Find 1871 NY Literacy Census | Scott

• Thread starter scott_alexsk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Database
In summary, the 1871 NY Literacy Census was conducted to gather data on the literacy rates of New York residents and identify any disparities or gaps in education. The data was collected through surveys and interviews by census takers who went door-to-door. It includes information on age, gender, occupation, literacy level, country of birth, race, and native/foreign-born status. The data can be accessed through online databases and can be used by researchers to analyze literacy rates and trends, study the impact of education and socioeconomic factors, and gain insights into the demographics of New York residents during this time period.
scott_alexsk
Can anyone tell me where I might find the literacy censous for New York in 1871? I would appreciate anything.
-Scott

Physics news on Phys.org
I would goto the closest university library and ask a librarian for help. This is a pretty specific request.

Thanks,

I checked it at UH (University of Hawaii) and it turns out that around 60,000 about 1/3 of the voting population was illiterate. Another fact to support my paper. :smile:

-Scott

1. What is the purpose of the 1871 NY Literacy Census?

The 1871 NY Literacy Census was conducted in order to gather data on the literacy rates of New York residents during that time period. It aimed to provide insight into the state's education system and identify any gaps or disparities in literacy rates among different demographics.

2. How was the census data collected?

The census data was collected through surveys and interviews with individuals residing in New York in 1871. These surveys were conducted by census takers who went door-to-door in order to gather information directly from the residents.

3. What information does the census data contain?

The census data includes information on each individual's age, gender, occupation, and level of literacy. It also includes information on the individual's country of birth, race, and whether they were a native or foreign-born resident.

4. Where can I access the 1871 NY Literacy Census data?

The census data is available through various online databases and archives. Some websites may require a subscription or payment to access the data.

5. How can the census data be used by researchers?

The census data can be used by researchers to analyze literacy rates and trends in New York during the 1871 time period. It can also be used to study the impact of education and socioeconomic factors on literacy rates. Additionally, the data can provide valuable insights into the demographics and characteristics of New York residents during this time period.