Better for egg cooking? Asphalt Vs. Sewer cap

In summary, the best way to cook an egg on a hot day is to put it in the microwave on full power for five minutes.
tobydogg420
me and my friends are having an arguemnet. what is better for cooking an egg during the summer: on hot asphalt or on a sewer cap. EXAMPLE: you have a sewer cap and the surrounding asphalt. both have been sitting in the sun for the same amount of time. If you were to crack an egg on both, which would cook the egg faster? please help us end this horrific battle

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way to end your dispute, and probably the most fun, is to actually cook a few dozen eggs, and time how long it takes to cook on the different surfaces. :smile:

i need to know right now

How many asphalt skillets have you seen in kitchens? Give you a clue?

Bystander said:
How many asphalt skillets have you seen in kitchens? Give you a clue?

A very good clue indeed.

I have no idea what your dietary habits are, but I personally wouldn't eat anything that had been cooked on either one.

Metal conducts heat better than asphalt. However black asphalt will have a higher temperature than a lighter coloered sewer cap. It's a tough call. If the sewer cap were painted flat black, I'd bet on the sewer cap.

In the summer here in Siberia, the best place to cook eggs is inside the house.

Place your hand on each on a sunny day. If the sewer cap (we call it a manhole cover) doesn't feel hotter, I'll eat the egg.

Tobydogg: the best way to cook an egg is to stick it in the microwave on full power for five minutes.

:smile:

Five minutes?! Are you trying to make your own golf balls? I always do my eggs in the MW, and one minute gets them just right.

No, Danger. Five minutes at least. Full power.

:smile:

Fine, have it your way. Don't come crying to me when you break your teeth. :tongue:

Why don't you er, give it a whirl?

:rofl:

Because I don't like them all dried out (unless I'm making an egg salad sandwich). One minute makes them just like semi-hard poached--moist, but not running.

Well I guess that comment landed Tony in the can.

Now I know what it means when someone's name is crossed out.

Can't say as I'll miss him.

1. What is the difference between cooking eggs on asphalt and on a sewer cap?

The main difference between cooking eggs on asphalt and on a sewer cap is the material they are made of. Asphalt is a petroleum-based substance commonly used for roads and sidewalks, while a sewer cap is typically made of metal. This difference in material can affect the heat distribution and cooking time of the eggs.

2. Which surface is better for cooking eggs?

It ultimately depends on personal preference and the specific properties of the asphalt or sewer cap being used. However, in general, a metal sewer cap may provide more even heat distribution and a quicker cooking time compared to asphalt, which can vary in temperature and may take longer to cook the eggs.

3. Is it safe to cook eggs on a sewer cap?

In most cases, it is safe to cook eggs on a clean and properly maintained sewer cap. However, it is important to note that sewer caps may be exposed to various chemicals and bacteria, so it is important to thoroughly clean and disinfect the surface before using it to cook eggs.

4. Can cooking eggs on asphalt or a sewer cap affect the taste?

Yes, the material and condition of the surface can affect the taste of the eggs. Asphalt may impart a slightly different flavor compared to a metal sewer cap. Additionally, if the surface is not clean, it may transfer unwanted flavors to the eggs.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when cooking eggs on asphalt or a sewer cap?

Yes, the surrounding environment and temperature can also play a role in the cooking process. For example, cooking eggs on a hot, sunny day may result in faster cooking times and a different taste compared to cooking on a cooler day. It is important to monitor and adjust for these factors when cooking eggs on these surfaces.