Solid state technology/electronics textbook?

In summary: The book by Richard Turton is a good resource for engineers who want to learn more about solid state physics. It is not a comprehensive introduction to condensed matter physics, but it will cover the basics. If you are planning on specializing in solid state technology, this book is a good investment.
leright
I am doing a directed study in solid state technology next semester and I need to find a book I would like to use. The professor mentioned this textbook by ben streetman. I have been reading through it myself and while it is a decent book, I figure there might be something better out there for this subject. The link to the streetman book is below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131587676/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The professor asked me if I had a preference for a book. I would be fine with streetman (the prof already has a copy too), but if there's something better then I'd like to use it.

This is a field that I would like to get into and study in further depth, so I want to use the best book possible. Something rigorous, yet reader friendly.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Streetman's book is the standard text used by engineers for solid state theory. For supplemental reading, look into S. M. Sze (for solid state devices) and Kittel or Ashcroft & Mermin (for solid state physics).

I am also taking a condesned matter physics course that uses 'the physics of solids', by richard turton.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0198503520/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Is this a good book for a consensed matter course? Will this course supplement the solid state technology course? Are the two courses too similar? One of an engineering class and the other is a physics class.

Last edited by a moderator:
leright said:
I am also taking a condesned matter physics course that uses 'the physics of solids', by richard turton.
This is quite unusual. Is this course being offered by the physics dept or by some engineering dept? Turton's book (which I've never read, myself) is also typically used by engineers, to the best of my knowledge.

If you intend to specialize in anything but solid state devices or a materials related field, the two courses would be too similar to each other to be a good use of time and money. If, however, you do plan to specialize in solid state technology, then this combination could be useful.

Gokul43201 said:
This is quite unusual. Is this course being offered by the physics dept or by some engineering dept? Turton's book (which I've never read, myself) is also typically used by engineers, to the best of my knowledge.

If you intend to specialize in anything but solid state devices or a materials related field, the two courses would be too similar to each other to be a good use of time and money. If, however, you do plan to specialize in solid state technology, then this combination could be useful.

I plan to specialize in solid state tech and the condensed matter course is offered by the physics department. So, I guess having these two courses will help me master the subject, but if they overlap a great deal then maybe I should reconsider taking both of these...I will talk to the professors teaching the course...

I guess my question is, is the turton book going to give me a proper education in condensed matter physics, from a physicist's perspective, including subjects like superconductivity?

1. What is solid state technology?

Solid state technology is a branch of electronics that deals with the design, fabrication, and use of devices made from solid materials, such as silicon and germanium. These devices use the electrical properties of solid materials to control the flow of electrons, allowing for the creation of electronic circuits and devices.

2. What is the difference between solid state technology and traditional electronics?

The main difference between solid state technology and traditional electronics is the materials used. Traditional electronics rely on vacuum tubes and other components made from materials like glass and metal, while solid state technology uses solid materials like silicon. Solid state technology also allows for the miniaturization of electronic components, making devices smaller and more efficient.

3. What are some common applications of solid state technology?

Solid state technology is used in a wide range of applications, including computers, smartphones, televisions, and other consumer electronics. It is also used in industrial and scientific equipment, such as sensors, lasers, and power supplies. Additionally, solid state technology is being increasingly used in renewable energy sources, such as solar panels and wind turbines.

4. What are the main components of a solid state device?

A solid state device typically consists of three main components: a semiconductor material, such as silicon or germanium, which acts as a base for the device; a dopant, which is a material added to the semiconductor to alter its electrical properties; and metal contacts, which allow for the flow of electrons in and out of the device. Other components, such as resistors and capacitors, may also be included depending on the specific device.

5. How has solid state technology evolved over time?

Solid state technology has undergone significant advancements since its inception in the 1950s. Early devices were large and expensive, but as technology progressed, solid state devices became smaller, more efficient, and more affordable. Today, solid state technology has revolutionized the electronics industry and continues to evolve with the development of new materials and techniques.