Average force and a ball of mass

In summary, the ball has a velocity of 12 m/s when it is thrown upward, and has a final velocity of -12 m/s before it returns to the hand. The change in momentum of the ball is -84 N*s. The implus calculated from the change in momentum is -84 N*s. The average force acting on the ball is -34 N.
RedBurns
Could someone help me out with this one, I can't seem to get on track here.

A ball of mass 3.5 kg is thrown upward. It leaves the thrower's hand with a velocity of 12 m/s. The ball is in the air for 2.4 seconds. Final velocity before the ball returns to the hand in -12 m/s. The change in momentum in the ball is -84 N*s. The implus calculated from the change in momentum is -84 N*s. How would I calculate the average force acting on the ball?

I though it should be -84/2.4 (change in momentum/change in time). -35 however is not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get that -84 N*s for change in momentum?

(-12*3.5)-(12*3.5)=-84 N*s

HINT:

[tex]\bar F = \frac { \int_{t}^{t + \Delta t} F dt}{\Delta t}[/tex]

and

[tex]F = \frac {dp}{dt}[/tex]

is that not the formula I used and got the incorrect answer

I though it should be -84/2.4 (change in momentum/change in time). -35 however is not correct.

Could you explain the other formula, I'm not sure what your trying to tell me. I'm not familiar with the squiggly symbol. It's whatever multiplied by the force multiplied by the change in time all divided by the change in time?

Last edited:
Are you sure you've copied the question correctly?

RedBurns said:
is that not the formula I used and got the incorrect answer

If the question is "What's the average force acting on the ball while its in the air?", then that answer is correct. (Realize that the only force acting on the ball, when in the air, is its weight.)

Or are they asking: "What's the average force that the thrower's hand exerts on the ball?" A different problem.

Why don't you transcribe the problem exactly as it was given to you.

1. A. A ball of mass 3.5 kg is thrown upward. It leaves the thrower's hand with a velocity of 12 m/s. The following questions refer to the motion after the ball leaves the thrower's hand. Assume that the upward direction is positive. Show all calculations.
a. How long does it take for the ball to return to the thrower's hand?

0=12+(-9.8)T
12=-9.8t
t=1.2
1.2*2= 2.4s

b. What is the final velocity of the ball just before it reaches the hand?

v=0+-9.8(1.2)
v=-12 m/s

c. What is the change in momentum of the ball?

(-12*3.5)-(12*3.5)=-84 N*s

d. What is the impulse calculated from the change in momentum?
-84/2.4=-35
-35*2.4=-84 N*s

e. What is the average force acting on the ball?

-34 is the correct answer...rounding error...I suppose that what I get for trying to work on homework at midnight...

Looks good to me. In the context of that problem, the "average force" means the average force on the ball while the ball is in flight, which equals mg, as you calculated.

(This isn't one of those computer graded exercises, is it? In that case be careful how you round off the answer and the sign of your answer. For example: While you correctly found the average force to be -35N, they may be looking for just the magnitude of the force, thus an answer of 35N.)

[Edit: Looks like you figured it out! :smile: ]

1. What is average force?

Average force is the measurement of the overall force acting on an object over a period of time. It is the force required to cause a change in the velocity of an object.

2. How is average force calculated?

Average force is calculated by dividing the total force acting on an object by the time it takes for the force to act. It can be expressed as the equation F = mΔv/Δt, where F is the average force, m is the mass of the object, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the relationship between average force and mass?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the average force acting on an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of an object increases, the average force required to cause a change in its velocity also increases.

4. How does average force affect the motion of a ball?

The average force acting on a ball can either accelerate or decelerate its motion, depending on the direction of the force. If the average force is in the same direction as the ball's motion, it will accelerate the ball. If the average force is in the opposite direction, it will decelerate the ball.

5. How does the mass of a ball affect the average force required to move it?

The mass of a ball directly affects the average force required to move it. A ball with a larger mass will require a greater average force to cause a change in its motion compared to a ball with a smaller mass. This is because the larger mass has a greater inertia, making it more resistant to changes in its motion.