Should resources be reallocated from retirees to those in greater need?

• News
  • Thread starter DoggerDan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of whether resources spent on retirees and their health care should be reallocated to those who are in greater need. The question of fairness is raised, with some arguing that promises made to retirees must be honored while others argue that it is not fair to make others pay for these obligations. The conversation also touches on the topic of Social Security and how it is funded, with some questioning whether it is ethical to make promises on behalf of future generations.
mheslep said:
You missed the point. The question is what is about what constitutes a live birth, and that definition varies by country.

Ah. I doubt it, the definition, really varies between the developed countries, but point taken.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/Publications/retiree_health_benefits.html

"Providing for health care is an important part of retirement. Some employees are fortunate: they belong to employer-provided health care plans that carry over to retirement.
However, an important question arises for employees and retirees: How secure are my health care benefits after retirement? Under what circumstances can the company reduce or terminate my health benefits?
Employees and retirees should know that private-sector employers are not required to promise retiree health benefits. Furthermore, when employers do offer retiree health benefits, nothing in federal law prevents them from cutting or eliminating those benefits--unless they have made a specific promise to maintain the benefits.
The key to understanding your retiree health benefits lies in the documents governing your plan.
Review Your Plan Documents
To understand the terms of employer-provided retiree health benefits, you should first review your plan documents.
The Summary Plan Description (SPD) is a summary of the terms of the plan. Employers are required to provide a copy to you within 90 days after you become a participant in the plan.
For retirees, the SPD that was in effect when you retired may be the controlling document. You should save a copy of it. You also should save any SPD changes affecting your benefits after you retire.
In addition, there may be formal written documents that outline how your health plan is operated. These may include a collective bargaining agreement or an insurance contract.
You Should Know-Coverage Can Change
If your employer has reserved the right in the SPD or controlling plan document to change the terms of the plan, you may lose coverage at any time during your retirement. If your employer made a clear promise that you will have specific health care benefits for a definite period of time or for life, and did not reserve the right to change the plan in any formal written plan document, you should be covered."

Last edited by a moderator:
WhoWee said:
White House officials defended the provision, saying it was a deliberate effort to eliminate what they said was an unusually generous tax loophole."[/I]

Hmm... So it's ok for the government to raise public debt by trillions, but it's not ok for corporations to use an intentionally-created tax break valued in the millions.

Apparently, it's also ok for the Obama administration to falsely slight those who created it by wrongly referring to it as a "loophole."

I agree with the points you make, WhoWee.

DoggerDan said:
Hmm... So it's ok for the government to raise public debt by trillions, but it's not ok for corporations to use an intentionally-created tax break valued in the millions.

Apparently, it's also ok for the Obama administration to falsely slight those who created it by wrongly referring to it as a "loophole."

I agree with the points you make, WhoWee.

I think calling this a "loophole" is very deceptive. Likewise, calling it a "tax break" implies the companies are receiving some type of benefit. This tax deduction is designed to account for payments made by the employer for the retiree benefits. If the companies have to pay taxes on the funds they've spent - they will stop paying. This (IMO) should be a legitimate business expense.