Can a Periodic Function and Gamma Function Solve a Functional Equation?

In summary, the limit \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{x} \right) ^ x can be proven using the squeeze theorem and the definition of e as \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} \right) ^ n. The properties of ex can then be derived using its definition and the chain rule.
mathwonk said:
TD: I do like the approach via inverting integrals, as when generalized, it leads to the beautiful elliptic functions as inverses of the integral of 1/sqrt(1-x^4), and which are so important in algebraic geometry and number theory, e.g. in the proof of fermat's last theorem.
this approach aslso explains the trick of "separating variables" in solving d.e.'s.
i.e. by the inverse function theorem, if f' = P(x), then g'(x) = P(g(x)), where g is the inverse of f.
this is the whole basis for the so called separable variables technique, but i have never seen it so simply explained in any book. i noticed it myself this fall while teaching integral calculus and discussing exactly the "inverse of integrals" ideas we have been discussing.

We didn't really went any further than just defining the functions I described, as examples. We did see the inverse function theorem in the chapter before that, but we didn't prove it (it was said to be rather 'advanced' at that point). We used it though to prove the implicit function theorem (which was asked on the exam and I couldn't do it back then :blushing:)

Physics news on Phys.org
actually in one variable the inverse function theorem is quite easy, using only the intermediate value theorem (which tiself is deep of course, but usually assumed). you might try it.

in >1 varianble, the inverse function theorem is harder.

in my opinion learning from rudin is a bit masochistic, or sadistic, since the professor is calling the shots.

in general almost any book by simmons is readable, or apostol, or spivak, or courant, and if you are going to work that hard, why not go ahead and study dieudonne, and really learn the material deeply and learn much more too.

of course rudin also includes lebesgue integration theory.

what other real analysis books do people find readable, as alternatives to ("baby") rudin?

Apostol is cited alot, even as a secondary text (i.e. co-text) to Baby Rudin.

interesting since apostol is a freshman calc text and rudin is a senior junior analysis text. i agree, too, by the way and it went through ym mnid as i was writing my suggestions. apostol is outstanding, he gives a direct approach to constructing sin and cos as well which i have forgotten at the moment.

isnt that mathematical physics?

nope, isee that is a 90 year old classic of "modern" analysis, written just when rigor was coming into vogue in britain, and contemporary with hardy. probably a wonderful source.

heres a copy from abebooks for 20 bucks.

A Course of Modern Analysis. An introduction to the general theory of infinite processes and of analytic functions; with an account of the principal transcendental functions. American edition.
WHITTAKER, EDMUND TAYLOR, & WATSON, G. N.
Bookseller: J. Hawley Books
(Delanson, NY, U.S.A.) Price: US$*20.00
[Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$*3.00
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: New York: The Macmillan Company, 1944 (reprint of the fourth edition, of 1927). 608 pages, index of authors, and general index., 1944. Hard cover. Good; cover worn, previous owner's name and bookplate on front endpaper and name stamp on rear endpaper. Bookseller Inventory # 1036

Bummer, I had just ordered one from amazon for ~$50.

As for pedagogy: this conversation has reminded me of a prior interest, namely the presentation of the gamma and beta functions. In particular, how exactly one defined the gamma function, whether it be as an integral or infinite product (Euler or Weierstrass) and with what motivation this is done. I was working on a paper which begins by defining the gamma function via direct continuation of the factorial via finite products->limit of a product->infinite products->integrals. I had been rather dilligent to ensure that my presentation was novel. Do you have a favored presentation of this topic?

i am not too familiar with the gamma function, but emil artin has a famous shoirt book on the topic. as i recall from 30 years ago he characterizes it as something loike the unique log convex extension of the afctorial??

and i think he sues te integral, but not sure.

the ww book i listed above at 20 bucks was used.

I have said book by Artin, and the characterization of the gamma function he uses is known as the Bhor-Mollerup Theorem.

I'd say it depends on what properties of Gamma you are trying to emphasize. Euler's limit version of Gamma is probably the most natural to build up to if your goal was extending factorial.

Defining it as a function with poles at the non-negative integers (modulo some niceties) shows how it belongs in your stable of 'fundamental' meromorphic functions.

Defining it as an integral is probably the least motivated, except that this integral comes up in important places (e.g. zeta function) and it deserves to have a name of it's own. That it turns out to be an extension of factorial is kind of an unasked for byproduct with this view (same with the product over the poles). This has the bonus of being simple enough for a first year calculus student to understand, so it's natural to be the first one a student sees and I don't thnk this is a bad thing.

The Bohr-Mollerup characterization is one of those after the fact things that's hard to justify as a starting point, and you end up using one of the usual definitions to prove this unique function actually exists. How do you justify this log-convex condition as being a 'natural' one apart from the fact that it 'works'?

Well, if interpolation of the factorial is your only goal, then the functional equation [tex]f(n+1)=nf(n),\mbox{ for }n=1,2,3,\ldots[/tex] being satisfied would suffice; yet a solution to such is not unique, both the gamma function and the Barnes G-function are solutions to the above functional equation.

Here's one right on topic

A problem: From the following

i. [tex]\lim_{q\rightarrow\infty}\prod_{n=p}^{pq} \left(1+\frac{x}{n}\right)=p^{x},[/tex]

and

ii.[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left(1-\frac{t}{n}\right)^{n}=e^{-t},[/tex]

reason that

[tex]\int_{t=0}^{\infty}e^{-t}t^{x}dt=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{1\cdot 2\cdots n}{(1+x)(2+x)\cdots (n+x)}n^{x},[/tex]

where x is complex and not a negative integer.

I quoted this exercise from Introduction to the Theory of Analytic Functions by Harkness & Morley that I happed to have a single page of printed (pg. 208), (i) is the from a separate exercise listed immediately prior to the exercise at hand in which (ii) is a given.

Last edited:
benorin said:
Well, if interpolation of the factorial is your only goal, then the functional equation [tex]f(n+1)=nf(n),\mbox{ for }n=1,2,3,\ldots[/tex] being satisfied would suffice; yet a solution to such is not unique, both the gamma function and the Barnes G-function are solutions to the above functional equation.

Doesn't the Barnes function grow much faster and satisfy G(n+1)=Gamma(n)*G(n)? How can this possibly interpolate factorial? Barnes is the one with zeros of order of order |n| at negative integers n isn't it?

Of course there's lots of ways to extend factorial, you can always connect the dots. My point was if you were introducing gamma with this goal, then the limit definition would involve less "where on Earth did that come from". To me it requires the least motivation via hindsight.

My bad, bad memory that is: If u(x) is any function such that [tex]\forall x,u(x+1)=u(x)[/tex] (i.e. u is has a period of unity,) then [tex]u(x)\Gamma (x)[/tex] is a solution to said functional equation.

<h2>1. What is a periodic function?</h2><p>A periodic function is a mathematical function that repeats its values at regular intervals. This means that the function has a specific pattern that repeats itself over and over again.</p><h2>2. What is a gamma function?</h2><p>A gamma function is a mathematical function that extends the concept of factorial to complex and real numbers. It is denoted by the Greek letter gamma (Γ) and is defined as the integral of the exponential function.</p><h2>3. What is a functional equation?</h2><p>A functional equation is an equation in which the unknowns are functions rather than just numbers. These equations involve the relationship between a function and its input, rather than the specific values of the function at certain points.</p><h2>4. How can a periodic function and gamma function solve a functional equation?</h2><p>A periodic function and gamma function can solve a functional equation by satisfying the equation for all values of the input. These functions have specific properties that allow them to be used to solve certain types of functional equations.</p><h2>5. What are the applications of using a periodic function and gamma function to solve a functional equation?</h2><p>The applications of using a periodic function and gamma function to solve a functional equation include solving problems in physics, engineering, and economics. These functions can also be used to model real-world phenomena and make predictions about future behavior.</p>

1. What is a periodic function?

A periodic function is a mathematical function that repeats its values at regular intervals. This means that the function has a specific pattern that repeats itself over and over again.

2. What is a gamma function?

A gamma function is a mathematical function that extends the concept of factorial to complex and real numbers. It is denoted by the Greek letter gamma (Γ) and is defined as the integral of the exponential function.

3. What is a functional equation?

A functional equation is an equation in which the unknowns are functions rather than just numbers. These equations involve the relationship between a function and its input, rather than the specific values of the function at certain points.

4. How can a periodic function and gamma function solve a functional equation?

A periodic function and gamma function can solve a functional equation by satisfying the equation for all values of the input. These functions have specific properties that allow them to be used to solve certain types of functional equations.

5. What are the applications of using a periodic function and gamma function to solve a functional equation?

The applications of using a periodic function and gamma function to solve a functional equation include solving problems in physics, engineering, and economics. These functions can also be used to model real-world phenomena and make predictions about future behavior.