Intersection of two 3D parametric curves

In summary, the conversation is about finding the intersection of two parametric curves in three dimensions. The equations for the curves are given, but the individual trying to solve for the intersection is having difficulty with the mathematics. They are using t for one curve and s for the other, and have three linear equations to solve for the two unknown parameters. They are trying to find an analytical solution for t so they can solve for theta_m and phi_m, but it seems that in the 3D case this may not be possible.
Quaoar
Hi, I have two parametric curves defined in three dimensions, which are functions of a variable t, like so:

x1 = f1(t)
y1 = f2(t)
z1 = f3(t)

x2 = f4(t)
y2 = f5(t)
z2 = f6(t)

I am trying to find the intersection of these two curves, but I am having some difficulty with the mathematics. In two dimensions, I simply solve for t as a function of x, and then plug that value of t into my y function to obtain y as a function of x. With three equations, I cannot do this.

Any idea of how I should approach this problem? Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In general, 3 dimensional curves won't intersect. You need more information.

Well, I do know that they have a single intersection, no more and no less. I'll flesh out the actual equations here:

x1 = v_e * cos(theta_e) * cos(phi_e) * t
y1 = v_e * cos(theta_e) * sin(phi_e) * t
z1 = v_e * sin(theta_e) - g/2 * t^2

x2 = x_m + v_m * cos(theta_m) * cos(phi_m) * t
y2 = y_m + v_m * cos(theta_m) * sin(phi_m) * t
z2 = v_m * sin(theta_m) * t

v_e, theta_e, phi_e, x_m, y_m, v_m, theta_m, and phi_m are all constants. The first equation is a parabola, the second equation is a line.

At the point of intersection, the x, y, z values for each set of parametric equations has to be equal but the values of the parameters do not. I recommend you use t for one, s for the other.

You have
x1= v_e * cos(theta_e) * cos(phi_e) * t= x_m + v_m * cos(theta_m) * cos(phi_m) * s= x2,

y1 = v_e * cos(theta_e) * sin(phi_e) * t= y_m + v_m * cos(theta_m) * sin(phi_m) * s= y2

z1= v_e * sin(theta_e) - g/2 * t^2= v_m * sin(theta_m) *s

You have three linear equations to solve for the two unknown parameters. You should be able to do that using only two of the equations. Then try putting those parameters into the third equation to see if they are the same. If so that is the point of intersection. If not, then they do not intersect.

mathman, you don't need "more information". Either they intersect or they don't!

Well, actually, I know that s = t at the point of intersection.

What I'm trying to do is find an analytical solution for t so that I can solve for theta_m and phi_m. In the 2D case, we just have to solve for theta_m, and I found that the solution was transcendental, requiring the solution for theta_m to be computed numerically.

So in essence, we have three unknowns: t, theta_m, phi_m. In the 2D case, I was able to find an analytical solution for t for both curves, which I then set equal to each other, and then used a numerical computation to determine the value of theta_m. It appears that in the 3D case I cannot do this?

1. What does the intersection of two 3D parametric curves represent?

The intersection of two 3D parametric curves represents the point or points where the two curves meet in three-dimensional space. These points can be thought of as the common solutions to the equations of both curves.

2. How are the equations of two 3D parametric curves typically written?

The equations of two 3D parametric curves are typically written in the form of parametric equations, where the x, y, and z coordinates are expressed as functions of a parameter, such as t or u.

3. Can two 3D parametric curves intersect at more than one point?

Yes, two 3D parametric curves can intersect at more than one point. This occurs when there are multiple solutions to the equations of both curves, resulting in multiple points of intersection.

4. How can the intersection of two 3D parametric curves be calculated?

The intersection of two 3D parametric curves can be calculated by setting the parametric equations of both curves equal to each other, and then solving for the parameter(s) that result in the same x, y, and z coordinates for both curves.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when finding the intersection of two 3D parametric curves?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when finding the intersection of two 3D parametric curves. These include when one or both curves are lines, when one curve is contained within the other, and when the curves do not intersect at all.