Can an immersion heater reach 600 degrees Fahrenheit in a closed cylinder?

• Thread starter anolan23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heater
In summary, the air will reach 600 degrees Fahrenheit with the use of a 3500W immersion heater. Make sure the wiring is insulated and able to withstand high temperatures.
anolan23
I have a closed 4" diameter cylindrical vessel with Volume=400in^3 filled with air at room temperature. A 3500W immersion heater with Watt Density=23.9W/in^2 will be used to heat the air. Can the air get up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit? How can I find out what temperature the air will get to?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, and welcome to the Physics Forums. :smile:

You have a closed volume to which you are constantly adding heat energy? is there any way for heat to be lost from this system?

Well, heat can escape through the vessel walls. The vessel material is 316 stainless steel.

Emerson heaters are generally designed to work in water. You may burn out your heater if you try to use it in air.

Computing final temperature of anything is non trivial given complete information. You have not given near enough info to get even a good guess.

To estimate the rate of heat loss from the cylinder, you need to know the heat transfer coefficient on the outside of the cylinder, from the cylinder surface to the room air. This depends on the orientation of the cylinder and also on whether there are air currents in the room. You can do better if you insulate the cylinder.

Chet

From this video:

I was able to get a convection heat transfer coefficient of 15 W/m^2*K.

What can I do? I've attached a photo of some of my work.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 478
Last edited by a moderator:
I was told a watt density under 30W/in^2 shouldn't cause any problems with burnout

The equation to work with is:

hA(T-Tair)=Q

where h is the convective heat transfer coefficient, T is the final temperature, A is the surface area of the cylinder, Tair is the room air temperature, and Q is the rate of heating supplied by the immersion heater (W/sec). This doesn't say anything about how long it will take for the system to reach that temperature. Make sure everything is in consistent units.

Chet

This is Newton's Law of cooling...based on my work from my photo attachment is this the Qout?

Chestermiller said:
and Q is the rate of heating supplied by the immersion heater (W/sec).
Chet

Do you mean just Watts instead of W/sec? Units of Q are in Joules and then Qdot is J/sec

anolan23 said:
I was told a watt density under 30W/in^2 shouldn't cause any problems with burnout
If the heater is valuable, you might consider first testing it with reduced voltages to the heater element, afterwards inspecting for signs of heat intolerance. A VARIAC would be handy for this, but make sure you are not supplying reduced voltage to any control circuitry associated with the heater.

anolan23 said:
Do you mean just Watts instead of W/sec? Units of Q are in Joules and then Qdot is J/sec
Yes.:redface:

anolan23 said:
This is Newton's Law of cooling...based on my work from my photo attachment is this the Qout?
At steady state, the rate that the heater supplies heat is equal to the rate that heat is lost to the surrounding air.

Chet

I want to heat the air to 600F so there has to be some sort of energy accumulation. Wouldn't this mean the heat rate lost to air would be less than heat rate supplied by the heater? Therefore, not a steady state problem?

anolan23 said:
I want to heat the air to 600F so there has to be some sort of energy accumulation. Wouldn't this mean the heat rate lost to air would be less than heat rate supplied by the heater? Therefore, not a steady state problem?
Sure! But it does mean it will be a steady state once the contents reach 600F! :wink:

anolan23 said:
It depends. As the temperature rises, the rate of heat loss to the room increases until the system eventually reaches steady state. Do you want the 600F to be the final steady state temperature, or do you want to reach 600 F, and then have the possibility to get even higher if you continue supplying heat. The first thing to do is to see if the system can even reach 600F, or whether the steady state temperature would be below 600F, and you could never reach 600 F. So, the first thing to do is to determine what the steady state temperature would be.

Chet

Aha! thanks for all your help

Remember that the immersion heater in a water tank will,probably be sitting at a max of 180 F (ish), if the element is in air at greater temperatures the wiring will reach the same temperature as the element so make sure your insulation and fittings are good for high temperatures, and or provide a way of cooling your wiring. I suspect that the element will burn out well before you reach your required temperature, but it's probably a good idea to check the data sheets for max operating temp. Please have your electrical safety devices checked prior to running this, it might be a good idea to check the max working temp of any fixtures and fittings you are using. BTW what are you trying to make/demonstrate?

Thanks Jobrag for your input on keeping things working properly. We are seeing what temperatures our instruments can withstand if they were attached to a heated chamber.

My goal is to achieve a uniform temperature of 600F on the outside of the metal chamber. Instead of air as the medium being heated, we decided on using sand to achieve a process temperature of 600F. We used three thermocouples one near the top portion on the outside of the chamber, one in the middle, and one on the bottom. The top thermocouple was hooked up to a temperature control that was set to 600F.

The results were:
Top Thermocouple- 600F
Middle Thermocouple- 856F
Bottom Thermocouple- 497F

How can I make these temperatures more evenly distributed to 600F? What would you do?

Two smaller heaters in the chamber might come closer to giving a more even heat distribution. One nearer to the bottom.

Only one heater will be used

Dumb question, but is the cylinder upright or on its side

Upright. Not Dumb.

Can it be mounted horizontally?

No sir-E bob

1. Can an immersion heater reach 600 degrees Fahrenheit in a closed cylinder?

Yes, depending on the type and power of the immersion heater, it is possible for it to reach temperatures of 600 degrees Fahrenheit in a closed cylinder. However, this temperature may not be sustainable for a long period of time and can pose safety hazards.

2. What factors affect the ability of an immersion heater to reach 600 degrees Fahrenheit?

The main factors that affect the temperature that an immersion heater can reach in a closed cylinder include the power or wattage of the heater, the type of heating element used (e.g. ceramic, quartz, or metal), and the size and materials of the cylinder itself.

3. Is it safe to use an immersion heater in a closed cylinder at high temperatures?

While immersion heaters can reach high temperatures, it is important to use caution when using them in a closed cylinder. The high temperature and pressure can cause the cylinder to rupture or the heater to overheat, potentially causing burns or fire hazards. It is important to follow safety instructions and guidelines provided by the manufacturer.

4. How can I control the temperature of an immersion heater in a closed cylinder?

There are several ways to control the temperature of an immersion heater in a closed cylinder. One option is to use a thermostat that can be set to a specific temperature. Another method is to use a thermocouple to monitor and regulate the temperature. Some immersion heaters also come with built-in temperature control features.

5. Are there any alternative methods for heating a closed cylinder to 600 degrees Fahrenheit?

Yes, there are alternative methods for heating a closed cylinder to high temperatures. Some options include using a gas burner, an electric furnace, or an induction heater. These methods may be more suitable for reaching and sustaining high temperatures for longer periods of time, but they also come with their own safety precautions and limitations.