Do 3023 batteries exist? (not CR ones)

• Thread starter fine82
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Batteries
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a replacement battery for a Dreamcast console. The original battery, a 3023, is no longer available and there are conflicting opinions on whether a CR3203 battery can be used as a substitute. The main concern is the risk of leakage since the Dreamcast will attempt to recharge the battery. It is suggested to use a VL3032/1GUF battery instead, but it may come with a higher cost.
fine82
Do 3023 batteries exist!? (not CR ones)

Hello everyone

I am new on these forums and wanted to ask if anyone knew anything about 3023 batteries.

I have a Dreamcast console that is very old and the circular battery inside the console that is responsible for keeping the internal clock running is now useless. Everytime you turn on the console, the Dreamcast will ask you to input the time again.

After checking out related websites, I have found that I need to replace the battery with 3023 battery. But that's where the problem is.

There are conflicting opinons. Some say CR3203. Some say 3023 rechargeable only. Some say they are both the same.

Apparently, the Dreamcast will attempt to recharge the battery and since the CR3203 batteries are non rechargeable, there will be risk of leak.

The main problem is, there aren't any 3023 batteries for sale. A search on ebay will come up with several pages of CR3023 batteries but just 3023.. nothing. No stores stock them. Does anyone know where I can get some?

For that matter, does it sound like the CR3023 battery risk is real? Anybody with expertise in this area able to help me out? The main concern is, is there any danger in putting that CR3023 battery in?

Thank you very much.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your question. After conducting some research, it seems that 3023 batteries do exist, but they are not as common as CR3023 batteries. The main difference between the two is that the CR3023 is a non-rechargeable lithium battery, while the 3023 is a rechargeable nickel-cadmium battery. It is possible that the rechargeable 3023 battery was originally recommended for use in the Dreamcast console, but the non-rechargeable CR3023 is a suitable replacement. However, it is important to note that using a non-rechargeable battery in a device designed for rechargeable batteries can potentially cause damage or leakage. It is always best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for battery replacements. If you are unable to find a 3023 battery, it may be best to consult with a technician or the manufacturer for further guidance.

1. Do 3023 batteries have the same dimensions as CR batteries?

No, 3023 batteries have different dimensions than CR batteries. 3023 batteries are typically smaller and thinner than CR batteries.

2. Can 3023 batteries be used interchangeably with CR batteries?

No, 3023 batteries have different voltage and chemistry than CR batteries, therefore they cannot be used interchangeably.

3. What devices use 3023 batteries?

3023 batteries are commonly used in smaller electronic devices such as remote controls, key fobs, and LED lights.

4. Are 3023 batteries rechargeable?

No, 3023 batteries are typically non-rechargeable and are meant to be used as disposable batteries.

5. How do 3023 batteries compare in price to CR batteries?

It depends on the brand and where you are purchasing them, but in general 3023 batteries may be slightly cheaper than CR batteries.