Troubleshooting a Chaotic Circuit for Lab Testing

In summary, the conversation discusses the building of a circuit and the need to take it to a lab for testing. The individual is experiencing issues with the circuit not functioning properly and suspects it may be due to the frequency or a connection problem. They also mention the availability of cheap oscilloscopes and the importance of checking voltages and connections before leaving home. Finally, they discuss their plans to experiment with different combinations and values and the potential purchase of a higher quality oscillator.
Lasha
DSCN1544.jpg

windows screen capture
So I built this circuit(Chua's chaotic circuit) and I have to take it to the lab for plugging it to oscilloscope.I need to make sure it works, cause I won't have any time there to fix it or rebuild it.So when I i tested it with the multimeter,there was no voltage on the left side and there was a voltage of a constant value on capacitors(I checked the connections and everything is okay).So is this because of the frequency? Or am I doing something wrong?(Note:left side has to behave like an inductor)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Could you supply a circuit diagram?

Check all wiring. The power supply pins on the ICs should have the right voltages on them. These stay constant so they are a good starting point.

Likes 1 person
This is the schematic:
chuas_circuit_realized_labeled2_with_batteries.jpg

This is the function of a chua's diode, g(x)is resistance vs current:

chuas_diode_nonlinear_resistor_graph_nondimensional.jpg

This is the double scroll

analog_double_scroll_attractor.jpg
:

Yes, but shouldn't it oscillate?I highly doubt its a connection problem.

Last edited:
You can't tell if something is oscillating when you use a multimeter. You might get a reading on AC volts but these ranges are often pretty insensitive.

So, you may have to wait until you get an Oscilloscope connected to it.

Incidentally, you may be surprised how cheap oscilloscopes can get.

Digital oscilloscopes from China have entered the market and that leaves a lot of unused, perfectly OK analog oscilloscopes available.

There are also plenty of handheld oscilloscopes like this one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-ARM-NANO-DSO201-Digital-Storage-Oscilloscope-Handheld-Digital-Pocket-Sized-/221192769564?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item33801dd01c

I don't know if you would find $70 expensive or if the 1 MHz bandwidth would be a little too low in performance for you.

In the meantime, I would really check those voltages and connections. I don't trust breadboards, so the time to find any problems is before you leave home.

I saw a report that said those circuits were difficult to get going, so it will be interesting to see how you get on.

Last edited:
vk6kro said:
You can't tell if something is oscillating when you use a multimeter. You might get a reading on AC volts but these ranges are often pretty insensitive.

So, you may have to wait until you get an Oscilloscope connected to it.

Incidentally, you may be surprised how cheap oscilloscopes can get.

Digital oscilloscopes from China have entered the market and that leaves a lot of unused, perfectly OK analog oscilloscopes available.

There are also plenty of handheld oscilloscopes like this one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-ARM-NANO-DSO201-Digital-Storage-Oscilloscope-Handheld-Digital-Pocket-Sized-/221192769564?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item33801dd01c

I don't know if you would find $70 expensive or if the 1 MHz bandwidth would be a little too low in performance for you.

In the meantime, I would really check those voltages and connections. I don't trust breadboards, so the time to find any problems is before you leave home.

I saw a report that said those circuits were difficult to get going, so it will be interesting to see how you get on.

Thanks for the advice, I'll post an update on how it worked out.The reason I chose the breadboard
over a PCB, was that I'm planning on experimenting(different combinations and values of resistance and capacity)
As for the oscillator,I'm planning on buying the Sinometer ST16B 10MHz oscillator,cause price difference is only 100$,but quality looks a lot better.Only problem is that it says "X Y mode" does that mean that it can't graph in 3 dimensions?

You can't "graph in 3 dimensions" on any oscilloscope. Some scopes have a "Z" input channel that modulates the brightness of the trace as it is being drawn, but that's not the same as creating 3-D graphics.

1. What is a chaotic circuit?

A chaotic circuit is a type of electronic circuit that exhibits chaotic behavior. This means that the output of the circuit is highly sensitive to initial conditions, making it difficult to predict or control. Chaotic circuits are often used in systems such as chaos-based cryptography and random number generators.

2. What causes chaos in a circuit?

Chaos in a circuit is caused by the nonlinearity of its components. When the circuit is excited with a small input, the output may initially follow a predictable pattern. However, as the input increases, the output will eventually become chaotic due to the complex interactions between the components.

3. What are the applications of chaotic circuits?

Chaotic circuits have a wide range of applications in various fields such as communications, cryptography, and chaos theory research. They are used to generate random numbers for encryption, enhance security in communication systems, and study complex dynamical systems.

4. How can chaotic circuits be controlled?

Controlling a chaotic circuit can be challenging due to its unpredictable behavior. However, various techniques such as feedback control, parameter modulation, and synchronization have been used to control the dynamics of chaotic circuits. These techniques can be applied to specific applications to achieve the desired outcomes.

5. What are the advantages of using chaotic circuits?

One of the main advantages of using chaotic circuits is their robustness against external disturbances. They also have the potential to generate highly complex and random patterns, making them useful in applications such as secure communications and data encryption. Additionally, chaotic circuits can provide insights into the dynamics of nonlinear systems and contribute to the advancement of chaos theory.