Register to reply

Focus of a plane mirror

by Sam Morse
Tags: focus, mirror, plane
Share this thread:
Sam Morse
Jan13-13, 02:28 AM
P: 15
I read somewhere that the focus of a plane mirror is at infinity because rays after reflection from a plane mirror don't intersect anywhere. But why can't the focus be virtual as in case of concave mirror ?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
Vagn
Jan13-13, 02:52 AM
P: 292
Quote Quote by Sam Morse View Post
I read somewhere that the focus of a plane mirror is at infinity because rays after reflection from a plane mirror don't intersect anywhere. But why can't the focus be virtual as in case of concave mirror ?
When considering where the focal point is we use two parallel rays of light incident on the mirror, how will these two rays be reflected from a plane mirror?
Low-Q
Jan13-13, 06:00 AM
PF Gold
P: 244
Quote Quote by Sam Morse View Post
The two parallell rays of light we use to determine the focal distance will still be parallell and with the same distance from eachother at infinity.
Saying that the focal point is present at infinity is a nonsense paradox of the terminology infinity just as my above explanation. The focal point could likely be behind the mirror, saying that the two parallell rays would be separated infinitly from each other at infinity in front of the mirror.

Register to reply