Trying to volunteer (BA physics)

In summary, you are a physics graduate who is looking for ways to stay in touch with the subject. You have found a website called Science Buddies, but you are not sure if there are any other opportunities. You might want to take an evening class to learn more about physics. Finally, you suggest setting up a group of physics forum users to meet and discuss the subject.
maybe
Hi guys,

I am a physics BA about to graduate, entering a job in a different field (finance). Physics/science will always stay close to my heart and I would like to find a way to stay in touch perhaps by doing some related volunteering while working.

I have searched google, found http://www.sciencebuddies.org/ but not much else.

I will be located in NYC. Conservatively, I could dedicate about 2 hours/week.
Online or offline.

Offline/local is better, but how would I go about searching for anything?

I guess my question is two fold - 1) any known opportunities? 2) any known resources/how to go about finding opportunities?

(Hope I posted in the right forum)

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Wanna volunteer to be my tutor for physics? :)

Why not hang out here two hours a week?

It seems that in most other cases (e.g. offline) you would build some at least weak form of a relationship and progress.

All great suggestions of course, my hope is for something more tangible, but please throw in whatever ideas everyone has.

Are you saying we don't have any relationship? Boo hoo :(

Why not take an evening class? Must be lots of options in NYC. You might find some general classes like "quantum physics for poets", or similar, where you could learn something new, and bring your expertise to the table and teach something as well...

Why not set up a tangible group of physics forum guys that can meetup once a week and jaw about physics?

mal4mac said:
Are you saying we don't have any relationship? Boo hoo :(

Why not take an evening class? Must be lots of options in NYC. You might find some general classes like "quantum physics for poets", or similar, where you could learn something new, and bring your expertise to the table and teach something as well...

Why not set up a tangible group of physics forum guys that can meetup once a week and jaw about physics?

haha I like it, thanks.

1. What are the requirements to volunteer with a BA in physics?

The requirements to volunteer with a BA in physics vary depending on the organization or program you are interested in volunteering with. Some may require a minimum GPA or specific coursework in physics, while others may have no academic requirements but may require certain skills or experience. It is best to research the specific organization or program you are interested in to determine their requirements.

2. What types of volunteer opportunities are available for those with a BA in physics?

There are a wide variety of volunteer opportunities available for those with a BA in physics. Some common options include volunteering at science museums, mentoring students in STEM fields, participating in citizen science projects, or volunteering with organizations that promote scientific literacy and education. You can also look for volunteer opportunities in fields related to physics such as engineering, technology, or research.

3. How can volunteering with a BA in physics benefit my career?

Volunteering with a BA in physics can provide many benefits for your career. It can help you gain practical experience in your field, develop new skills, network with professionals, and make a positive impact in your community. Volunteering can also demonstrate your passion and commitment to your field, which can be beneficial for job applications and interviews.

4. Are there any specific volunteer programs or organizations that are recommended for those with a BA in physics?

There are many organizations and programs that may be recommended for those with a BA in physics. Some popular options include the Society of Physics Students (SPS), the American Institute of Physics (AIP), and the American Physical Society (APS). These organizations often have volunteer opportunities available for their members and can provide valuable resources and networking opportunities for those interested in volunteering with a BA in physics.

5. How can I find volunteer opportunities with my BA in physics?

There are several ways to find volunteer opportunities with a BA in physics. You can start by researching organizations and programs in your local area or online that align with your interests and skills. You can also check with your university or college to see if they have any volunteer programs or partnerships with organizations. Additionally, networking with professionals in your field or joining professional organizations can help you discover volunteer opportunities.