Marijuana And Psychedelic Effects On The Mind And Brain

In summary: I suppose coffee would count.In summary, it seems like the cannabis plant is built for the intelligent, inquisitive, imaginative, ect. mind. Not only do my senses, reason, intuition, and imagination expand on marijuana, I also understand science so much more. There is something it does to your logical faculty that makes you understand things your reason couldn't before using your imagination while high. I have heard in addition of expanding the senses it also heightens the ability of the left and right side of the brain. And it makes science so much more transcendent (as well as the natural world) that so many people lack. Unlike alcohol, it doesn't really make you slow, stupid, and doesn't kill brain
Silverbackman
Seriously, it seems like the cannabis plant is built for the intelligent, inquisitive, imaginative, ect. mind. Not only do my senses, reason, intuition, and imagination expand on marijuana, I also understand science so much more. There is something it does to your logical faculty that makes you understand things your reason couldn't before using your imagination while high. I have heard in addition of expanding the senses it also heightens the ability of the left and right side of the brain. And it makes science so much more transcendent (as well as the natural world) that so many people lack. Unlike alcohol, it doesn't really make you slow, stupid, and doesn't kill brain cells (although looks can be deceiving ;)).

Of course marijuana is a mild psychedelic. According to wiki a psychedelic are;

psychoactive drugs whose primary action is to enhance or amplify the thought processes of the brain. The term is derived from Greek ψυχη (psyche, "mind") and δηλειν (delein, "to manifest"), or δηλος (delos, "beautiful").

and are thought to;

disable filters which block or suppress signals related to mundane functions from reaching the conscious mind. These signals are presumed to originate in several other functions of the brain, including but not limited to the senses, emotions, memories and the unconscious (or subconscious) mind. This effect is sometimes referred to as mind expanding, or consciousness expanding as your conscious mind becomes aware of (or sometimes assaulted by) things normally inaccessible to it. At high levels this can overwhelm the sense of self and can result in a dissociative state.

That really says a lot on why it has the ability to improve the brain and perhaps make it more powerful, especially in the face of tough physics problems. From the more powerful psychedelics LSD and psilocybin people have even reported seeing objects in 4+ spatial dimensions. This really says a lot about their power to perhaps help the top minds in physics solve the M-Theory problems (by at least finding some evidence) and apply it to the so called "Theory Of Everything".

But the only scientist I have ever heard who at least takes in pot is Carl Sagan. I think he did do a good job in his career helping show the public the wonderful world of science. I think Einstein did some too, although I don't know for sure.

So what do these substances really do to the mind and brain?

Biology news on Phys.org
Silverbackman said:
So what do these substances really do to the mind and brain?
They seem to give the people who ingest them the illusory experience of having greater insights than they actually have.

Silverbackman said:
...From the more powerful psychedelics LSD and psilocybin people have even reported seeing objects in 4+ spatial dimensions.

Great. I always wanted to see how a sphere in R^n looks like. If I start taking drugs, you'll be the one guilty. :biggrin:

zoobyshoe said:
They seem to give the people who ingest them the illusory experience of having greater insights than they actually have.

Use your illusions ;)

zoobyshoe said:

Don't need cannabis for that. Booze will do it fine. In fact studies have shown that people don't need any artificial help with this enterprise at all.

zoobyshoe said:
:rofl: <snark>

selfAdjoint said:
Don't need cannabis for that. Booze will do it fine. In fact studies have shown that people don't need any artificial help with this enterprise at all.

Nah, booze kill brain cells. Marijuana and psychedelics don't ;).

selfAdjoint said:
Whooaaahh, DUDE! That was so deep! I got the shivvers.
Math Is Hard said:
:rofl: <snark>
Wow! That smilie says sooo much! Layers and layers of meaning! You could write an awsome book, dudette! Seriously!

zoobyshoe said:
Whooaaahh, DUDE! That was so deep! I got the shivvers.

Wow! That smilie says sooo much! Layers and layers of meaning! You could write an awsome book, dudette! Seriously!

Perhaps you can go more in-depth on what you mean :wink:.

mind-altering drugs do allow you a unique perspective. It's not always profound, though.

Silverbackman said:
Perhaps you can go more in-depth on what you mean :wink:.
Dude, ever taken a really close look at the quote button? I mean, just sit and stare at it for a while. Man the things it's taught me!

dude! I think he's making a mockery of stoners!

hes probably just a smart kid who likes to smoke weed too. I've tried to expand on my scientific understanding while high but I've found that id much rather watch aqua teen hunger force. I find it easier to do my homework drug free, with the exception of caffeine.

prox9 said:
hes probably just a smart kid who likes to smoke weed too.
That's me: a bright, 14 year old stoner.

zoobyshoe said:
That's me: a bright, 14 year old stoner.

I'm the only stoner in my e&m class and I got the highest score on our first test. Could be coincidence though, usually I'm in the average.

Most of the kids I went to school with were heavily into drugs, the ones that aren't dead, in prison, or suffering from an assortment of mental illnesses went on to achieve zero.

The ones that stopped getting stoned and shaped up are now leading productive lives.

Go figure.

Anyway, nothing comes from threads on this topic.

1. What is the difference between marijuana and psychedelics?

Marijuana and psychedelics are both types of drugs that can have mind-altering effects, but they have different chemical compositions and produce different effects on the mind and brain. Marijuana, also known as cannabis, contains the psychoactive compound tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which primarily acts on the brain's cannabinoid receptors, resulting in a sense of relaxation and euphoria. Psychedelics, on the other hand, contain compounds such as LSD, psilocybin, and DMT that work on different receptors in the brain, resulting in altered perceptions and hallucinations.

2. How does marijuana affect the brain?

Marijuana affects the brain by interacting with the endocannabinoid system, which is responsible for regulating various functions such as mood, memory, and appetite. THC in marijuana binds to cannabinoid receptors in the brain, causing a release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure and reward. This results in the characteristic feelings of relaxation and euphoria associated with marijuana use. However, long-term and heavy use of marijuana can also lead to changes in brain function and structure, potentially impacting memory, attention, and decision-making abilities.

3. What are the potential therapeutic effects of psychedelics on the mind and brain?

Research on psychedelics has shown potential therapeutic effects on the mind and brain, particularly in the treatment of mental health disorders such as depression, anxiety, and PTSD. These substances have been shown to work on the brain's default mode network, which is responsible for self-reflection and rumination, potentially leading to changes in perception and thought patterns. Additionally, psychedelics have been found to increase neuroplasticity and promote the growth of new brain cells, which could have positive impacts on mood and cognition.

4. Can marijuana and psychedelics have negative effects on the mind and brain?

Yes, both marijuana and psychedelics can have negative effects on the mind and brain, particularly with heavy and long-term use. Marijuana use has been linked to potential negative impacts on memory, attention, and decision-making abilities. For psychedelics, the intensity of the experience and potential for a bad trip can lead to negative psychological effects. Additionally, these substances can have potential negative interactions with other medications and pre-existing mental health conditions.

5. Is there ongoing research on the effects of marijuana and psychedelics on the mind and brain?

Yes, there is ongoing research on the effects of marijuana and psychedelics on the mind and brain. While these substances have been used for centuries in various cultures, there is still much to learn about their effects on the brain. In recent years, there has been a resurgence of interest in studying these substances for potential therapeutic purposes, leading to a growing body of research on their effects on the mind and brain. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential benefits and risks of marijuana and psychedelics use.