 1, but it’s a mess, because 10 means you’re something between a monotheist and polytheist...

DevilsAvocado said:
I think the Indian scholar Pingala counts all the 0 and 1, but it’s a mess, because 10 means you’re something between a monotheist and polytheist...

A monolatrist?

So how exactly would an agnostic fit into your scheme?

nismaratwork said:
Flex: It's a decent wager, but it's not called a wager for nothing. Personally, I decline, but I know some atheists so superstitious that it may as well be religious sans organization.

It's really not a decent wager. It's an intellectual-coward's wager. Pascal's wager is a thinly veiled threat not different from the threat Catholic priests would hurl at my every Sunday until I was 18.

Evo said:
No he explains it in the OP.

I thought I actually did pretty well with the explanation. Sheesh. Sorry, everyone.

Norman said:
So how exactly would an agnostic fit into your scheme?

Uh, I guess I don't know. Agnostic seems a little silly at this point, doesn't it? I mean, what data are you realistically waiting for? A few more miracles?

Sorry... that sounded rude. I didn't mean it like that... bad night, everyone.

FlexGunship said:
not different from the threat Catholic priests would hurl at my every Sunday until I was 18.

So it isn't just me! I can understand their position. :rofl:

:biggrin:

It's really not a decent wager. It's an intellectual-coward's wager. Pascal's wager is a thinly veiled threat

A threat, but not veiled.

What is "thinly-veiled" here is a dig at people of faith. We're pushing hard against the religious discussion guidelines.

<h2>1. How do you define atheism?</h2><p>Atheism is the lack of belief in any gods or deities. It is not a belief system or a religion, but rather a stance on the existence of a higher power.</p><h2>2. Are all atheists the same?</h2><p>No, atheists may have different beliefs and opinions on various topics, just like any other group of people. The only common factor among atheists is the lack of belief in a god or gods.</p><h2>3. Do atheists believe in anything?</h2><p>Atheism only pertains to the belief in a higher power or god. Atheists may still have beliefs in other aspects of life, such as morality, science, and human relationships.</p><h2>4. How many gods do atheists not believe in?</h2><p>Atheists do not believe in any gods or deities. This could include the monotheistic God of Christianity, the multiple gods of Hinduism, or any other deity worshipped by different religions.</p><h2>5. Can atheists still have morals without belief in a god?</h2><p>Yes, atheists can have morals and values without belief in a god. Morality is not exclusive to religion and can be based on empathy, reason, and societal norms.</p>

1. How do you define atheism?

Atheism is the lack of belief in any gods or deities. It is not a belief system or a religion, but rather a stance on the existence of a higher power.

2. Are all atheists the same?

No, atheists may have different beliefs and opinions on various topics, just like any other group of people. The only common factor among atheists is the lack of belief in a god or gods.

3. Do atheists believe in anything?

Atheism only pertains to the belief in a higher power or god. Atheists may still have beliefs in other aspects of life, such as morality, science, and human relationships.

4. How many gods do atheists not believe in?

Atheists do not believe in any gods or deities. This could include the monotheistic God of Christianity, the multiple gods of Hinduism, or any other deity worshipped by different religions.

5. Can atheists still have morals without belief in a god?

Yes, atheists can have morals and values without belief in a god. Morality is not exclusive to religion and can be based on empathy, reason, and societal norms.