Switch for AC signal

by EE4life
Tags: mosfet, switch
Share this thread:
EE4life
Apr10-14, 05:26 PM
P: 44
Hi all,

I would like to make a switch for an AC signal (on off ,ie, high impedance and low impedance). The switch should have less than 1 ohmn impedance. The signal can range from 1-100Khz and the signal will be 50Vrms.

I tried to use mosfets, but they do not block the signal completely, and I do not think they are meant to control AC signals like this.

Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Amazon worker piloted drone around Space Needle
Five next-generation technologies for positioning, navigation and timing
dlgoff
Apr10-14, 08:52 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,704
If you could live with with ~10 volts instead of 50 volts, I would recommend the CD4066BC Quad Bilateral Switch.
berkeman
Apr10-14, 11:31 PM
Mentor
P: 40,659
Quote Quote by EE4life View Post
Hi all,

I would like to make a switch for an AC signal (on off ,ie, high impedance and low impedance). The switch should have less than 1 ohmn impedance. The signal can range from 1-100Khz and the signal will be 50Vrms.

I tried to use mosfets, but they do not block the signal completely, and I do not think they are meant to control AC signals like this.

Thanks in advance.
You have probably considered simple relays -- could you say why you rejected them? Switching time, bounce, etc?

Baluncore
Apr11-14, 02:51 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 1,748
Switch for AC signal

There are many ways of doing it, but it will depend on the maximum signal current.
Are the signals in a coaxial cable or a twisted pair?

Often a T structure switch is used. Two series switches in the top of the T are used to block the signal while another switch in the stem of the T grounds the midpoint when the switch is off to greatly reduce feedthrough. Perhaps you can use that structure with mosfets.

Register to reply