What are Saturn's rings made of and how are they formed?

In summary, the discussion revolves around the origins and composition of Saturn's rings. It is believed that one of Saturn's smaller moons, Enceladus, is the main source of the planet's largest ring, known as the 'E-ring', due to its volcanic activity that showers the orbit of Saturn with water. The rings are made of chunks of dirty ice, ranging from boulders to snowflakes. The moons are believed to have been torn apart by Saturn's gravitational pull, particularly within the Roche limit. It is also noted that the discussion took place on an astronomy forum, where the topic of Saturn is being discussed.
billiards
I know this isn't really 'earth sciences' but there is no planetary forum that I am aware of. Anyway, why does Saturn have rings, and what are they made of?

I read somewhere that Enceladus is the major souce of Saturn's largest ring, the 'E-ring'. What does that mean?

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/media/cassini-072905.html

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Sorry no answer but you could try Astrophysics, there is a thread ongoing about Saturn right there. The active moderaters will probably be kind enough to move your thread.

Saturn has rings likely because one of its smaller icy moons got too close and was torn apart. This is likely not an uncommon occurrence in some planet's histories. The rings are not permanent structures, and will eventually disappear.

The rings are made of chunks of dirty ice from boulders down to snowflakes.

Enceladus has volcanos that erupt with water, showering the orbit of Saturn with it. This feeds the rings.

Here is a Astronomy forum: http://astro.forumup.co.uk/?mforum=astro

Thanks Dave that makes sense. But how did the moons get torn apart, tidal forces I presume?

billiards said:
Thanks Dave that makes sense. But how did the moons get torn apart, tidal forces I presume?

Yes. The rings are within Saturn's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roche_limit" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:
Saturn has rings because its gravitational pull pulled in both large and small objects. Over time it built up to the rings you see now

Note that this thread is two years old...

...and that answer is wrong!

1. What are Saturn's rings made of?

Saturn's rings are made up of countless small particles of ice and rock, ranging in size from tiny grains to large boulders.

2. How were Saturn's rings formed?

The exact origin of Saturn's rings is still unknown, but one theory suggests that they were formed from the debris of a moon or other object that was torn apart by Saturn's gravity.

3. Why does Saturn have rings and not other planets?

Saturn's rings are thought to be the result of its large size and relatively low density. The gravitational pull of the planet's massive core is strong enough to keep the rings in orbit, but not strong enough to pull them into the planet itself.

4. How many rings does Saturn have?

Saturn has a total of 7 main rings, named A through G, with numerous gaps and divisions in between. These rings are further divided into thousands of smaller ringlets.

5. Can we see Saturn's rings from Earth?

Yes, Saturn's rings are easily visible from Earth with a telescope or even binoculars. However, their appearance may change depending on the angle of Saturn's tilt in relation to Earth.