Heat transfer from water to oil

In summary, the experimental data suggests that the surface area of contact affects the rate of temperature change, but one beaker had a surprising result.
tup
ok, this is more of a question of theory than actual calculation. Me and my friends did a physics lab on heat transfer vs. surface area of contact. We used water and oil (since oil will float above the water and creating a surface of contact). We heated the water to ~50 degrees C and oil was left at room temperature. We used different sizes of beakers (with ghetto style insulation) to create different areas of contact, and we measured the temperature with a temperature probe that's plugged into the laptop. so basically we have graphs with the temperature of water decreasing while the temperature of the oil increasing.

the problem: the usual equation for heat transfer through conduction has Q (heat transfer), t (time), k (conductivity of barrier), A (area of contact), T (temperature final and initial), and d (thickness of barrier). The problem is with d. since there wasn't an actual barrier in our experiment (it's just water and oil), there wouldn't be a d (d would equal to zero). and if that's true, then the equation won't work.

so my question: what should I do now? is there another equation that fits my purpose?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be hard to make a mathematical model of your experiment. By "hard", I mean the relevant equations are known, but many people are currently doing PhD-level research looking for good ways to solve them!

You are right there is no "barrier" to heat flow between the two liquids. The heat flow is partly by conduction through the liquids, but mostly by convection - i.e. the liquid moves because its density changes with temperature, and it carries the heat with it. The flow patterns in convection can be very complicated. The equations modelling the fluid behaviour are called the Navier-Stokes equations, if you want to look them up on the web.

I think one option would be to change the experiment so you eliminate convection. Then you could use the heat conduction equation to model what happens.

One way to do that would be to have the hottest part of the system at the top and the coldest at the bottom. If you had a movable temperature probe (or several probes) you could measure the temperature gradient through the depths of the liquids and compare it with the conduction equation solution.

thx so much for the reply

basically, we obtain the rate of temp changes from the data, so according to our hypothesis, the larger the surface area the higher of the rate, right?
but the thing is, one of our trial, the one with the largest beaker, is really screwed up. the rate of that one is actually lower than the 2nd largest beaker, while still larger than the 2 smallst ones; if we ignore that data, the graph of rate vs surface area would be almost a straight line or in other words, in a directly proportional relationship.

my group wants to try the lab with a improved procedure but our phys teacher says we got enough data to finish it up and won't let us do a new one. so any suggestion what we should do?
thx man, pls reply

Last edited:
If you are not allowed to do any more experients, then you can't do anything very much! (That also happens in real life, when the money runs out).

The obvious possibilities would be

(1) You made a mistake, e.g. wrong "hot" temperature of the water, wrong quantity of liquids, wrong temperature probe calibration, etc.

(2) There is something different about the experimental setup with the largest beaker - e.g. a different amount of heat insulation, the beaker was made from a different material, etc.

Don't get too worried if you can't find the reason. You should get some credit for noticing you had one result that doesn't fit with the others, even if you can't explain it.

What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object to another due to a temperature difference between them. It can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

How does heat transfer from water to oil work?

Heat transfer from water to oil occurs through conduction, which is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two substances. When water and oil are in contact, the warmer water molecules transfer their thermal energy to the cooler oil molecules, causing the oil to heat up.

What factors affect heat transfer from water to oil?

The rate of heat transfer from water to oil is affected by the temperature difference between the two substances, the thickness of the container they are in, and the thermal conductivity of the materials they are made of.

What is the most efficient way to transfer heat from water to oil?

The most efficient way to transfer heat from water to oil is by increasing the surface area of contact between the two substances. This can be achieved by using a larger container or by stirring the mixture.

Is heat transfer from water to oil reversible?

Yes, heat transfer from water to oil is reversible. If the temperature difference between the two substances is reversed, the heat will transfer from the oil to the water instead.