Register to reply

Is this an SOS POLYNOMIAL?

by karate
Tags: polynomial
Share this thread:
karate
May23-14, 12:04 AM
P: 4
F = -0.2662*x^6 + 48.19*x^5 - 3424.2*x^4 + 121708*x^3 - 2*e^6*x^2 + 2*e^7*x - 6*e^7;
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
gopher_p
May23-14, 12:25 AM
P: 425
As mentioned in your other thread, ##\lim_{x\rightarrow\pm\infty}F(x)=-\infty##. So ##F## is sometimes (you could even say way more often than not) negative. Since a sum of squares is always nonnegative, your polynomial is not a sum of squares.
karate
May23-14, 12:31 AM
P: 4
thank you sir, so what do you think is this type of equation?

gopher_p
May23-14, 01:07 AM
P: 425
Is this an SOS POLYNOMIAL?

Quote Quote by karate View Post
thank you sir, so what do you think is this type of equation?
Well, first off the thing that (I think) you're asking me about is a function, not an equation. Secondly, I would characterize it as a polynomial of degree six.

Edit: I would also characterize this polynomial as apparently not being particularly well-suited for examination by analytic means.

Register to reply