If I have Volts, and I need eV, how do I get that?

• Thread starter April30
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ev Volts
In summary, eV is a unit of energy that is equivalent to the amount of kinetic energy an electron would obtain when accelerated across one volt of potential difference. It is not converted to volts, but can be converted to joules. The work function of a metal can also be measured in eV, as well as the energy of a photon and the maximum kinetic energy of an electron in the photoelectric effect.
April30
If I have Volts, and I need eV, how do I get that?

Is eV (energy format) = V (voltage format), so that if I have a value given in volts, I know that it would be the same in eV units?

I know this is a dumb question, sorry guys...:blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
eV is a unit of energy. It is exactly the amount of kineitic energy that one electron would obtain if it accelerated across one volt of potential difference. You do not convert eV to volts. You convert eV to joules.

Since potential difference is defined as the energy per unit charge ratio you will get a unit of energy when you multiply a unit of charge times a unit of potential, hence "electron-Volt"; here the charge is the fundamental charge of the electron. A joule (unit of energy) is equivalent to a "coulomb-volt." Since 1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs is the charge of an electron, then 1eV = 1.602x10^-19 joules.

Thanks Chi,

yeah I suppose I will simply look at eV as the work function of a metal. i just had a mental block ;)

April30 said:
Thanks Chi,
yeah I suppose I will simply look at eV as the work function of a metal. i just had a mental block ;)
The work function of a metal is an amount of energy. Any amount of energy can be expressed in eV. When doing the photoelectric effect, the energy of the photon is also measured in eV, and the maximum KE of the electron is again measured in eV. Any of these amounts of energy could just as well be measured in joules, kilowatt-hours, ergs, or any other unit of energy. The eV just happens to be an appropriately small unit of energy.

1. What is the conversion factor between Volts and eV?

The conversion factor between Volts and eV is 1 Volt = 1 electron volt (eV).

2. How do I convert Volts to eV?

To convert Volts to eV, simply multiply the voltage value by the conversion factor of 1 eV per Volt. For example, if you have 10 Volts, the conversion would be: 10 V x 1 eV/V = 10 eV.

3. What is the relationship between Volts and eV?

Volts and eV are both units of energy, with Volts being the unit of electric potential or potential difference, and eV being the unit of energy for particles such as electrons and protons. Therefore, there is a direct relationship between the two units.

4. Can I convert eV to Volts?

Yes, you can convert eV to Volts by dividing the energy value in eV by the conversion factor of 1 eV per Volt. For example, if you have 20 eV, the conversion would be: 20 eV / 1 eV/V = 20 V.

5. Why do we use eV instead of Joules for energy in particle physics?

In particle physics, the energy of particles is often measured in electron volts (eV) because it is a more convenient and practical unit for these small energy values. Using Joules, which is a larger unit, would result in very small decimal numbers and make calculations more difficult. Additionally, eV is directly related to the charge of an electron, which is important in particle physics.