How does my special relativity simulator work?

In summary: It appears that you have written a relativistic simulator. The simulator is able to simulate relativistic motion of "bodies" and has some features that are not found in other simulators. The user interface is limited to a 2D plane, but the engine is fully 3D capable. The simulator is available as a source code and a Linux build. The simulator is cross-platform. The simulator is correct and accurate, but it would be helpful to get feedback from the physics forum.
markosr
Hello!

I have no formal relativistic education, however, I am plenty of an enthusiast. Finding relativity fascinating I decided to learn it the best way that I know of, that is - putting it into a computer program. So, I've written a special relativity simulator.

It doesn't show Doppler and headlight effects as some other fine simulators out there, but it can simulate relativistic motion of "bodies", their 3d models and has some features I haven't found elsewhere. It can show the scene as-observed (typical text-book view) or as-seen (with optical aberration). The camera is put outside of the current observer, which is rather unrealistic, but I find such 3rd person view to show with more clarity what is going on. The bodies can do accelerations, you can rewind the time and switch among observers on-the-fly (every body can be an observer). User interface is limited to 2D plane, but the engine is fully 3D capable. I've prepared several scripts/examples which you can try, such as the classical length contraction, time dilation, simultaneity, twin paradox, ladder and barn...

There are screens/video, a Linux build and source code available at http://thelarge.org . All the libraries used are cross-platform.

I though the physics forum would be the best place to kindly ask for some feedback. If anyone is interested, I'd appreciate any comments, especially on the correctness and accuracy of the simulation.

Cheers,
Marko

Physics news on Phys.org
The demo video looks cool, and it's great that this is open source. I assume you're familiar with the ANU videos.

Yes, I've seen those, also, they did Real Time Relativity, which is really nice :) . However, I believe RTR's world is pretty static, I wanted to do fully dynamic simulation, similar to Bullet or ODE (OpenDynamicsEngine), but relativistic. I wanted to be able to specify initial velocities and positions of the bodies, then have an update callback at each time-step to apply accelerations. The program keeps track of history/worldlines, so you can go back in time and switch observers. That way it is possible to, say, program a game or some other interactive dynamic simulation using special-relativistic physics.

1. What is a Special Relativity Simulator?

A Special Relativity Simulator is a computer program or app that allows users to visualize and understand the effects of Einstein's theory of special relativity. It simulates situations where objects move at high speeds, close to the speed of light, and shows how time, space, and mass change in these scenarios.

2. How does a Special Relativity Simulator work?

A Special Relativity Simulator uses mathematical equations and algorithms to calculate the effects of special relativity on objects in motion. It takes into account the speed of the objects, the observer's perspective, and the principles of special relativity to create visual representations of these effects.

3. What can I learn from using a Special Relativity Simulator?

Using a Special Relativity Simulator can help you understand the concepts and principles of special relativity in a visual and interactive way. You can learn about time dilation, length contraction, and the relativity of simultaneity, among other important concepts in physics.

4. Who can benefit from using a Special Relativity Simulator?

Anyone interested in learning about special relativity can benefit from using a Special Relativity Simulator. It is especially helpful for students studying physics, as well as scientists and researchers looking to explore and understand the implications of special relativity in their work.

5. Are there different types of Special Relativity Simulators?

Yes, there are various types of Special Relativity Simulators available. Some are simple visualizations, while others are more complex and allow users to input specific parameters and scenarios to simulate. There are also virtual reality simulations that provide a more immersive experience.