Is Energy Conserved When an Object Approaches Light Speed?

• Thread starter ChrisPhy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of total energy in a system where an object with mass is accelerating towards another massive object. The understanding is that total energy remains constant as potential energy from the gravity well is lost and kinetic energy increases. However, in the general case, it is not always possible to define a total energy for the system that remains constant. The conversation also touches on the behavior of light in a gravitational field and how it can change its kinetic energy even though it cannot change its speed. The concept of potential energy for the whole system is also brought up and it is noted that it can be defined in a similar way as in classical physics.
ChrisPhy
Basic question I'm sure but...please help...

If there is an object of some mass accelerating toward some other massive object, I can see that total energy of system is same regardless of time as potential energy from gravity well is being lost as kinetic energy of object increases. It would appear that total energy in system is unchanged.

1) Am I correct in this understanding ?

2) If the object in question was say moving at the speed of light to start with, as the object gets closer to other massive object, isn't the gravity potential still being reduced over time ?

3) But object cannot gain any more kinetic energy (already at top speed) so I am thinking the total energy of this system is reducing as object gets closer to massive object ? But this cannot be the case...

I know I am missing a piece of the equation here, what is happening in this situation ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisPhy said:
If there is an object of some mass accelerating toward some other massive object, I can see that total energy of system is same regardless of time as potential energy from gravity well is being lost as kinetic energy of object increases. It would appear that total energy in system is unchanged.

1) Am I correct in this understanding ?

In this particular case, yes, you can view things this way. In the general case, it is not always possible to define a "total energy" for the system that remains constant. For example, there is no good way to define a "total energy" for the universe as a whole that works this way.

ChrisPhy said:
2) If the object in question was say moving at the speed of light to start with, as the object gets closer to other massive object, isn't the gravity potential still being reduced over time ?

A terminology note: the word "object" is normally not used to refer to light, or anything that moves with the speed of light. Particularly since you used the phrase "object of some mass", and objects with mass cannot move at the speed of light. So I'll interpret your question as asking what happens when light "falls" in the gravitational field of a massive object.

ChrisPhy said:
3) But object cannot gain any more kinetic energy (already at top speed) so I am thinking the total energy of this system is reducing as object gets closer to massive object ?

No, it still stays constant, because light can still change its kinetic energy even though it can't change its speed, and it does so when "falling" in a gravitational field. This is called "gravitational redshift" or "gravitational blueshift" depending on whether the light is rising (redshift) or falling (blueshift), and it has been observed experimentally:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound–Rebka_experiment

So you can view the light as gaining or losing kinetic energy to balance the change in its potential energy, the same as an object with mass does.

PeterDonis said:
In this particular case, yes, you can view things this way. In the general case, it is not always possible to define a "total energy" for the system that remains constant. For example, there is no good way to define a "total energy" for the universe as a whole that works this way.

A terminology note: the word "object" is normally not used to refer to light, or anything that moves with the speed of light. Particularly since you used the phrase "object of some mass", and objects with mass cannot move at the speed of light. So I'll interpret your question as asking what happens when light "falls" in the gravitational field of a massive object.

No, it still stays constant, because light can still change its kinetic energy even though it can't change its speed, and it does so when "falling" in a gravitational field. This is called "gravitational redshift" or "gravitational blueshift" depending on whether the light is rising (redshift) or falling (blueshift), and it has been observed experimentally:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound–Rebka_experiment

So you can view the light as gaining or losing kinetic energy to balance the change in its potential energy, the same as an object with mass does.

Thank you for reply. I think I understand. I didn't know that about objects with mass can not go to full C speed. Thanks...

Well, it probably is not appropriate to call electromagnetic energy "kinetic", but yes, it does change along with gravitational potential.
Also, I'd think potential energy for the whole system can be defined the same way as in classical physics, a sum of the potential energies between each pair of objects, as long as there are a finite number of objects... and from that total energy is also easy to define. Not sure why Peter thinks otherwise.

1) Yes, you are correct in your understanding that total energy in the system is conserved. This is known as the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In the case of an object accelerating towards a massive object, potential energy is being converted into kinetic energy, but the total energy in the system remains the same.

2) If the object is already moving at the speed of light, it cannot accelerate any further and therefore cannot gain any more kinetic energy. However, the potential energy from the gravitational well is still being converted into kinetic energy, even though the object is already moving at its maximum speed. This means that the object's kinetic energy is increasing, but its speed remains constant.

3) As mentioned before, the total energy in the system is conserved. So even though the object cannot gain any more kinetic energy, the potential energy is still being converted into kinetic energy, keeping the total energy in the system constant. This is why the object's speed remains constant even as it gets closer to the massive object.

In summary, the total energy in the system is conserved and is constantly being converted from potential energy to kinetic energy as the object accelerates towards the massive object. The object's speed may remain constant, but its kinetic energy is still increasing due to the conversion of potential energy.

1. Where does the energy go during a chemical reaction?

During a chemical reaction, the energy is converted from one form to another. Some of the energy may be released as heat or light, while some may be stored in the chemical bonds of the products. In some cases, the energy may be used to do work, such as moving objects or powering biological processes.

2. Where does the energy go when we exercise?

When we exercise, our bodies use energy from food to power our muscles. This energy is converted into mechanical energy, which enables our muscles to move. Some of the energy is also released as heat, which helps to regulate our body temperature.

3. Where does the energy go in a battery?

In a battery, the energy is stored in the form of chemical potential energy. When the battery is connected to a circuit, the chemical reactions inside the battery produce an electric current, which can be used to power devices.

4. Where does the energy go in a nuclear reaction?

In a nuclear reaction, the energy is released from the nucleus of an atom. This can happen through nuclear fusion, where two atomic nuclei combine to form a larger nucleus, or through nuclear fission, where a larger nucleus splits into smaller nuclei. The released energy is in the form of heat and radiation.

5. Where does the energy go in an ecosystem?

In an ecosystem, the energy flows from the sun to the organisms within it. Plants use the sun's energy to convert carbon dioxide and water into food through photosynthesis. This energy is then passed on to animals when they eat the plants. As organisms use this energy to power their life processes, some of it is released as heat back into the environment.