Know Your English: Can "It's" Be Used to Signify Ownership?

• Thread starter Blahness
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary, the proper usage of "it's" is without an apostrophe, as the possessive form of "it". This rule should be followed even when used for the spin on a tennis ball or ping-pong ball. The word "English" should be capitalized when referring to the language or nationality, but may not be necessary when referring to the spin on a ball. Its origin is likely from the French word "anglé" meaning "angled".
Blahness
Okay, quick question.

Can the word "it's" be used to signify ownership?

e.g.

"To argue whether or not secularisation is occurring, or has occurred, in our society today one must first define religion itself, then define secularisation- how influential is it now, compared to that of the past, and finally define it's significance."

Would this be proper usage, or must it be used without an apostrophe despite signifying property or ownage?

Physics news on Phys.org
The way I learned is that the possessive form of it is "its" without an apostrophe, so that "it's" with an apostrophe is always it is.

J77 and d_leet are correct unequivocally.

It's a rule! Follow its dictates!

For completeness, "english" should be written with a capital letter.

brewnog said:
Even when used for the spin on a tennis ball or ping-pong ball?

berkeman said:
Even when used for the spin on a tennis ball or ping-pong ball?

Ooh interesting one. I suspect not, though I don't know the etymology of this use. Anyone?

brewnog said:
Ooh interesting one. I suspect not, though I don't know the etymology of this use. Anyone?

I had a look at the OED, doesn't which say much about its origin. It did give a second-hand (or more) apocryphal-sounding story about an English pool player named English coming to the U.S., with english being named after him.

I then found the website of the http://www.etymonline.com/index.php" [Broken], which states

English (2) (Look up English at Dictionary.com)
"spin imparted to a ball" (as in billiards), 1860, from Fr. anglé "angled," which is similar to Anglais "English."

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent! Thanks George, that's a much more rational explanation.

I don't know what the rule would be now regarding capitalisation; if the ambiguity is all in the French language, and your story is the truth, I don't see how you could get away without spelling English with a capital E. But I don't know!

brewnog said:
Okay, but which one?

Edit : Nevermind. I see you anticipated the extent of my illiteracy in your subsequent post.

brewnog said:
Excellent! Thanks George, that's a much more rational explanation.
Agreed. Good one, George.

brewnog said:
if the ambiguity is all in the French language... ...I don't see how you could get away without spelling English with a capital E.
Actually, if it's from the French it would be spelled with a capital 'A'. :tongue:

1. Can "It's" be used to signify ownership?

Yes, "it's" can be used to signify ownership in certain cases.

2. When is it appropriate to use "it's" to signify ownership?

"It's" is typically used to signify ownership when referring to a non-human object or animal. For example, "The dog wagged its tail."

3. Can "it's" be used to signify ownership for a person?

No, "it's" should not be used to signify ownership for a person. Instead, possessive pronouns such as "his" or "hers" should be used.

4. Is there a difference between using "it's" and "its" to signify ownership?

Yes, there is a difference. "It's" is a contraction of "it is" and should only be used to signify ownership in that form (e.g. "It's a nice day"). "Its" is a possessive pronoun and should be used to show ownership (e.g. "The tree lost its leaves").

5. Are there any exceptions to using "it's" to signify ownership?

Yes, there are some exceptions. In some cases, "it's" can be used as a possessive pronoun when referring to an object or animal with a specific gender (e.g. "The ship lost its anchor"). However, it is still recommended to use "its" in these cases to avoid confusion.