Understanding Eigenvalue Measurement in Quantum Systems

In summary, the problem was that the state lψ(t)> became in state la> after measuring A, but it was not supposed to because the operators acting on the state are not the same as the measurement with A.
M. next
when we have a certain state ψ(t)
and it is acted on by an operator A of eigenstates a, b, c and eigen vectors la>, lb>, lc>

does it mean that after measuring A ( if the result was 'a'), the state lψ(t)> becomes in state la>?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes.

i will tell you what was the problem, we were given a state lpsi> the question was: let us carry out a set of two measurements where B is measured first and then, immediately A is measured. Find the probability of obtaining a value of 0 for B and a value of 1 for A.

the first part was easy, i found the eigen pvalues of operator B and eigenstates.
and then the probability as they asked.
when i moved to the second part, they said exactly, in the solution:
we deal now with the measurement of the other observablr A. the observables A and B do not have common eigenstates. After measuring B ( the result is b=0) the system is left in a state lphi> which can be found by projecting lpsi> onto the eigenvector of b=0!
How come? isnot it supposed to be as u claimed in your answer that it be directly in the eigenstate of b=0?

you have talked about only one operator in op,The second one is different.

then? can you elaborate more? and what is it that is different?

M. next said:
when we have a certain state ψ(t)
and it is acted on by an operator A of eigenstates a, b, c and eigen vectors la>, lb>, lc>

does it mean that after measuring A ( if the result was 'a'), the state lψ(t)> becomes in state la>?

Not quite. An operator acting on a state like A|psi> is not the same as |psi> being measured with A. The first is just what it should be, an application of the linear operator on the state, without any projections or probabilities going on. The latter is the application of the measurement postulate that says measuring |psi> with A gives back an eigenvector |a> of A with the probability |<a|psi>|^2.

yes, but it is not the case. please read my second post,

M. next said:
i will tell you what was the problem, we were given a state lpsi> the question was: let us carry out a set of two measurements where B is measured first and then, immediately A is measured. Find the probability of obtaining a value of 0 for B and a value of 1 for A.

the first part was easy, i found the eigen pvalues of operator B and eigenstates.
and then the probability as they asked.
when i moved to the second part, they said exactly, in the solution:
we deal now with the measurement of the other observablr A. the observables A and B do not have common eigenstates. After measuring B ( the result is b=0) the system is left in a state lphi> which can be found by projecting lpsi> onto the eigenvector of b=0!
How come? isnot it supposed to be as u claimed in your answer that it be directly in the eigenstate of b=0?
No.I said that if eigen value find is a,and the ket corresponding to it is|A> THEN by projecting |∅> into that state i.e calculating.<A|∅>,One can write |∅> for that state.

Take a look at this: you start with a state [itex]|\Psi\rangle [/itex]. we can write out the operator [itex]\hat{B}[/itex] in terms of it's eigenstates
[tex]
\hat{B} = b'_{0} |b_0 \rangle\langle b_0| + b'_{1} |b_1\rangle \langle b_1| + ...
[/tex]
if we want to pull out an eigenvalue you can just hit this guy with any of the eigenstates we are interested in. Now, Dirac's number one rule: after measuring a system, it is left in an eigenstate of whatever was measured. So we measured the eigenvalue for, say, [itex]b'_0[/itex], so our system is in the state corresponding to that eigenvalue. So take the equation for [itex]\hat{B}[/itex] up above and hit it with [itex]|\Psi\rangle[/itex] on the right. Then [itex]|\langle b_0 |\Psi\rangle|^2[/itex] is the probability to get eigenvalue [itex]b'_0[/itex].

Now the system is in state [itex]|b_0\rangle[/itex], now write the operator [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] like before
[tex]
\hat{A}=a'_0 |a_0\rangle \langle a_0 |+ ...
[/tex]
so to compute [itex]\hat{A}|b_0\rangle[/itex] we just hit the above with the state [itex]|b_0\rangle [/itex] on the right. Then the probability for any of the n eigenvalues is [itex]| \langle a_n | b_0 \rangle |^2[/itex]. I hope this helps.

What is the measurement of an operator?

The measurement of an operator is a mathematical process used to determine the value of a physical quantity represented by the operator in a quantum system.

How is the measurement of an operator performed?

The measurement of an operator is performed by applying the operator to a quantum state and then obtaining a numerical value through a series of mathematical operations.

What is the significance of measurement of an operator in quantum mechanics?

The measurement of an operator is significant in quantum mechanics as it allows us to determine the state of a quantum system and make predictions about the behavior of particles in that system.

What are the different types of measurements in quantum mechanics?

There are two types of measurements in quantum mechanics: projective measurements and weak measurements. Projective measurements result in a definite value for the measured quantity, while weak measurements give a probability distribution of the possible values.

What is the role of uncertainty principle in the measurement of an operator?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact values of certain pairs of physical quantities simultaneously. In the measurement of an operator, the uncertainty principle plays a role in determining the precision and accuracy of the measured value.