Carl Jung on Archetypes: Inborn or Taught?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Chaos' lil bro Order
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the origin of archetypes and whether they are innate or taught. The speaker suggests that they are passed down through storytelling and cultural influences, but also acknowledges the role of genetics and life experiences. They also provide a link to further information on the topic.
Chaos' lil bro Order
I was watching a video on Carl Jung and an interview with him. He said that archetypes are passed down from generation to generation by story-telling, or other cultural equivalents. My question is that I thought archetypes were supposed to be inate and that they did not require 'teaching'. So which is it? Are we born with archetypal images hardwired, or are we taught them?

Biology news on Phys.org
Sheesh, 300 views and no replies. Any shrinks at PF or is it all physicist?

My impression is that the Archtetypes are part of our inherited Collective Unconscious,and also partially acquired through life experiences from our day of birth,so,please correct me if I am wrong:smile:
Regards

Alwinder

I think the Jugian Archetypes are clearly born from environmental nourishment. The genetic predisposition to certain things is also a driving factor.

What are archetypes according to Carl Jung?

According to Carl Jung, archetypes are universal, inherited patterns or images that are present in the collective unconscious of all humans. They are symbols or representations of certain universal human experiences and behaviors.

Are archetypes inborn or taught?

Carl Jung believed that archetypes are inborn, meaning that they are present within us from birth. They are not learned or taught, but rather are a part of our inherent human nature.

What evidence supports the idea of inborn archetypes?

Jung believed that the existence of similar archetypes across different cultures and time periods is evidence of their inborn nature. He also argued that the consistent use of archetypes in myths, fairy tales, and dreams further supports the idea of their innate presence in the human psyche.

Can archetypes change over time?

While archetypes are considered to be universal and inborn, Jung also believed that they can manifest and evolve differently in individuals based on their unique experiences and cultural context. Therefore, archetypes can be seen as both timeless and evolving.

How can understanding archetypes be beneficial?

Jung believed that understanding and working with archetypes can help individuals gain insight into their own psyche, as well as connect with universal human experiences and themes. This can lead to personal growth, self-discovery, and a deeper understanding of the human experience.