How do we use UV values in spectral analysis to identify molecules?

In summary: Often times we can also use the Lyman series to predict the energy of a particular photon. The Lyman series is a series of spectral lines which correspond to the transitions between different energy levels of an atom. Once we know the energy of a particular photon, we can use this information to confirm or reject the existence of a particular molecule.
babbagee
Wavelengths and dissociation??

I needed some help with this problem.

By using photons of specific wavelengths, chemists can dissociate gaseous HI to produce H atoms with accurately known speeds. When HI dissociates, the H atoms move away rapidly, wheras the relatively heavy I atoms move little.

a.) What is the longest wavelength that can dissociate a molecule of HI.
b.) If a photon of 254 nm is used, what is the excess energy (in J) over that needed for the dissociation?
c.) If all this excess energy is carried away by the H atom as kinetic energy, what is the speed(in m/s)?

i did part b but i got the wrong answer. I used the equation E=hc/wavelength. But i got the wrong answer.

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
a.) What is the longest wavelength that can dissociate a molecule of HI.

Bond dissociation energy=hv=h(c/wavelength), solve for wavelength.

b.) If a photon of 254 nm is used, what is the excess energy (in J) over that needed for the dissociation?

well, by now you know the energy required so this should be easy.
Find the energy corresponding to the above wavelength. Subtract the bond dissociation energy from this.

c.) If all this excess energy is carried away by the H atom as kinetic energy, what is the speed(in m/s)?

KE=.5mv(squared), solve for v, where KE is the answer to part b.

The problem is that i don't know what the bond dissociation energy is.

Without having seriously read this post I'll answer your last question.
Bond dissociation energy is the energy required to break a bond. It is the energy that is holding the bonds together. It is the energy required to dissociate a bond.

Question for GeneralChemTutor,

Can we produce a photon with 254nm wavelength?

What is the range that we can produce in the UV part of the spectrum?

LPF

Can we produce a photon with 254nm wavelength?

Yes.

I believe that the range for the UV spectrum is between 100-400nm.

GeneralChemTutor,

How does science work with UV values in spectral analysis since it is unseen? Energy, Temperature ?? Lyman series predicts - how do we confirm? (also looking for same idea w/ Paschen series - IR)

LPF

How does science work with UV values in spectral analysis since it is unseen? Energy, Temperature ?? Lyman series predicts - how do we confirm? (also looking for same idea w/ Paschen series - IR)

Some molecules absorb radiation within the UV range. So for instance, to ascertain between a sample which contains a certain molecule (which we know to absorb UV rays) and another (which does not), we can place both samples in a UV spectrophotometer and measure the degree of absorption. Absorption indicates that the UV rays were not reflected in any way or simply transferred throughout the molecule but that it induced a change within a molecule for instance in dislocating an electron or moving it up to a higher molecular orbital.

1. What is the relationship between wavelengths and dissociation?

The relationship between wavelengths and dissociation is that certain wavelengths of light can cause dissociation, or the breaking apart of molecules. This is because different molecules have specific bond energies, and when light with a certain wavelength is absorbed by the molecule, it can provide enough energy to break the bonds and cause dissociation.

2. How does the wavelength of light affect dissociation in molecules?

The wavelength of light directly affects dissociation in molecules because different wavelengths have different amounts of energy. Generally, shorter wavelengths have higher energy and can cause more dissociation compared to longer wavelengths. This is why ultraviolet light, with its short wavelengths, is more likely to cause dissociation than infrared light with longer wavelengths.

3. Can any wavelength of light cause dissociation?

No, not all wavelengths of light can cause dissociation. In order for dissociation to occur, the energy of the light must match or exceed the bond energy of the molecule. This means that only specific wavelengths of light can cause dissociation in a particular molecule.

4. How does the intensity of light affect dissociation?

The intensity of light can also affect dissociation in molecules. A higher intensity of light means more photons are being absorbed, providing more energy to the molecules and increasing the chances of dissociation. However, there is a limit to how much dissociation can occur, as too much energy can also lead to the molecules breaking apart into smaller pieces rather than just breaking bonds.

5. Can light be used to control dissociation in molecules?

Yes, light can be used to control dissociation in molecules. By carefully selecting the wavelength and intensity of light, scientists can control the amount of dissociation that occurs in a molecule. This technique, known as photodissociation, has many applications in fields such as chemistry, biology, and medicine.