Principle of Virtual Work and Feynman

In summary: The energy is still kinetic, even though it's being used to do nothing.In summary, Feynman discusses how virtual work can be used to calculate the force exerted by an object. He uses three examples to illustrate the principle. One example uses a body moving under a force, another uses a screw with a weight attached, and the third example uses a weight that is dropped. He explains that virtual work is useful because constraint forces disappear when you perform your analysis and so you don't have to solve for unknown internal reactions.
lugita15
I was just reading the Feynman Lectures on Physics when Feynman discussed virtual work. Unfortunately, I found his explanation somewhat confusing.
The following are the three examples Feynman uses in order to illustrate the principle of virtual work.
Virtual Work 1.JPG

Virtual Work 2.JPG

Virtual Work 3.JPG

I'm trying to understand the principle of virtual work. Is there anyone who could elucidate Feynman's explanation.

Thank You in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I find it difficult to understand just about everything Feynman says!

But there's nothing very complicated here: He's say suppose a body moved under a force- calculating the work done and then dividing by the distance tells us the force. Of course, this only works when you can calculate the work done without using the unknown force- essentially conservative forces where you can use potential energy. If you added friction to any of those examples, the method would not work any more.

Likes Prehistorik Watcher
Without going into depth,

Virtual work has the following properties:

- Infinitesimal displacements
- Consistent with system constraints
- The variation of displacements occur instantaneously, so time is not involved.

Virtual work is useful because constraint forces disappear when you perform your analysis and so you don't have to solve for unknown internal reactions.

Using your explanation, I kind of understand the principle of virtual work, and fully understand the first example.
I almost understand the second example, except I don't see where Feynman got the 126 inches from. How do you know the radius of the screw?
However, I still don't see how the third example works. How do you know that when the weight falls 4 inches that the center will rise 2 inches? Also, how do you know that the point 2 inches from the fixed end will rise 1 inch?

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

HallsofIvy said:
Of course, this only works when you can calculate the work done without using the unknown force- essentially conservative forces where you can use potential energy. If you added friction to any of those examples, the method would not work any more.
I disagree. The energy dissipated by friction becomes thermal or internal energy. So friction is also, ultimately, a conservative force.

lugita15 said:
I disagree. The energy dissipated by friction becomes thermal or internal energy. So friction is also, ultimately, a conservative force.
I wasn't talking about "conservation of energy". Look up "conservative force".

lugita15 said:
Using your explanation, I kind of understand the principle of virtual work, and fully understand the first example.
I almost understand the second example, except I don't see where Feynman got the 126 inches from. How do you know the radius of the screw?
You are told that the handle is 20 inches long so the end of the handle goes around in a circle with diameter 40 inches. [itex]40\pi[/itex] is approximately 126 inches.

However, I still don't see how the third example works. How do you know that when the weight falls 4 inches that the center will rise 2 inches? Also, how do you know that the point 2 inches from the fixed end will rise 1 inch?
Use proportions. If the weight falls 4 inches, since the cord attaching it to the end of the bar does not stretch, the end of the bar rises 4 inches. You should be able to see that, looking at the initial position of the bar and its (virtual) position after "moving" that you have 3 similar triangles. One with vertex at the end of the bar, another with vertex at the center weight and one with vertex at the lower weight. Since the triangles are similar, the vertical distances raised are in the same proportions as the distances from the pivot to the weights and end of bar. The center weight has distance from the pivot 1/2 the length of the bar and so rises half the distance the end of the bar does. The lower weight is 1/4 the length of the bar from the pivot and so rises 1/4 the distance the end of the bar does.

HallsofIvy said:
I wasn't talking about "conservation of energy". Look up "conservative force".
I know you what a conservative force is. When a ball is rolled and starts to slow down due to friction, the energy is still kinetic energy. Heat is simply the kinetic energy of individual molecules. If you roll a ball around a closed path on a rough surface, zero work is done on it.

1. What is the principle of virtual work?

The principle of virtual work is a fundamental concept in mechanics that states that the work done by the internal forces of a system, as well as the external applied forces, is equal to zero in a state of equilibrium.

2. How is the principle of virtual work used in structural analysis?

In structural analysis, the principle of virtual work is used to determine the displacement and internal forces in a structure by considering virtual displacements and virtual forces. It allows for the simplification of complex systems and the determination of equilibrium conditions.

3. What is the connection between the principle of virtual work and Feynman diagrams?

The principle of virtual work is a fundamental concept in mechanics, while Feynman diagrams are used in quantum field theory to represent particle interactions. However, both concepts share a similar mathematical framework, known as the path integral formulation, which allows for the calculation of probabilities and amplitudes in both classical and quantum systems.

4. Can the principle of virtual work be applied to non-mechanical systems?

Yes, the principle of virtual work can be applied to any system that obeys the laws of equilibrium. This includes electrical, thermal, and fluid systems, among others.

5. What are the limitations of the principle of virtual work?

The principle of virtual work is only applicable to systems in a state of equilibrium, and it assumes that the material of the system is linear and elastic. It also does not take into account the effects of time, such as viscosity and plasticity, and cannot be used for systems with large deformations.